+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Knasmullner Rapid exit

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    LOL. No good running away, let’s stick with the «* catchment area «* point and carry on the discussion.
    I thought it was a widely used term.

1. Catchment area = the geographical area surrounding a ground containing the population the club is likely to draw it's support from.

2. The larger the population, the larger the crowd that is likely to be generated.

3. The larger the crowd, the more income that can be generated.

4. The more income, the better the player that can be brought in.

5. The better the player, the more the likelihood of success.

There are anomalies such as Sheffield and Newcastle where heavily populated catchment areas haven't brought success despite the large attendances but generally the above has held true since the Football League was formed.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    I thought it was a widely used term.

1. Catchment area = the geographical area surrounding a ground containing the population the club is likely to draw it's support from.

2. The larger the population, the larger the crowd that is likely to be generated.

3. The larger the crowd, the more income that can be generated.

4. The more income, the better the player that can be brought in.

5. The better the player, the more the likelihood of success.

There are anomalies such as Sheffield and Newcastle where heavily populated catchment areas haven't brought success despite the large attendances but generally the above has held true since the Football League was formed.

The population of Tyneside is almost 800,000, and there is one club. Sheffield’s population is roughly 518,000 and there are two clubs with roughly equal support, unlike say Stoke or Nottingham.

Barnsley Met Borough is roughly 23I,000.

Ipswich and Burnley have done well with small catchment areas.

You're comparing the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley with the city part of Sheffield. The equivalent boundary of Sheffield has a population of 722,000 within it.

I thought "Stoke" had Stoke City and Port Vale and "Nottingham" had Forest and County.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 26-06-2018 at 11:51 AM.

You're comparing the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley with the city part of Sheffield. The equivalent boundary of Sheffield has a population of 722,000 within it.

I thought "Stoke" had Stoke City and Port Vale and "Nottingham" had Forest and County.

Out of interest where did you get the Sheffield figure from ?

Out of interest where did you get the Sheffield figure from ?
    I Googled "Sheffield population"--a few official websites appear. Take your pick of two or three.

I Googled "Sheffield population"--a few official websites appear. Take your pick of two or three.
    You have to wonder how they manage to tie their own shoe laces down the A61 SB !!!

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    You have to wonder how they manage to tie their own shoe laces down the A61 SB !!!
    More slip on shoes are sold there than anywhere else in the UK
    I googled it

Says the genius who’s nostalgic for the 1950s when Barnsley regularly had «*25,000 plus average attendances*» but when challenged to provide evidence came up with a historical high of 21,000 and that being 1948 👋

Well I’ve «*googled*» but didn’t find anywhere that gave that figure, hence the request for a link, which you’ve failed to provide. You’re not animallittle in disguise by any chance ?

Did you go to the same school, or are all Barnsley schools useless ?

Well I’ve «*googled*» but didn’t find anywhere that gave that figure, hence the request for a link, which you’ve failed to provide. You’re not animallittle in disguise by any chance ?

Did you go to the same school, or are all Barnsley schools useless ?
    I remain patient and civilised, not wishing to descend to your level of abuse.

The first one I tried was "World population review.com/world cities/sheffield". There in big writing on the right you will see--
    "How many people live in Sheffield ? 722,000.

My interest in this is over.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast