+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: England Russia WC 2018

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    I think it's a natural reaction to disappointment, Champs. I would have expected to lose to France in the final, but it would have been nice to find out. I'm generally unflappable by nature, but I still felt the frustration of coming so close.

Despair will be making a special effort to get to the final, of course, because he's a big supporter of France...
    I can almost picture him now, with his hooped shirt, a baguette, a beret, a string of onions round his neck, and a mademoiselle on either arm. Despair on right, I believe.
    Attachment 10261
    I have a few friends out in France.. They are going wild.. Delighted for them.. Hope they win it now.

I have none - zilch Sax . Can’t stand them.
    An I’m a very, very amenable fellow to most !
    I truly hope they get battered. But I’ll not be watching - in case they win . (Trust me !)

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    Aucks..?
    Yeah soz about that Saxo, Ive only just noticed my mistake, and it was because Im so used to Aucks more than anybody else on here replying to my posts. (well thats my excuse anyway, and Im jolly well sticking to it too!! ).

But alas, Engerland's World Cup adventure is now over but its been a good one hasnt it, and as a neutral as well I think this has been a cracking tournament. Well done to Russia, I had high doubts about it right from the start but apparently they have been ace and friendly etc with all visiting fans.

Well, there's no substitute for that little bit of extra class shown by De Bruyne and Hazard, especially in counter-attacks.
    I was reasonably happy with how England played, but it's always more difficult to create chances against a team which sits back. Having said that, the opportunities WERE there, but a) Kane looked leg-weary; b) more of the headers should have been directed across the keeper, rather than towards the near post; c) lots of the shots were mis-hit and underpowered.
    I think this team can only get better. We really need a dynamic, attacking central midfielder. Henderson does his job very well, but that's mainly in a deeper role. Lingard and Alli don't look capable of running a game - not yet, anyway.
    It's struck me several times that Sterling might be better used as a final-30 substitute, when the defenders are getting tired.
    Trippier again England's best player.

Well, there's no substitute for that little bit of extra class shown by De Bruyne and Hazard, especially in counter-attacks.
    I was reasonably happy with how England played, but it's always more difficult to create chances against a team which sits back. Having said that, the opportunities WERE there, but a) Kane looked leg-weary; b) more of the headers should have been directed across the keeper, rather than towards the near post; c) lots of the shots were mis-hit and underpowered.
    I think this team can only get better. We really need a dynamic, attacking central midfielder. Henderson does his job very well, but that's mainly in a deeper role. Lingard and Alli don't look capable of running a game - not yet, anyway.
    It's struck me several times that Sterling might be better used as a final-30 substitute, when the defenders are getting tired.
    Trippier again England's best player.
    I on the other hand thought the gulf in class was massive. I think the players and fans could have done without that. A real wake up call that we are a long way off competing with the best.

Still a lot better than I expected a month ago, Saxo!
    All the same, we really do lack a world-class midfielder.

Still a lot better than I expected a month ago, Saxo!
    All the same, we really do lack a world-class midfielder.

Harry Kane is nowhere near good enough for international football. The slowest striker I've seen play who could rival Kane, is Jordan Rhodes. Kane simply is by good enough. To make him captain and stick with him was nieve. I think it was one of months few mistakes Southgate made. Walker was poor too.

The WC was poor quality. We played 2 teams who had any kind of quality. And lost to them. It was a fluke, has we gotten in the tough side of the draw, they probably wouldn't have made it past Japan.

But they come back as heroes and will all be told they are amazing. So won't have to work hard at improving. Spurs players will go back to not winning anything and nothing really has changed. It was a one off fluke that probably won't be repeated for another 30 years. We really missed a huge chance.

You're a harsh judge, Champs.
    For large parts of the final, Croatia outplayed France, and WE dominated THEM for an hour. I agree, though, that Kane seemed to run out of energy and inspiration after the group-stage. In the end, we just didn't convert enough chances.
    What strikes me, though, is that counter-attacking has generally proved more successful than possession football in this tournament. Spain against Russia was the classic example, but the final was another, as well as England's games against Croatia and Belgium.
    Having watched the England Under-17 and Under-20 teams in the last year, it was noticeable that both used very fast counter-attacks successfully.
    Even in this competition we looked more dangerous when Rose was on the field, although he got caught out, defensively, a couple of times.
    I don't know if this factor will be taken account of in the next year or so, as it may just be coincidence, after all, but it must have given managers food for thought.

You're a harsh judge, Champs.
    For large parts of the final, Croatia outplayed France, and WE dominated THEM for an hour. I agree, though, that Kane seemed to run out of energy and inspiration after the group-stage. In the end, we just didn't convert enough chances.
    What strikes me, though, is that counter-attacking has generally proved more successful than possession football in this tournament. Spain against Russia was the classic example, but the final was another, as well as England's games against Croatia and Belgium.
    Having watched the England Under-17 and Under-20 teams in the last year, it was noticeable that both used very fast counter-attacks successfully.
    Even in this competition we looked more dangerous when Rose was on the field, although he got caught out, defensively, a couple of times.
    I don't know if this factor will be taken account of in the next year or so, as it may just be coincidence, after all, but it must have given managers food for thought.

France always looked like they had 2 or 3 gears they could go up whenever Croatia got close to them.

I just think now the dust has settled a bit, you can look back at it. We lost 3 and won 3. Playing some really poor teams. And losing to anyone good.
    Germany, Brazil, Italy, Argentina, Spain .....all the sides who did nothing, or didn't qualify will all come again. They wont sit still. My concern is we fill the players heads too full of rubbish.

Lingard had a poor WC
    Sterling had a poor WC
    Alli had a poor WC
    Kane (overall) had a poor WC despite getting the golden boot. It was because we played Panama.
    Young was pretty average etc etc

I'd say only Maguire, Pickford and Trippier could walk away having done better than expected.

If we tell them ALL ....which is exactly what we will do ....that they are heroes and we are proud of them no matter what, they simply wont improve.

We are just an international Spurs. We wont ever win anything, we have a soft under-belly.

Correct, for a period we had Croatia, we had our foot on their neck. Instead of seeing it out, we didn't make changes. We invited them on, we tired. Mentally and physically. And we had no answer to the toughest questions.
    Belgium embarrassed us twice, so I stop short of jumping for joy.
    It was good, it was also probably our one and only chance of getting in a final blown. Cant see it happening again.
    Southgate restored some pride, but we are no closer to winning a WC now than we where 30 years ago.

And not many of these up and coming England players will play much next season, none of those under 17's or 19's will kick a ball in the Prem. So I don't see us progressing. English football is flawed due to the league format. And obscene money.
    It was nice to get an escape for 2 weeks this summer, but everyone got way too carried away, including me.

I just hope Rovers get the same level of blind support from the same people getting excited about a bunch of Spurs players.

Yep !

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)