+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some reflections.......

Some reflections.......

Gave it a little bit of time before posting so as to let the emotions simmer down a bit. Obviously disappointed over how things panned out but I said before it was 50/50 getting through these play offs and so it proved - going all the way to penalties is about as 50/50 as it gets. The penalties themselves were an absolute shocker, however the fact their keeper was getting to jump a couple of yards forward off his line every time and getting away with it didn’t help. On reflection therefore, that’s us back at square one, yeh? No, not quite I would suggest.

The owners have really been at pains to say prior to these games that the results of these matches in no way would change plans for the Club moving forward and that another season in the Championship was a very real possibility. As such, they were clearly managing expectations for the fans about how difficult these play offs are, whilst simultaneously reassuring the punters not to worry - the direction the Club is rebuilding in will not deviate due to this. We have to have confidence in this process. The Snake and his hanger on cronies are gone - the Club is finally entering a new season without that albatross round her necks. That in itself is a positive development that eases the pain of Sunday.

I do feel that in contrast to the last couple of years we genuinely competed in these play offs, even in comparison to two years ago where frankly we rode our luck big style. ICT were put away in a straightforward fashion while the St Mirren game could have gone either way. I think back to the Accies game in 2017 and frankly I thought they were miles ahead of us, Simon Murray penalty or not. Consequently we are definitely closer but unfortunately still not quite good enough. We are probably back up to bottom three or four Premiership level which I accept is still not where we want to be but frankly better than what we’ve been since we went down, which is a scary thought.

Therefore, there is still a gap to be closed. How do we do that? Firstly, the lesson learnt yet again, is that we MUST win the League. These play offs are far too much of a lottery. We have just played 4 matches, conceded one goal, scored five and not lost in regulation time. Yet we’re still not up. The good news is that for the first time in three years we will finally have some stability moving forward. The core of the team will be kept together and there will be no more managerial roundabouts. The funds are there for the manager to add to what we’ve got which I would suggest should be an attacking midfielder and a good, reliable striker. We are undoubtedly more solid and will concede much fewer goals next season but the difference we clearly need to elevate us up to the next level is more goals. I’m pretty sure RN recognises this and will correct this.

Looking to next season, when comparing to our potential rivals we have take out the emotion of the weekend and look at things sensibly. We are, by some distance, by far and away in a better shape than most of our potential rivals. ICT look like their team is starting to break up with the likes of Polworth on his way and if they are signing the likes of Keatings then that says it all. The Funsters have an absolutely MASSIVE rebuilding job ahead and they’ve still not even got a new manager in yet while the clock is ticking by. Ayr will be nowhere near what they were last season. Partick are the team I reckon will end up being our closest rivals.

In summary, keep the faith. Despite what happened on Sunday, we genuinely are in a better place moving into next season than we have been for a considerable time. The funds are there for the additional signings we will need and frankly the League looks weaker than ever next year. We have to aim to be in a position where we are going up to be competitive in the Premiership not be cannon fodder that come straight back down. The games v St Mirren proved that we are not there yet. Gutting as it is, unfortunately we clearly still need a bit more reconstruction and another fizzy pop season to get us ready but I feel we are getting there. What I would say is that Neilson needs to get us off to a flier next season but I feel more confident than for some considerable time that we will.

It’s taken some time and it might not feel like it right now following Sunday, but the tide IS turning. Onwards and upwards!

P2BAA.
    Last edited by JamesMcClean; 28-05-2019 at 08:17 AM.

Agree with all of that. In 2017 we were fortunate to make final and we were extremely poor when we got there. Also feel St Mirren were better than that Hamilton side and it still took penalties to beat us.

Gutting to be facing a 4th season in Championship but for the first time we’ll now go into a new season with owner, manager and core group players we can all get behind. Only since Neilson came in have we put together any sort of run that could transfer into winning the title. I’m confident we’ll deliver this time.

Simon Murray a figure that divided opinion. Technically not the most gifted footballer, but ran his heart out and would nick the occasional goal but missed a barrel load. However could have done with some of that spirit on Sun. One thing i would stop this season is the 'over confident' predictions in the media. Lets just go about our job quietly and efficiently i.e. talking on the park

Excellent opening post James.

I wouldn't write off the Fun.
    We might have a right ding-dong with them next season.
    They may even appoint a good manager. (I hope it's Kenny but it sound like McPake).

But I, like you, am happy enough in our renaissance.
    We might, just might, have an excellent season in every department from 1st team squad to pie huts.

Don't think anyone is going to disagree with what is being said in the OP but imo St Mirren are the worst team we've played in all our play offs to date so it was a huge chance missed,even when their 2 best players were substituted and they were down to 10 men for the last 7 or 8 minutes we never put them under any pressure.

Admittedly the play offs are a bit of a gamble as are penalty kicks but we were so off the pace it was unreal and deserved what we got. Not 1 outside player can hold his head up and say he played well and that's unacceptable.

OK..... So I'm not over it yet

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    Don't think anyone is going to disagree with what is being said in the OP but imo St Mirren are the worst team we've played in all our play offs to date
    That St Mirren team would have comfortably beaten our team of two years ago and are/were probably on a par with Accies of two years ago IMHO. I’m not saying they are great, indeed far, far from it, but we were closer than 2017. Still some way to go though - only way to go is to win the bloody League. If they hadn’t won it, I’m not convinced Ross County would have got up on Sunday for instance.

Excellent post James

Also agree Partick will be the one to watch, the fun you never know what to expect, the fact we are in the division will motivate them hugely as lifesanocean made a point in teks "the Fun will be in their element that we've stayed down because their obsessive hatred of us will spur them on next season to challenge for 1st place whereas if we'd gone up you'd have been lucky if they'd finish mid-table next"

However even then think it's a weaker league next year, if we go about our business in the summer and quietly in the press I can't see past us for automatic promotion

It's a bit early to make any judgement about finishing positions given we don't know the line-up we'll have, let alone anyone else.

I want to be promoted on the basis that when we go up, we stay up! On the evidence of our play off games, I would suggest that we would be in for a relegation battle if we had gone up. The club has long been needing the cancer rooted out of it and I think we have finally done that. We need a preseason to recover and with the opportunity to start a season cancer free, we could prosper. The club feels like it is on the up again. fingers crossed that we can get our targets in quickly, don't want to be in the 'need time to gel' position again and gifting points early in the season.
    The slate is wiped clean for me, I will be backing, team, manager and owner...for the first time in a long time, we are united!

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    ifesanocean made a point in teks "the Fun will be in their element that we've stayed down because their obsessive hatred of us will spur them on next season to challenge for 1st place whereas if we'd gone up you'd have been lucky if they'd finish mid-table next"
    an assumption thats actually probably bang f ucking on eh lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)