+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: OT The Darts

So is Luke Littler gonna be the new labour leader? Lost track.

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    So is Luke Littler gonna be the new labour leader? Lost track.
    I fear he's too young to vote, let alone stand! Interesting listening to him in interview yesterday when he mentioned he had "no GCSE's (except sport)" so he would make an excellent Chancellor of the Exchequer

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Hmmm...but wasn’t it you who introduced ‘politics’ in post 14? Physician heal thyself.
    No it wasn’t, happy to have corrected you

For anyone wanting to read about the world of darts (admittedly as it was twenty years ago) I recommend this, which has been shared widely amongst my group of friends (and is currently in a location unknown!) https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/3231168

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    No it wasn’t, happy to have corrected you
    Hang on...not looking for a fight (we haven’t had one of those for ages)...but is it not the case that you introduced the issue of ‘minorities’ into the chat, GP ran with it in terms of harmless banter (northerners being minorities) and I took it a little further with more banter about the ‘red (northern) wall’.
    If I’m wrong please feel free to explain why - saying ‘no it wasn’t’ isn’t an explanation - but I honestly think your crack about him not being a ‘minority’ so therefore unlikely to be a contender for SPOTY was the trigger.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 04-01-2024 at 02:30 PM.

Hang on...not looking for a fight (we haven’t had one of those for ages)...but is it not the case that you introduced the issue of ‘minorities’ into the chat, GP ran with it in terms of harmless banter (northerners being minorities) and I took it a little further with more banter about the ‘red (northern) wall’.
    If I’m wrong please feel free to explain why - saying ‘no it wasn’t’ isn’t an explanation - but I honestly think your crack about him not being a ‘minority’ so therefore unlikely to be a contender for SPOTY was the trigger.
    I never look for a ‘fight’ but to clarify, my comment (and most of my comments in the various ‘putting the world to rights’ discussions) relates to the way the world is currently moving/seeing itself, that’s not political, I don’t recall any of the things I express an opinion on having been decreed by any political party. Your comment (and many if not most of your comments in the same threads) has a political edge to it, naming politicians and usually your disdain for them. Your comment also had zero relevance to the subject from my recollection. as always, open to alternative views but not on this thread

Making a random comment insinuating that being part of a minority is a prerequisite for SPOTY recognition - which is what you did - is a political comment. It may not be a ‘party political’ point but it is political.
    Although I disagree with you, I recognise that everyone is entitled to their opinion but please don’t play the ‘holier than thou’ card and make out that the tiny bit of political banter on that particular thread was all down to me.

POI...of the 69 SPOTY winners I think about 64 have been white.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 04-01-2024 at 06:20 PM.

An interesting stat and perhaps indicative of a number of things:

1. Possible under representation of black-asian athletes at top level? Doubtful.

2. Minority athletes just not being good enough to win? Questionable.

3. Voter bias especially during the "free vote" years which are the majority of the 64 years? Probable

4. Over the 64 years spanned the black/asian population has risen from very few to maybe 13% now. So on average say 7%. Hence 6 in 64 (approx 10%) is over representative.

Incidentally I make it 9, "rounding up the halves", counting Hamilton twice:

Hamilton 2 Farah Whitbread Holmes Christie Lewis Raducanu Thompson. And that excludes the first Black winner in 1958. Nine is nearly 15%....

Making a random comment insinuating that being part of a minority is a prerequisite for SPOTY recognition - which is what you did - is a political comment. It may not be a ‘party political’ point but it is political.
    Although I disagree with you, I recognise that everyone is entitled to their opinion but please don’t play the ‘holier than thou’ card and make out that the tiny bit of political banter on that particular thread was all down to me.

As I said, not for this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    An interesting stat and perhaps indicative of a number of things:

1. Possible under representation of black-asian athletes at top level? Doubtful.

2. Minority athletes just not being good enough to win? Questionable.

3. Voter bias especially during the "free vote" years which are the majority of the 64 years? Probable

4. Over the 64 years spanned the black/asian population has risen from very few to maybe 13% now. So on average say 7%. Hence 6 in 64 (approx 10%) is over representative.

Incidentally I make it 9, "rounding up the halves", counting Hamilton twice:

Hamilton 2 Farah Whitbread Holmes Christie Lewis Raducanu Thompson. And that excludes the first Black winner in 1958. Nine is nearly 15%....
    Lol...you’re not having Ian! You’re probably right...always been better at counting than me and I did forget Hamilton - mainly because I generally try to forget ‘motor sport’, but 15%, even if the numbers have recently and justifiably increased, speaks volumes.

Andy...you introduced this particular aspect to the thread. Bit harsh to now decree it unwanted.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 04-01-2024 at 07:44 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)