+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What is a real fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    I know I just want to make my dad happy he never spends anything on himself so I worry about him
    Good for you. Hope he has a great day. Was in a similar situation a few years back with my Dad for our game against D&R but couldn't make it happen and never got the chance again in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Good for you. Hope he has a great day. Was in a similar situation a few years back with my Dad for our game against D&R but couldn't make it happen and never got the chance again in the end.
    Oh heck sorry to hear that CAM

You get two types of fans.

The first are those that understand sport. They realise that 3 results are* possible - that we can either win lose or draw. They support their team through thick and thin. They realise that some days teams play badly and lose. They enjoy the good moments.

The second are a modern generation sports audience. They pay to be entertained. They*expect only one result and that is a win. If they dont get it they moan and demand their money back. They play the blame game that the ref, linesman, football league and fa are all against them. They blame opposition for cheating. They blame the manager for not picking the right team (and usially said as much before the game in case you ask). They blame players for not trying and only ask that they put effort in. They blame the chairman for not spending enough.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    You make a very good point, CT. Fans actually present at the game are becoming an irrelevance. Indeed I have held early stage talks with a major Chinese company and some interested clubs about replacing fans with automata programmed to sing and cheer constantly, never booing, swearing or invading the pitch. The fans thus replaced will be offered video links to watch the games at home. Everyone wins. You heard it here first.
    Premier league clubs only need fans to give the product authenticity when selling the tv right overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post

The first are those that understand sport. They realise that 3 results are* possible - that we can either win lose or draw. They support their team through thick and thin. They realise that some days teams play badly and lose. They enjoy the good moments.

The second are a modern generation sports audience. They pay to be entertained. They*expect only one result and that is a win. If they dont get it they moan and demand their money back. They play the blame game that the ref, linesman, football league and fa are all against them. They blame opposition for cheating. They blame the manager for not picking the right team (and usially said as much before the game in case you ask). They blame players for not trying and only ask that they put effort in. They blame the chairman for not spending enough.
    A fair appraisal and similar to my own (which btw went down like the proverbial lead balloon so watch your back) but I'm not sure about the "modern" bit - I encountered many moaning fans way back in the sixties.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post

Sorry, Wan, had to pop out before fully responding. You are clearly an intelligent poster but here you are conflating disparate phenomena, ie, an "understanding" of sport with supporting a team through thick and thin. But any psychologist would tell you that diehard support of a football club has nothing to do with rationality, nor is it in any way "virtuous" or reflective of a moral superiority. It comes down to "identity fusion" and you either have it or you don't; lots of terrorists and criminal gang members have it in spades. And of course there is the element of cui bono. Pundits, players, managers, ex-players, reporters, commentators - allpeople who take a living from the game - have a very real interest in promoting the idea that the "real" fan continues to display loyalty at all times.

I think it's fair to say all twelve of us here on MM are true Rotherham fans. Nobody starts supporting Rotherham for the glory, or the success associated with the club for obvious reasons. We certainly gained a lot of supporters in 2012. Whether they were new fans or fans who previously stayed away, I don't know. But the jump from 3000 to to 8000 and sometimes 11000 was remarkable. When I was growing up, 6000 was a big crowd for us and only usually happened when the away team brought a big following. 6000 now, would probably be considered a poor turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    Sorry, Wan, had to pop out before fully responding. You are clearly an intelligent poster but here you are conflating disparate phenomena, ie, an "understanding" of sport with supporting a team through thick and thin. But any psychologist would tell you that diehard support of a football club has nothing to do with rationality, nor is it in any way "virtuous" or reflective of a moral superiority. It comes down to "identity fusion" and you either have it or you don't; lots of terrorists and criminal gang members have it in spades. And of course there is the element of cui bono. Pundits, players, managers, ex-players, reporters, commentators - allpeople who take a living from the game - have a very real interest in promoting the idea that the "real" fan continues to display loyalty at all times.
    I'm attempting to say there is a section of football followers who have passionate support and can hold rational thought but realise the 2 rarely coexist.

Its the audience fan that are sold / buy into concept you should show total one eyed loyalty at all times or its a sign of tribal weakness.

Interesting I listened to the Monday rugby show on 5 live. Ugo Monya said hed been to Anfield for the Barca game. He was totally overwhelmed by the emotive passion of the support. He said there was nothing close to it in rugby. If Twickenham had half the passion England would never lose. I get your point it is off the scale for calm thinking.

Wan, this is such an interesting topic and has wider implications. I'll give it some more thought but unfortunately I now have to head off for an hour. Cheers.

Hazza. I remember the 1996/7 season gates dipped below 3,000 and we just avoided relegation from L2.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast