+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The champions league format

The champions league format

Does anyone think the current format is crap?

Would it work better in an actual league format instead of groups and knockout

Also, doesn't CHAMPIONS league defeat the object somewhat

IF you only had the actual champions of all the European leagues, THEN you could call it the champions league, the league format would genuinely pit the best of Europe against each other, you might get Barcelona vs Juventus or PSG vs bayern Munich, but at least it would always be the actual champions, and you'd never get 2 teams from the same country against each other coz there would only be one team per country!

You could then keep the best of the rest Cup but make that a huge knockout competition say up to 128 teams across Europe, a random draw from round one, ditch the seeding crap coz that just guarantees getting say real Madrid who would come 2nd to Barcelona against 2nd from the Irish league for example

I just think it would make it fairer and more interesting, having these 2 formats for these 2 tournaments.

I remember one year a team who had won their league got kicked out coz Liverpool fluked their cup win and yet finished outside of the champs league qualifying positions in the Premier league, that infuriated me

So thoughts on this folks, just something football related that isn't leeds

Quote Originally Posted by CLIVETHELEEDSFAN View Post
    Does anyone think the current format is crap?

Would it work better in an actual league format instead of groups and knockout

Also, doesn't CHAMPIONS league defeat the object somewhat

IF you only had the actual champions of all the European leagues, THEN you could call it the champions league, the league format would genuinely pit the best of Europe against each other, you might get Barcelona vs Juventus or PSG vs bayern Munich, but at least it would always be the actual champions, and you'd never get 2 teams from the same country against each other coz there would only be one team per country!

You could then keep the best of the rest Cup but make that a huge knockout competition say up to 128 teams across Europe, a random draw from round one, ditch the seeding crap coz that just guarantees getting say real Madrid who would come 2nd to Barcelona against 2nd from the Irish league for example

I just think it would make it fairer and more interesting, having these 2 formats for these 2 tournaments.

I remember one year a team who had won their league got kicked out coz Liverpool fluked their cup win and yet finished outside of the champs league qualifying positions in the Premier league, that infuriated me

So thoughts on this folks, just something football related that isn't leeds
    Obviously that won't happen, but I agree that champions should be, well, the champions.

Perhaps they could keep the current format, but add a separate knock-out tournament for the genuine champions?

I agree it won't change anytime soon, but wouldn't it be better if the so called champions league consisted of the best team for that season, makes sense to me

the old format was the best, basically the champions of each country going in to a straight knockout tournament, home and away over two legs . the old european cup when the champions of europe, were the proper champions.

the current format is just a money making scheme for uefa and the tv companies. . no club can ever justifiably be called the champions of europe if they did not win their own domestic league in the same year. its farcical in the eyes of many fans.

but it is all to do with money now , and not the essence of sport, no even playing fields anymore , when their is far too much money in the game , and it is been distributed far too unevenly between the the big clubs, and the far less wealthier clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by CLIVETHELEEDSFAN View Post
    I agree it won't change anytime soon, but wouldn't it be better if the so called champions league consisted of the best team for that season, makes sense to me
    Its all about money Clive .....

Quote Originally Posted by Marley past ghosts View Post
    the old format was the best, basically the champions of each country going in to a straight knockout tournament, home and away over two legs . the old european cup when the champions of europe, were the proper champions.

the current format is just a money making scheme for uefa and the tv companies. . no club can ever justifiably be called the champions of europe if they did not win their own domestic league in the same year. its farcical in the eyes of many fans.

but it is all to do with money now , and not the essence of sport, no even playing fields anymore , when their is far too much money in the game , and it is been distributed far too unevenly between the the big clubs, and the far less wealthier clubs.

You just don't realise how many contradictions you've cramped in there compared to all your other drivel ...

Interesting also how you profess to know what's in "The eyes" of many other fans??? lol

knobber!

ps - If you where to ever get to ER you would probably be one of those dickheads embarrassing themselves and ALL real Leeds fans with their constant rendition of WACCOE... Fecking embarrassing!
    Last edited by Tichi1; 21-04-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tichi1 View Post
    You just don't realise how many contradictions you've cramped in there compared to all your other drivel ...

Interesting also how you profess to know what's in "The eyes" of many other fans??? lol

knobber!

ps - If you where to ever get to ER you would probably be one of those dickheads embarrassing themselves and ALL real Leeds fans with their constant rendition of WACCOE... Fecking embarrassing!
    a 62 year old giving it the big lips , got under your skin good and proper lol

you would need a clean pair of pants if we ever ran in to each other thats for sure lol

the invitation to the white hart still stands by the way. lol

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)