+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Rhead

Matt Rhead

Has left Billericay Town.

Worth a look?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49120948

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post

Worth a look?

I suggested him a couple of times earlier this year but now I'd say only if our target man gets recalled.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I suggested him a couple of times earlier this year but now I'd say only if our target man gets recalled.

It seems Matt Tootle is out of favour and may well remain so. Given a choice of the 2, I know who I think would add to the squad. Sad but true, as Matt has been a decent player for us.

It seems Matt Tootle is out of favour and may well remain so. Given a choice of the 2, I know who I think would add to the squad. Sad but true, as Matt has been a decent player for us.
    Yeah Tootle looks to be a gonner but with only 5 subs allowed and 3 good (plus one serviceable) strikers I don't know what we'd do with Rhead now to be honest.

Worth a look?

We know what he looks like but with our squad getting younger (can you get younger?), and looking more athletic than in recent years, I would say striker-wise we have a pleasant sufficiency and his signing is unnecessary.

I'm a bit of a Toots fanboy but even so it does seem a bit odd that a player that was said to be good enough for league 1 can't get in the side now.

Think there's plenty of folk wondering why that is. He seems well liked by fans and teammates too so you have to wonder why.

He did say something about knowing that being open about his mental health issues would harm his career. Wondered at the time if he fells like that's an issue for Ardley.

He looks in good shape too. Looks like he's been hitting the gym.

He was the first player i can think of that said he was staying at the end of last season. Think that makes it especially strange. Normally people really appreciate that kind of loyalty in football cause it's not too common.

Still, who knows whats going on behind the scenes. And it would take a brave man to criticise Ardley now!

I've the usual twenty star jumps bet on in work so quite relieved that Ardley has turned it around.

Rhead is the sort of player we would have benefited from last season, I'm not sure he fits the remit for us now. It is clear we are building a pattern and style of play that requires a degree of athletism and speed, not a kick the **** out of the opposition approach.

As for Tootle, assuming Ardley might have an issue with his mental health is highly unlikely, maybe he just doesn't fit the bill for the type of player NA wanted in that position. I would suggest a lack of consistency is what has done for him.

Rhead is training with Mansfield apparently. Personally speaking I think we should snap him up if we have the chance, certainly until the end of the season.

We all know how we’ve been stung before with loan players getting recalled, and even if Wotton stays, I think Rhead would be great back up and give him the competition that Thomas and Dennis have. Takes a mean penalty as well.

Kelly-Evans looked like a decent signing for the future but came into the team, barely put a foot wrong and has more room to improve than Tootle with him only being 22, he can also play on the left or right of defence so is a better option to have on the bench when you're only allowed 5 subs as he can cover more than one position.

Then Brindley has looked an even better signing since coming in, unless he gets injured there's no chance Tootle is getting back into contention imo, Tootle may have looked good for us a couple of years ago at a higher level but at the moment Brindley looks a better right back regardless of the current level we're at (he's also played at a higher level) and is again a couple of years younger than Tootle.

As for Rhead... It's a hard no from me, we should be looking in to making Wootton's move a permament one if we're making any kinds of moves for a striker in my opinion. We have three options that all look more than capable imo in Wootton, Dennis and Thomas and then Nathan Tyson as a 4th choice, Rhead would just be competing with him to get onto the bench

Tootle was a decent player in his first season with us but looked hopelessly unfit at the start of last season (he wasn’t alone.)
    It seemed every goal we conceded in the early part of the season was from crosses with our full backs seemingly unable to get anywhere near the opposition.
    Ardley also likes his wide men to cut inside and allow the full backs to bomb on. Maybe Tootle no longer has the legs for that?
    I don’t think there’s any other agenda for why he doesn’t play.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast