+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: FA Cup - Thread

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    That's my point Elite. Literally nobody saw Turner's recent drop in form coming. Not the manager nor the fans.
    Ditto Slocombe has been very good recently and good overall this season so you don't expect that from him either.

Does Bird and Tootle help matters today, no. If those two chosen ahead of Turner (POTS to date candidate) and Brindley, fans would rightly be in uproar.
    But are Turner's performances dipping due to the fact that he has no competition? As with lots of the players?

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    That's my point Elite. Literally nobody saw Turner's recent drop in form coming. Not the manager nor the fans.
    True, I certainly didn't see it coming but it still leaves questions for Ardley to answer. I am a fan of Pierce Bird, whenever I've seen him play he's looked a player of potential and at the very least merited a place on the bench. Ardley obviously disagrees, because he shipped him out and signed Alex Lacey as cover. Lacey could be either a quality signing or a waste of money, I don't know because I've never seen him play. The point is that when (in my opinion) we had decent cover from within, why didn't we address the problem area of a mobile, creative midfielder instead? I realise that at our level this type of player doesn't grow on trees, but there must be some options out there to at least provide a bit of competition, because the names of Doyle and Rose seem to be indelibly printed on Ardley's teamsheets. I know I'm only playing 'keyboard manager' here, but I don't think I'm the only one who finds this mystifying.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    I've just seen the highlights and interview and thought exactly the same thing mate. He said it again, he says it every interview, if I were him I'd stop saying it just to give it a rest!

So OK Ardley and Cox are drilling them all week, fair enough so why can't the players do it? Is it lack of brains or bad training or communication problems? I don't believe the players aren't good enough to form a solid back four at this level. They don't have much protection in front but even on crosses we look shaky every time they come into the box, we let in so many headers.

He can't buy more defenders so what are we going to do.
    If players are failing to carry out instructions on the pitch, it can only be down to one of the following reasons:

a) The instructions weren't clear
    b) The players aren't capable of carrying out the instructions
    c) The players are capable, but for whatever reason they aren't motivated or willing to do what they are told

All three lead back to bad management. This is his team, his players. If they aren't or can't do what he is telling them, it's his fault.

Another thing that winds me up - and the vast majority of football managers do this - is saying after a defeat all the things that are wrong and need fixing. Like 'we need to be better in both boxes.' Yeah I know we do mate, but there's not much I can do about it is there.

When a manager says the same stuff every week but nothing ever changes, you have to wonder where we're going. Nowhere is my guess.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 01-12-2019 at 07:11 PM.

The manager as always will carry the can and pay the price of the sack.
    Next game now huge obviously , today I expected exactly what we got like the vast majority of fans.

Ardley must be feeling the heat and expecting more from his reliable performers.

There is absolutely no competition for places, so no matter how poor the players attitude or play is, they continue to be picked. We are heading only one way under Ardley and that's even further backwards and downwards.

Can’t wait till JOB is back … and is played LM with both Booty AND Shields on the bench.

Not sure whether you'll wanna see this.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50589256

... the basics are - always: first to the ball; stop the cross.
    Goal 1: Slocomb - under no (usual/normal) goaline pressure, had time to move across and push/punch the ball clear.
    Goal 2: Brindley - runs alongside winger; must see when he's about to cross the ball, fails to block cross.
    Goal 3: Slocomb - no pressure/6 yard box clear; fails to punch clear/out-jumped by cf.
    ... ffs ... drop Slocomb; maybe Brindley (who has been my preferred R.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... ffs ... drop Slocomb
    Who would you play instead?

The only other players available are Fitz *eeek*, Culverwell *eeekx2* or the keeper's coach, Jake Kean.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast