+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wembley and Play off finals

Wembley and Play off finals

I have just been reading about the want or not wanting a Wembley play off final for us. I couldn't agree more.

This Wembley doesn't hold the same feeling as the old one. Yes it's a lot better and up to all of the standards needed for an modern day stadium but is it right for the play offs? Especially the league one and two where the games are played with when the stadium is less than half full.

The EFL and FA milk the supporters for these games and they should be played outside of the capital and in stadiums that best suit the clubs involved.
    The semi finals of the FA cup used to hold more appeal that what they do because the matches are played at Wembley thus the actually getting to Wembley isn't special any more.

Even the FA are considering using stadiums arround the country to host England games.

There are enough stadiums in the country with the expertise and set ups around them to accomidate the supporters just as good as Wembley can.

I suppose because we,ve been three times in eight seasons or so it's easier for RUFC fans to become less interested.
    I would imagine those fans of clubs who haven't been or it's been a long time would still be willing to travel and pay exorbitant prices just for the experience.

Yes there are. I would include from N to S,
    Newcastle
    Man Utd
    Man City
    Liverpool
    Aston Villa
    Tottenham
    Arsenal
    Chelsea

Obviously it would depend on the anticipated gate and the location of the clubs involved. The big difficulty would be the segregation and it may have to be 2 full sides rather than one half each.

Quote Originally Posted by pip_y View Post
    Yes there are. I would include from N to S,
    Newcastle
    Man Utd
    Man City
    Liverpool
    Aston Villa
    Tottenham
    Arsenal
    Chelsea

Obviously it would depend on the anticipated gate and the location of the clubs involved. The big difficulty would be the segregation and it may have to be 2 full sides rather than one half each.
    I’m not a Wembley fan as such but those last three grounds, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea are a similar distance and driving to them is a nightmare and pot luck for parking. There’s the new ground thing with Spurs but effectively we’re putting more cash into the Premiership via ground hire fees.

Transport links to Man Utd aren’t great nor is City, both have traffic jam problems.

The bottom dollar is the New Wembley should have been built just outside Coventry.

Hey Frogger, Im all for the England Intls being shared around the country at club stadiums. That is a good idea.
    But tbh I always want to see the big finals at Wembley and nowhere else!, and this of course also includes all the Play off finals.

I still think we should have played Shrewsbury at the Derby stadium. Would have saved a lot of hassle for both clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Hey Frogger, Im all for the England Intls being shared around the country at club stadiums. That is a good idea.
    But tbh I always want to see the big finals at Wembley and nowhere else!, and this of course also includes all the Play off finals.
    The third and fourth division play offs aren't big finals are they? Like Jocks said the game between us and Shrewsbury could have been rocking at Derby oalthough I would have prefered Man Citys ground.

The last game where your lot were chased around Wembley by the nuckledraggers was still a third empty and they are a London club.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    The third and fourth division play offs aren't big finals are they? Like Jocks said the game between us and Shrewsbury could have been rocking at Derby oalthough I would have prefered Man Citys ground.
    The last game where your lot were chased around Wembley by the nuckledraggers was still a third empty and they are a London club.
    Ahh you mean the Millwall mob dont you ?, yes that does bring back memories of when we twa*tted them for the third time that season btw, and they just didnt like it and they reacted very badly on the day.
    Can we pre-arrange stadiums then for the lower league finals, and make sure that no team gets a local advantage etc. And if we do that, doesnt it mean arranging the venues right at the last minute when the Semi finals have been sorted out!.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Ahh you mean the Millwall mob dont you ?, yes that does bring back memories of when we twa*tted them for the third time that season btw, and they just didnt like it and they reacted very badly on the day.
    Can we pre-arrange stadiums then for the lower league finals, and make sure that no team gets a local advantage etc. And if we do that, doesnt it mean arranging the venues right at the last minute when the Semi finals have been sorted out!.
    It used to be done for the semi finals so I don't see why not. Other London clubs could be used other than Wembley as well now if London teams are involved. Isn't it better to have a full stadium than a half empty stadium.

I think that the play off finals should be staged in London. I live there so it's convenient for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast