+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Phillips

I don’t understand why some fans on here would want to make some of the comments they have. Phillips was Leeds through and through and for me a fantastic player under Bielsa. I didn’t want him to go but accepted he would given the call from Citeh. A mistake, we’ve all made them. Made him wealthy, I suspect so but he must be questioning the decision and perhaps trying to correct it with West Ham. At the time he left he said he would only have leave for Citeh and no other team I think. Naive I guess but he might have meant it I dunno. Irrespective of that he’s always come over as a thoroughly decent kid with time for fans and a talent for playing in front of the back 4. That’s proven, we have all seen that so why generate the bad vibes towards him?
    Some continue to voice their opinion and judge but why? Are their own lives so full of failure that they start on any weakness they see? Phillips has had an awful start at West Ham but I wish him well on every level. His background and schooling didn’t make him a scholar but I’m pretty sure he’s one good human being and a very good footballer who’s one of our own.

Poor to be criticised so harshly in my opinion.

He loved playing for Leeds. His family loved him playing for Leeds. He gave everything on the field in his time here with Leeds. That will do for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Pacaman View Post
    I don’t understand why some fans on here would want to make some of the comments they have. Phillips was Leeds through and through and for me a fantastic player under Bielsa. I didn’t want him to go but accepted he would given the call from Citeh. A mistake, we’ve all made them. Made him wealthy, I suspect so but he must be questioning the decision and perhaps trying to correct it with West Ham. At the time he left he said he would only have leave for Citeh and no other team I think. Naive I guess but he might have meant it I dunno. Irrespective of that he’s always come over as a thoroughly decent kid with time for fans and a talent for playing in front of the back 4. That’s proven, we have all seen that so why generate the bad vibes towards him?
    Some continue to voice their opinion and judge but why? Are their own lives so full of failure that they start on any weakness they see? Phillips has had an awful start at West Ham but I wish him well on every level. His background and schooling didn’t make him a scholar but I’m pretty sure he’s one good human being and a very good footballer who’s one of our own.

Poor to be criticised so harshly in my opinion.
    You're entitled to your view, that's for sure and I don't criticise you for it, despite disagreeing strongly, and here's why.

"Leeds through and through", professing as much less than two weeks before signing for ****ty.

A product of the Leeds Academy, without the benefit of which he might never have come to any prominence anywhere in football, perhaps ending up shifting pizzas, or perhaps helping keep the street of Leeds clear of litter (I have no idea what his academic qualifications are btw). He might be a lovely person, but he most certainly is NOT " one of our own", if he was he would never have signed for a team based in that ****hole of a city, never mind it wasn't Scum.

He signed for money, nothing more, nothing less, despite being a rich man in comparison to the vast majority of his fellow Yorkshiremen, and was prepared to sacrifice a promising club and international career for the proverbial 30 pieces of silver. He (and those who "advised" him) weren't naive, just greedy, and he will pay for that greed by no longer having that club or national footballing career, hope he thinks it was worth it.

He is, and always will be, a hypocritical sh1te, and I sincerely hope he gets the bums rush at Spam sooner rather than later.

And to answer your question as to why "some continue to voice their opinion and judge, but why"? Because for a long time, he WAS one of ours, seen by Leeds supporters as a shining light and a real indication of what the Academy could achieve (a future England star etc.), and then he kicks every Leeds supporter in the balls by signing for that gold-plated sh1thouse at the Etihad, betraying every single Leeds supporter and everything that LUFC can and should stand for. That's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwhites View Post
    He loved playing for Leeds. His family loved him playing for Leeds. He gave everything on the field in his time here with Leeds. That will do for me...
    I guess some are more easily pleased than others.

As an example of a player who was "one of our own" and then signed for arch rivals, the attached is a more commendable departure, given the sacrifices the player made and the fact that he didn't sit for two years warming a bench;

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...never-20144635

Was it a welcome departure? No. Was it far more acceptable, given the circumstances, than the Phillips jumping ship, oh my yes.

