+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Italian election

I think I’ve posted this before on another thread, in the past, up until a year back I was living and working in Frankfurt and working very closely with quite a few Italians who had to come to Germany for work, with probably the same amount of Portuguese there too (similar story to the Italians).

In there own words their country is fecked, there is no work there hence why they were in Germany working for lower wages than they thought they were worth (exploited by the Germans in their words).

Their main gripe was the EU, they see their country as a gateway to Europe for immigrants, with one telling me that the immigrants were far better off financialy than his own mother who had worked their for most of her life, and he was very, very bitter about that.

They are bitter and want change of some sort, I was there when the referendum was on and I was asked a lot by the Italians and the Portuguese in particular which way I was going to vote. A lot of them said that if they had the chance they would vote to leave, they want their countries back.

It’s a shame as I can see what benefits the EU brings with living and working in Europe, yet they’re is something about being British and independent, there’s a strange welcoming feeling when driving back from Germany when you’re on the boat back and see the cliffs of Dover, I guess home is home when all is said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    That's google translate for you. To have put an accent in it, would have upset the lefties and the stereotyping racist accusations, would be flying.
    Is Google translate to blame for the unnecessary commas in your post, or is that down to your own illiteracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Is Google translate to blame for the unnecessary commas in your post, or is that down to your own illiteracy?
    I'm afraid google translate. I just copied and pasted.
    Sorry to disappoint. xx

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    I think I’ve posted this before on another thread, in the past, up until a year back I was living and working in Frankfurt and working very closely with quite a few Italians who had to come to Germany for work, with probably the same amount of Portuguese there too (similar story to the Italians).

In there own words their country is fecked, there is no work there hence why they were in Germany working for lower wages than they thought they were worth (exploited by the Germans in their words).

Their main gripe was the EU, they see their country as a gateway to Europe for immigrants, with one telling me that the immigrants were far better off financialy than his own mother who had worked their for most of her life, and he was very, very bitter about that.

They are bitter and want change of some sort, I was there when the referendum was on and I was asked a lot by the Italians and the Portuguese in particular which way I was going to vote. A lot of them said that if they had the chance they would vote to leave, they want their countries back.

It’s a shame as I can see what benefits the EU brings with living and working in Europe, yet they’re is something about being British and independent, there’s a strange welcoming feeling when driving back from Germany when you’re on the boat back and see the cliffs of Dover, I guess home is home when all is said and done.
    Interesting perspective but I'd bear in mind that it's a small group, who incidentally are taking advantage of the free movement the EU offers by working in Germany.

The African immigrants get around 30 euros per day allocated for them, which doesn't go to them but to the associations that house and feed them. The scrupulous ones do a good job, the ones run by organised crime pocket the 30e and leave them living in squalid conditions. Immigration is a lucrative business for the various mafias.

Fake news reports of African migrants being put up in 5 star hotels and receiving 30e a day pocket money are the tools of Salvini's trade.

I don't know how they make the connection between high youth unemployment and immigrants. Italy has had high youth unemployment and economic stagnation pretty much since Berlusconi came to power.

They had the crash in 2008 but had never had the boom before that. Employment laws which made people on permanent contracts pretty much unsackable didn't help either (imo) and a lot of Italians have a kind of cognitive dissonance about this, praising the fluid labour markets of northern Europe while steadfastly refusing to liberalise their own, all while complaining about the lack of jobs. Anyway Renzi liberalised the employment laws a couple of years ago and the economy seems to be picking up.

I don't know how much your friends' mothers earn but I think there was a bit of poetic licence involved, unless they really do make less than guys who don't speak the language and just stand outside supermarkets all day begging for change.

I'm afraid google translate. I just copied and pasted.
    Sorry to disappoint. xx
    In that case, it's probably best if you stick to posting on subjects where you have at least a basic knowledge.

Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Interesting perspective but I'd bear in mind that it's a small group, who incidentally are taking advantage of the free movement the EU offers by working in Germany.

I don't know how much your friends' mothers earn but I think there was a bit of poetic licence involved, unless they really do make less than guys who don't speak the language and just stand outside supermarkets all day begging for change.
    Even though there’s free movement I think that’s the point that they had to move to Germany, interestingly at the time there was approx 200 of us working there with 22 different nationalities.

I think he was referring to the fact that his mother had retired, payed into the system but was worse off than most coming across (in their eyes)

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    Even though there’s free movement I think that’s the point that they had to move to Germany, interestingly at the time there was approx 200 of us working there with 22 different nationalities.

I think he was referring to the fact that his mother had retired, payed into the system but was worse off than most coming across (in their eyes)
    People were moving there before the immigration crisis though. The sad thing about Italy is that it's a country with great potential, not a basket case like Greece. What's holding it back is not immigrants (although that's obviously not helping)

I don't remember the exact figure but I think around a hundred politicians in the last parliament either had a criminal record or were under investigation. That is just staggering, if we had 5 it would be a major scandal.

Again I don't remember the exact figures but it costs substantially more to build 1km of motorway in Italy than in Germany despite the fact the weather is better and manpower is cheaper. This is because of rampant corruption.

Silvio Berlusconi used 20 years of government (and parliamentary immunity) purely to make his businesses richer and stay out of prison. You can stand up on Italian TV and say that he paid the Sicilian mafia via an intermediary, and he can't sue you because it's written in court sentences.

It's corruption that meant your friends had to go to Germany to find work, and it's corruption that people were voting to get rid of with M5S.

The demographic chart of Italy is quite interesting. Like Brexit, most of the country has opted for anti establishment and the national stance is rising. Like it or lump it, national realisation has surged massively across Europe. The EU has taken the piss out of so many, for too long.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng...nzi-berlusconi

(used the Guardian, as the denialists don't believe any other rag)

The demographic chart of Italy is quite interesting. Like Brexit, most of the country has opted for anti establishment and the national stance is rising. Like it or lump it, national realisation has surged massively across Europe. The EU has taken the piss out of so many, for too long.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng...nzi-berlusconi

(used the Guardian, as the denialists don't believe any other rag)
    I'm guessing that the real reason you actually used the Guardian is because your newspaper of choice doesn't publish in depth analysis and demographic breakdowns, but ok let's pretend the Express has published its considered analysis and you just chose to link to the Guardian instead.

As regards the rest, how are you linking this to the EU? I know you tried it with their referendum a year or so ago, which had nothing whatsoever to do with the EU, and this has a bit more to do with the EU than that did, but what conclusions are you drawing and why?

In your own words please, without copying and pasting or linking to YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I'm guessing that the real reason you actually used the Guardian is because your newspaper of choice doesn't publish in depth analysis and demographic breakdowns, but ok let's pretend the Express has published its considered analysis and you just chose to link to the Guardian instead.

As regards the rest, how are you linking this to the EU? I know you tried it with their referendum a year or so ago, which had nothing whatsoever to do with the EU, and this has a bit more to do with the EU than that did, but what conclusions are you drawing and why?

In your own words please, without copying and pasting or linking to YouTube.
    Don't hold your breath.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast