+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bid in for midfielder

Quote Originally Posted by gwru View Post
    Thought we'd signed a new midfielder with all the posts. Frog' I've said all this before. Didn't I say a while back do you want to go back to Millers05 or Dennis Coleman & got shot down. But I'm used to that.
    Another classic example of missing the point 😕

I've wrong thread or something. What else can we do. We've got TS. I'm grateful. He hasn't got endless pockets. It's better now than 10 yrs ago when he became chairman. I'd like us to have a bigger budget but we haven't but it's still better than pre- Tony Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Some people always want to look back and say we must have endless sycophantic gratitude.
    Others are grateful for what TS has done to date but want to look forward and ask what are the ambitions of the club?
    Nothing wrong with that surely.
    My post isn’t ‘looking back – read it.. We continue to play at NYS, remain financially stable and are at least competitive this season.

If your definition of sycophancy is ‘setting out the factual position’ then sign me up. I’ll be a sycophant until the cows come home. Or are you suggesting that there is something factually incorrect in my post?

We all want to look forward and we all want a rosy future for the club and of course it is right to have ambition. On the available evidence, such as the unwillingness to seek to compete with a Championship club for the signature of Moore, we can safely say that ‘remaining financially stable’ appears to be one of the current owner’s primary ambitions. I, for one, am grateful for that (note the unashamed present tense).

What is your ambition for the club? On the JCH thread, you appear to be bemoaning the likelihood that we won’t be making a stellar (by which I assume you mean expensive) signing, whereas recently you seemed to suggest that we follow Peterborough United in seeking hidden (i.e. cheap) players from lower and non-league clubs.

If you want us to be Peterborough United, take a look at their accounts. They were £6.5 million in debt as at June 2016. In addition, in October 2017, they entered into two loan facilities with the Shawbrook Bank Limited. The collateral they put up was a Promissory Note issued by Bristol Rover relating to the transfer of Tom Nichols and a Promissory Note issued by Nottingham Forest relating to the transfer of Britt Assombalonga. And they are lower than us in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    I once had a great pair of boots that got a hole in them but I kept wearing them because they reminded me where I'd been. I'll not moan about the hole because I'm grateful for the boots. Neither will I moan that the stitching has come undone because they were made by the best cobbler in the world so I should be grateful because he didn't have to make them he just chose to do them. I daren't ask for him to repair the boots as I may be sounding ungrateful. Maybe he'll stick a plaster over the hole and then everything will be well again because the best cobbler did it and I must toff my cap every time his name is mentioned!
    That would be a great analogy if it actually bore some resemblance to the position that Rotherham United is in.

The first problem with the analogy is that the cobbler didn’t just make the boots; he paid for them - largely out of his own pocket - before giving them to you. So why wouldn’t you remain grateful for them after they have started to wear?

Someone bought me a very decent bottle of Scotch at Christmas. I’ll remain grateful for that long after it’s finished. Why wouldn’t I? On the face of the evidence of some of the posts on this board, I should, instead, become resentful that I wasn’t bought an even better bottle or given a lifetime supply rather than 70cl.

The second problem with your analogy is that the boots that you were given remain perfectly serviceable and do not have a hole in them. That’s because the cobbler has – largely at his own expense – maintained them for you, periodically repairing the stitching and re-soling them. Indeed, given the club’s league position compared to that when he bought the boots for you, he has improved rather than just maintained them.

To extend your analogy a little, if you don’t like what the cobbler is offering there are plenty of other shoe shops on the High Street. If it’s bespoke hand-stitched Italian leather that you are looking for, the Etihad really is probably the best one for you at the moment.

P.s. I don’t doff my cap to anyone. I say what I think. It’s one of the reasons that I am such a popular poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    Weird how bid for midfielder turn out like this
    To my surprise, I completely agree, K. It's extraordinary that a thread about Warne saying that money has been made available to him for transfers appears to have been taken over by a group of Eeyore impersonators.

The criticism of Warne for expressing gratitude for money being made available was particularly breath-taking. I think we can safely assume that Warne would want to improve his squad after the departure of Frecklington and Moore and would be grateful that money has been made available to give him the opportunity to do that. What on earth could be wrong with him saying so?

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    To my surprise, I completely agree, K. It's extraordinary that a thread about Warne saying that money has been made available to him for transfers appears to have been taken over by a group of Eeyore impersonators.

The criticism of Warne for expressing gratitude for money being made available was particularly breath-taking. I think we can safely assume that Warne would want to improve his squad after the departure of Frecklington and Moore and would be grateful that money has been made available to give him the opportunity to do that. What on earth could be wrong with him saying so?
    K?

I am K...Surely Shirley.

Haven’t we put a second bid in for a Midfielder?

We have, but the Eeyore Brigade already know that he won't be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    We have, but the Eeyore Brigade already know that he won't be very good.
    They should of course be entitled to their opinion without being repeatedly subjected to derision.

Even if its wrong? 😋

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast