+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Forrester

Quote Originally Posted by redstarfk View Post
    What happened 20-30 years ago is irrelevant , given the vastly changed circumstances now.

Bosman
    UEFA carving up the European competitions for the benefit of the elite
    Sky and other TV companies ploughing millions in to England , and next to sweet FA to Scotland
    Bosman rule came in 24 years ago. Its the biggest factor as we have signed 4 of 5 of the terminarions in McInnes tenure on a bosman. Again pointing toward lack of homework on these players and just signing as they are available. Lack of scouting needed which again seems to be the case with Forrester. Alot of money to nae do your homework on. Somethings nae right

We have had 8 managers in the time since Bosman rule came in. Who has terminated the most out of interest

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Times have changed post-Bosman, so the contract issue didn't really apply then, but even our best managers screwed up.

Eddie Turnbull with Tommy Rae, Brian McIlroy, Dave Millar, Alec Smith, Billy Paul.

Billy McNeill with Steve Ritchie and Doug Considine

Fergie with Andy Harrow and Steve Cowan.

Both Turnbull and Ferguson were blessed by having a quotient of capable skilled winners being promoted from the reserves.

I still don't know the Forrester situation, but if he has scarring family problems affecting his play, he's better off away and I wish him well.

I still can't comment on his ability on the few fleeting appearances he made. Gordon Strachan was ineffective until 79-80, and I recall Martin Buchan getting a hard time when he broke into the Dons team for a start.
    Times have changed. We now expect a player we sign on a transfer fee to be good straight away. He was obviously pish at training as well.

Billie Dodds plus £700,000 for Robbie Winters still really grates with me. An Alex Miller fcuk up

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zone View Post
    Billie Dodds plus £700,000 for Robbie Winters still really grates with me. An Alex Miller fcuk up
    Yup cant remember a transfer that was more unpopular.

Alex Miller was truly a most depressing manager.

Forrester's contribution to the club is on a par with that of Etienne Verveer.

Quote Originally Posted by WatsonNimrod View Post
    Perhaps a shade harsh on Steve Cowan, he was just simply not as good as had come before him. Some of my earliest todders memories are my dad and his pals giving him dogs abuse but in my naïve little world I actually thought he was OK. He certainly contributed for a good few seasons.

Was it Fergie who signed Davie Dodds? I'm sure it was towards the end of his reign. We paid a good few 100k for him as well at that time which in todays money must be approaching a few million.

Mind boggling.
    Big Davie wasn't that bad. Steve Cowan on the other hand ...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zone View Post
    At the time Winters was the up and coming man. Fast as f uck and scoring plenty for Utd.
    The issue was the size of the fee ie the undervaluation of Dodds and the fact he went to the Huns from Utd for around a million quid the season after. I wouldn't have minded 700 k just for Winters but not any more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    This often pops up but the correct answer is Brian O’Neil.
    Nigel Pepper by a country mile. Followed by the 2 Bulgarian wage cheats

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore trout View Post
    At the time Winters was the up and coming man. Fast as f uck and scoring plenty for Utd.
    The issue was the size of the fee ie the undervaluation of Dodds and the fact he went to the Huns from Utd for around a million quid the season after. I wouldn't have minded 700 k just for Winters but not any more than that.
    In his last two seasons for Utd prior to joining us he scored 16 league goals in 66 appearances hardly prolific. As for him being fast usain bolt is available should we get him in

Quote Originally Posted by Basingstokered View Post
    In his last two seasons for Utd prior to joining us he scored 16 league goals in 66 appearances hardly prolific. As for him being fast usain bolt is available should we get him in
    Aye Wikipedia is a wonderful thing. I prefer to use my memory. Winters was up and coming and attracting a lot of interest. I didn't say once in my post that I was happy with Dodds going in the opposite direction.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast