+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Betting

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    Hello Jeremy.

I love betting, I rent a shop to a bookie, they always pay on time and up front, I wonder why lol xxxx Keep going in mate, I love spending the rent.
    Further proof of your lack of knowledge on the subject. I've probably been in a bookies twice in the last 5 years, and both times it was to watch a race rather than place a bet. I'd guess that 99% of those who go in betting shops are the mugs, they are the ones who subsidise the many online offers that gives the shrewdies a decent chance of beating the odds.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Further proof of your lack of knowledge on the subject. I've probably been in a bookies twice in the last 5 years, and both times it was to watch a race rather than place a bet. I'd guess that 99% of those who go in betting shops are the mugs, they are the ones who subsidise the many online offers that gives the shrewdies a decent chance of beating the odds.

Good for you. I feel much better now..

Good for you. I feel much better now..
    Don't feel better, just stick to posting on subjects where you have at least a basic knowledge of the subject.

Oops, just realised that would mean you permanently logging out.

I have a " lack of knowledge on the subject " . Lets hope when you pass your family don't have the same shock mine did.

Respect.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I have a " lack of knowledge on the subject " . Lets hope when you pass your family don't have the same shock mine did.
    It will be a pleasant surprise to my family rather than a shock when I'm gone, but at my age it does remind me that I should leave them a list of all my accounts and passwords. The golden rule of betting - never bet more than you can afford to lose - was rammed home to me as a 14 year old when my whole week's pocket money ended up with the bookies, that week without sweets taught me a valuable lesson.
    I'm only a small stakes gambler, if I went in with large amounts it would actually matter and spoil the fun. I enjoy treating it as a bit of a game, me v the bookies, and there are not many hobbies that leave you a few quid better off.

It will be a pleasant surprise to my family rather than a shock when I'm gone, but at my age it does remind me that I should leave them a list of all my accounts and passwords. The golden rule of betting - never bet more than you can afford to lose - was rammed home to me as a 14 year old when my whole week's pocket money ended up with the bookies, that week without sweets taught me a valuable lesson.
    I'm only a small stakes gambler, if I went in with large amounts it would actually matter and spoil the fun. I enjoy treating it as a bit of a game, me v the bookies, and there are not many hobbies that leave you a few quid better off.

lol.....

You miss my point completely . My dad was good with the horses, he always did well . When it became a lot easier to sit in his armchair , good luck to you and your family.
    Last edited by navypie; 03-03-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    You miss my point completely . My dad was good with the horses, he always did well . When it became a lot easier to sit in his armchair , good luck to you and your family.
    Sorry to say it, but your dad sounds like a mug punter, and I think you are the one missing the point. Going into the bookies and betting with them over the phone is a sure fire way to lose money. The bookies make a guaranteed profit because they build in a margin to cover their costs and a bit more. For every £100 staked, they pay around £90 back. In the old days of 10% betting tax on top of the bookies margins, it was almost impossible to beat them. That only changed when betting went online, and what they make from the mug punters allows them to make some pretty spectacular offers. The advent of things like 'best odds guaranteed' and 'money back if your selection finishes second to the favourite' means that if you are selective it's really not that difficult to make a few quid.

Sorry to say it, but your dad sounds like a mug punter, and I think you are the one missing the point. Going into the bookies and betting with them over the phone is a sure fire way to lose money. The bookies make a guaranteed profit because they build in a margin to cover their costs and a bit more. For every £100 staked, they pay around £90 back. In the old days of 10% betting tax on top of the bookies margins, it was almost impossible to beat them. That only changed when betting went online, and what they make from the mug punters allows them to make some pretty spectacular offers. The advent of things like 'best odds guaranteed' and 'money back if your selection finishes second to the favourite' means that if you are selective it's really not that difficult to make a few quid.

Bookies never lose, mugs do.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast