+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This club , our club

Quote Originally Posted by Dobmeister View Post
    In all honesty I think many who may be perceived as negative actually care deeply about the club and give full support on match day. Letting of steam on a message board isn`t the same thing as not supporting our club. FWIW I agree the Board have done a fine job by and large in sorting out finances and keeping us as a full time competitive Championship side. That doesn`t mean the club gets everything right though.
    I agree that the club doesn't get everything correct. Many would be glad to see the back of Hewittson but there is a saying of be careful what you wish for and for me that's very relevant here.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    I agree that the club doesn't get everything correct. Many would be glad to see the back of Hewittson but there is a saying of be careful what you wish for and for me that's very relevant here.
    I don't think the fans groups are infighting at all, biggest problem we have as a club is apathy at moment, there's little to excite or get behind. I personally think the board should come out and explain why the club is struggling (not just blaming attendances) and what the plan is, even if that plan is to run with youth etc, put the playing budget aside for essential repairs etc, it would be something we can understand and support. At moment we have fans confused why a club that's supposed to be amazingly ran and making profits seems to have no money for players!

Quote Originally Posted by QOS_MAD_ADMIN View Post
    Thats the spirit JR - it's a pity we didn't have more supporters like you old pal. The usual suspects get on my tits at times - Having spent over half a century supporting my beloved Queens I have seen it all before. When we make a bad start to the season the long knives are out immediately and really we shud be geting behind the Board and manager. Football in general is struggling in Scotland but our Chairman and Directors are hanging in there to put a competitive team on the park. We are at best a middle of the league Championship side and I am confident we will consolidate this position this season. Our financial situation dictates what our playing budget is and in most cases we are way behind Dundee United,St Mirren,Falkirk etc. This is something we have to live with but thanks to revenue from the Queens Arena we are staying in touch with our rivals. There are moves afoot to increase our off field income, details of which will be announced soon.

I am optimistic of a successful season - let's keep the debate going and prove the usual suspects wrong.

COME AWAY THE QUEENS

ok mr admin ,what exactly is your ambition for queens ,you seem to be at the limits of your ambition for our club happy with being a consolidation team mid championship always struggling to stay in this league ,there ,right there is queens biggest issue ,everyone wonders why the fans are whittling away bit by bit ,that mr admin is exactly why there whittling away ,by stagnating in the championship will not attract new fans ,if this is where you see queens operate at there peak god help queens as right at this moment under those circumstances ,fans will drift away ,older generation slowly die off reducing the hardcore ,iv supported queens thru thick and thin since around 1980 ,thru the baron 80s i hardly mist a game home or away ,with id say between 84 and 90 ,having some of the best players iv ever seen in a queens shirt ,looking around the terraces today all the lads i used to go and know at the palmy i could prob count in my hands ,iv spoke with a few asking why thay dont go anymore and most say queens are never going to get any better there happy to sit about the lower leagues having a hurra every now and again in the championship ,i really dont know how to address that but staying stagnent with this as an ambition queens wont exist for long in the championship .i think we prob need some fresh blood on the board with cash and ambition ,only way fowrward to get the floating fan back interested in queens .

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    ok mr admin ,what exactly is your ambition for queens ,you seem to be at the limits of your ambition for our club happy with being a consolidation team mid championship always struggling to stay in this league ,there ,right there is queens biggest issue ,everyone wonders why the fans are whittling away bit by bit ,that mr admin is exactly why there whittling away ,by stagnating in the championship will not attract new fans ,if this is where you see queens operate at there peak god help queens as right at this moment under those circumstances ,fans will drift away ,older generation slowly die off reducing the hardcore ,iv supported queens thru thick and thin since around 1980 ,thru the baron 80s i hardly mist a game home or away ,with id say between 84 and 90 ,having some of the best players iv ever seen in a queens shirt ,looking around the terraces today all the lads i used to go and know at the palmy i could prob count in my hands ,iv spoke with a few asking why thay dont go anymore and most say queens are never going to get any better there happy to sit about the lower leagues having a hurra every now and again in the championship ,i really dont know how to address that but staying stagnent with this as an ambition queens wont exist for long in the championship .i think we prob need some fresh blood on the board with cash and ambition ,only way forward to get the floating fan back interested in queens .
    My ambition for Queens,like everyone with any sense, is to gain promotion to the Premier League and compete with the big boys. I am also realistic and under the stutus quo we don't have the finances to do it despite galiant efforts by the present Chairman and Board to keep our head above water. Ross County and Hamilton gained promotion to the Premier League as they had extremely rich backers and by the way their crowds were similar to ours. Correct me if I am wrong but a considerable amount of public money was invested in Ross County and Inverness Caledonian to establish a football academy in the Highlands. Perhaps this is an avenue Queens could explore.

I agree the way ahead is to attract fresh blood on to the board with cash to burn. We can also try and attract further investment in the club but where is this coming from ? There is supposed to be an announcement soon on some sort of development at Palmy but don't hold your breath. The crowd situation and fan atmospehere is all very disappointing but this will change once we get a competitive team on the pitch.

I also think accusing the board for lacking ambition is rather naive and the usual suspects who have their own agenda
    can never resist getting the boot in when thinks get a bit scary.
    Last edited by QOS_MAD_ADMIN; 08-08-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Excellent post and very much a realistic approach Admin. Let's face it modern football is unfortunately entirely based upon finances which in turn are dependent upon home attendances at our level, no noteworthy TV money for us. Like many others the resources we have are plummeting along with the crowds. Just a couple of seasons ago we had average crowd figures well in excess of 2000, with the likes of Rangers, Hibs and Hearts boosting figures. Now we will be lucky to average 1400, this equates to a loss of well over £100,000 per annum which in turn would pay for around three full time players. This is the reality of our position and we should all be thankful for the Board with their investment in the arena which offsets some of the loss from these dwindling crowds. We could go down the road of Gretna and get an egomaniacal apparently rich owner/chairman to take over and have a couple of heady seasons before the club collapses into oblivion- no thank you. Let's just face reality and hope for success on and off the pitch which may result in increased crowds hence funds allowing sensible improvements in the playing squad without over stretching things. Mon the South.
    P.S. does anyone know any sensible rational millionaires along the lines of Anne Budge willing to spend dough on our great little club.😉

I have heard there are concrete plans in place to help Queens into the future . We can only wait now for the announcement

Queens should be building towards their Centenary Season which is just around the corner.

One of the major issues i have is the contract situation if u look back 3/4 season after we got promoted holt,reilly,durns,mcshane,kidd and even danny to an extent these were all good quality youngsters for this level and although none have really lived up to the hype we had (bar holty) we were fantastic as a team back then and if we had have had these boys on 3/4 year deals wen they were all young we would have had a team capable of promotion especially if we had kept steggs and burns in midfield and added dobbie to them that team as a team apirit would have been stable in the spl then wen we started weeding out the older guys we would have had the strong foundations instead we put them on silly 1 year deals getting silly little development fess for them resulting in us only being able to get mediocrity in from lower championship teams look at connor murray he is a boy who looks like he has the potential to be a decent player but we will keep giving him silly 1 year deals till he moves on to another rival club

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    I have heard there are concrete plans in place to help Queens into the future . We can only wait now for the announcement
    The '' announcement '' of plans promised at the end of May is still on - we will just have to be patient and hope this time they
    reach fruition after others have foundered over the last (at least) 12 years.

I guess we will have to wait until the next AGM to find out all of the details and the state of play with finances etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)