+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ot - The Rugby League season

ot - The Rugby League season

Hey Animal and Chop, seeing as you brought up the subject of Wakey Trin, I thought Id start something new here.

For me its hard to get excited about the game of RL at the moment, as there are still continued postponements due to Covid. And as a result of this the league table has a very weird and uneven look about it where they are going on points averages I think.

They even postponed this years RL World Cup which was set to be played in this country. At the time both Australia and New Zealand had already been persuaded to pull out of it, and that meant we were surely the favourites to win it lol.
    But admittedly if your going to have a World Cup in any sport, you do want all the best teams to be there of course.

Where to start .

In my opinion the game isn't what it once was and there's more than a hint of it's soul getting sold to Sky Sports .

That said the players are fitter and far more athletes than they ever were back in the day .

That's the trade off .

I don't particularly like the fact that Super League status isn't won on the field .

It's a travesty that Fev haven't ever played in the Super League despite winning the championship more than once .

There's something about Trinity I like and appeals to my rebel side .

The Super League actually hates us because we play in a ramshackle of a stadium and doesn't fit in to their current philosophy .

It isn't actually the club's fault that every move to relocate to a new stadium gets continually turned down by local authorities .

You can't relegate a club who continually defies the odds several times and refuses to go down on the field .

If the Titanic had been named Trinity , it wouldn't have sunk .

I'm afraid the Super League will have to put up with us a tad longer .

We play at Belle Vue and will continue to do so and we have just about enough to stay in the league on the field .

Fuq em .

Up the Trinity .

It is a shame that Feath and Bradford and even Widnes aren't in the top flight anymore, they were always permanent fixtures for us in the old Slalom Lager and then the Stones Bitter Championship. Whatever happened to MadredNige ehh, he was the Feath-Tyke poster on here some years ago.

I don't miss the likes of London one little bit as they were gifted promotion in order to try and promote the game down there, and I think Keighley were denied despite finishing above them. And the majority of fans south of the Watford gap don't give a toss about the game do they lol.
    And why are we inviting French/Canadian teams like Catalans and Toronto into an English league ehh, Ive never understood or agreed with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    It is a shame that Feath and Bradford and even Widnes aren't in the top flight anymore, they were always permanent fixtures for us in the old Slalom Lager and then the Stones Bitter Championship. Whatever happened to MadredNige ehh, he was the Feath-Tyke poster on here some years ago.

I don't miss the likes of London one little bit as they were gifted promotion in order to try and promote the game down there, and I think Keighley were denied despite finishing above them. And the majority of fans south of the Watford gap don't give a toss about the game do they lol.
    And why are we inviting French/Canadian teams like Catalans and Toronto into an English league ehh, Ive never understood or agreed with that.
    You make the point for me acido very well .

Trinity are the oinks at the Buckingham Palace garden party and long may it continue .

This is a club by the way who have won 8 Challenge Cups with a rich history , one of the great Rugby League institutions .

We simply refuse to be relegated on the field .

Suck it up Sky and the RFL .

I think they look down their noses at the majority of clubs Animal, apart from the chosen few of course like Wigan & St Helens & Leeds.

Remember not so long ago when the Super league bandwagon was starting to take shape, and Im sure even that the former Wigan chairman Maurice Lindsay was part of it. They tried to get the majority of teams to merge with their local rivals, suggesting that they needed to do this in order to survive financially, and that it would be part of a new exciting future for RL.
    Ohh and they also didn't care what the fans thought at the time, saying don't worry, you will get used to it eventually etc.

But thankfully these following mergers didn't happen, because they scrapped the idea due to a massive threat from fans about boycotting the game if that happened. So it looks like just for once, fan power won in the end.

Wakefield & Castleford & Featherstone
    Hull & Hull Kingston
    Bradford & Halifax
    Warrington & Widnes
    Last edited by Acido; 15-08-2021 at 09:13 PM.

Some good comments above chaps.

For me super league has suffered again this season, unlucky because of the Covid situation still being bad at the beginning of the season and the vaccine roll out still in its first jab stages. So crowds at first not allowed then a limited amount and by the time all opened up many fans like myself lost the urge to go to Belle Vue to watch a struggling team effectively season already being over, play off wise.

Saying that next season is a huge one for Rugby League in general IMO and very much the same for my club Wakefield Trinity.

A change in head coach sadly was needed but also the suits need to step up, it's not all just about money. Take a look at the club website and how poor it is.

A good playing surface is all that is left, the rest of the ground is a joke far worse than our two neighbours and to get into the ground you have to step on mass areas of rubble and so need safety workwear trousers and metal toe cap boots on as more risk of getting injured than the players.

Sad indeed.

Hey Chop, are you saying Belle view is even worse than Cas's Wheldon road & Feath's Post office road!!. They will be wanting to come and ground share with my own local Normy RL team next.
    I remember back in about 1990, Wakey played a RL game at Oakwell as the away side against Sheffield I think it was. And this idea has been suggested a few times since then, which I hate the idea of. No offense to Wakey or any RL club, but we simply can't be risking the state of the Oakwell pitch like that.
    Last edited by Acido; 16-08-2021 at 09:20 PM.

Belle Vue was a ramshackle of a ground when I first went through those turnstiles in 1982 .

That said the club have heart n soul and have pulled off some minor miracles to stay in Super League over the years .

Who can forget the winner takes all night and the million pound game against Cas in 2006 .

We sent em down and we've never let them forget it .

Incredible night that was , we were dead and buried with four games to go and beat the Bulls away and Cas at home to stay up .

The atmosphere that night at Belle Vue was off the scale .

One of the great night's sending your nearest and dearest down .

Even when we were relegated we survived because of the change in format post season in 2016 .

Suck it up the Bradford Bulls .

https://youtu.be/CrsMsFkxrIQ

Ahh the old Bradford Northern ehh, who played at the appalling looking old Odsal stadium which was also used for speedway.
    And as for sending Cas down, yes I'd definitely give a thumbs up to that, I bet it was fecking hilarious.

Remember the song that fans used to love singing to us/Hull, the 'you'll never win at Wembley' song lol. Well we finally did for the first time in 2016, and funnily enough it was in the same year that my footy club also did the same thing, a first ever win at Wembley.
    Weird coincidence or what ehh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast