+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Nolan now favourite and being interviewed now

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. If he reappoints Nolan and we lose the first couple of games, the fans will go absolutely mental. We're talking full-on Fullarton-style mental, possibly worse. Then what does Hardy do? He can't sack him again, not after a few weeks. It would go down in history as one of the most insane football stories ever, and would cement Notts County in the history books as the biggest joke club around. We wouldn't recover from it, and we'd drop out of the league.

But what if we win the first couple of games? I think people would get behind Nolan pretty quickly again. But he would have to hit the ground running - and what are the chances of that with this squad?

I just can't see it happening. If Nolan really just needed to sort out some personal issues and take a time out, he should have been put on gardening leave for six weeks. I believe that people can lose their way due to non-work-related issues, and they can come back stronger than before, but you'd think his chance at Notts had sailed.
    Playing devils advocate, what were the chances of him hitting the ground running with the squad he inherited the first time around? We were looking just as hopeless!
    It’s a no from me but I’ll never subscribe to the fact he was a useless manager. He saved us from relegation and got us into the playoffs against the odds!

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Playing devils advocate, what were the chances of him hitting the ground running with the squad he inherited the first time around? We were looking just as hopeless!
    It’s a no from me but I’ll never subscribe to the fact he was a useless manager. He saved us from relegation and got us into the playoffs against the odds!
    I agree. He worked wonders for about 18 months, but blew it all up in the space of a few weeks. Overall, he did a great job for us. I remember saying on several occasions last season that regardless of what you think about his style of play, he knows what it takes to win games at this level - which made the summer and start to this season even stranger.

It's hard to know which version is the real Nolan - the one who turned a bunch of losers into a coherent and effective team, or the one that blew the budget this summer on a bunch of gutless losers.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 21-11-2018 at 10:09 AM.