Oh, and lest we forget, there was much beating of breasts when the likes of Aaronson, Kristensen, Roca, Koch, Llorente, Sinisterra etc departed by using the clauses our dear departed DoF had helpfully included in their contracts. But how long had any of them been at LUFC? What loyalty did they owe the club that had persuaded them to sign up, and then to see the club relegated when the "American experiment" proved to to be the abject failure it was always going to be?

Had they progressed through the Academy? No. Were they Leeds "through and through"? No. and yet they are variously described as scum, rats, etc, never to be welcomed back at ER, unlike the prodigal son, Mr Phillips who was (supposedly) all of those things, and yet proved himself capable of sh1tting on LUFC from the heights of the Etihad bench.

Not sure how he qualifies for such preferential treatment (and no I wouldn't welcome ANY of the above, including Phillips, back at ER!)

Most players will have money high up the agenda, including the ones we sign or are you going to tell me they are signing for the shirt.
    Worth noting he had been injured a lot previously and when he signed… secured his family future and probably wanted to play at the highest level

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    You're entitled to your view, that's for sure and I don't criticise you for it, despite disagreeing strongly, and here's why.

"Leeds through and through", professing as much less than two weeks before signing for ****ty.

A product of the Leeds Academy, without the benefit of which he might never have come to any prominence anywhere in football, perhaps ending up shifting pizzas, or perhaps helping keep the street of Leeds clear of litter (I have no idea what his academic qualifications are btw). He might be a lovely person, but he most certainly is NOT " one of our own", if he was he would never have signed for a team based in that ****hole of a city, never mind it wasn't Scum.

He signed for money, nothing more, nothing less, despite being a rich man in comparison to the vast majority of his fellow Yorkshiremen, and was prepared to sacrifice a promising club and international career for the proverbial 30 pieces of silver. He (and those who "advised" him) weren't naive, just greedy, and he will pay for that greed by no longer having that club or national footballing career, hope he thinks it was worth it.

He is, and always will be, a hypocritical sh1te, and I sincerely hope he gets the bums rush at Spam sooner rather than later.

And to answer your question as to why "some continue to voice their opinion and judge, but why"? Because for a long time, he WAS one of ours, seen by Leeds supporters as a shining light and a real indication of what the Academy could achieve (a future England star etc.), and then he kicks every Leeds supporter in the balls by signing for that gold-plated sh1thouse at the Etihad, betraying every single Leeds supporter and everything that LUFC can and should stand for. That's why.
    That’s a rant! Based on jealousy and emotion. Phillips was paid well but it wasn’t a one way street. He gave his all for Leeds and was sad to leave. Anyone in any career worth their salt seeks promotion so Phillips going to city was just that.

You spoil yourself time and time again WTF.

Phillips doesn’t deserve your vitriol in my opinion. We differ in opinion and outlook, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacaman View Post
    That’s a rant! Based on jealousy and emotion. Phillips was paid well but it wasn’t a one way street. He gave his all for Leeds and was sad to leave. Anyone in any career worth their salt seeks promotion so Phillips going to city was just that.

You spoil yourself time and time again WTF.

Phillips doesn’t deserve your vitriol in my opinion. We differ in opinion and outlook, so be it.
    Emotion? Yes. Jealousy? A VERY definite NO. I do t have his undoubted footballing skills so how can I be jealous?

For as long as he played for Leeds he may have given his all, but as a relatively yiung man he had the potential, if true to his protestations of loyalty, to become a true legend of LUFC. Instead he leaves, for mere money and a predictable future warming an Etihad bench. How in earth can you characterise the move to City as "promotion" when it has resulted in next to no 1st team club football and about tgwe same level of involvement at international level?

I doubt if the player cares what anyone says abwiut him, certainly not from posts here, favourable or otherwise.

Think he was great for us and gave us his all. Very good player but with flaws (lack of pace particularly)- played in the right system he is great.

Was also England’s player of the tournament when we went close in the Euros.

Will be hard for him at West Ham as won’t be fully match fit and being dropped into a team that is struggling.

Not sure if this is true or bull but apparently West Ham offered 60 million but he told the board he was only interested in going to citeh which if true cost us a few quid on the transfer fee.

I thank him for his efforts but he's now the past , should receive a good welcome at ER if our paths should ever cross again.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)