+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Chaplin

It wasn’t that Pompey wouldn’t sell him to us as Isgrove was to be part of the deal at that time, he had the option of us or Coventry and he chose them apparently because he thought he wouldn’t play that much?
    What baffles me is that he thinks he might play in the Championship with us when he thought he wouldn’t in League 1? We still have Moore and Woodrow as we did then!
    What worries me is that he may be a replacement for Moore and if he is we are done for! He will have to score some goals for me to take to him after snubbing us last season and he really doesn’t look that good when you see his highlights, I don’t get it there seems to be better out there for that money?

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Costing us a million quid apparently , I sincerely hope the lad does well here but I'm far from convinced he's what we need right now .
    Its a big gamble isnt it Animal, for us anyway!. And Im saying IF because we have been speculating about this lad for far too long now.
    Is he realy worth the money, and is he really any better than Lg One standards ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Its a big gamble isnt it Animal, for us anyway!. And Im saying IF because we have been speculating about this lad for far too long now.
    Is he realy worth the money, and is he really any better than Lg One standards ?.
    I don't see the lad this season starting too many games , what I do see is he can come off the bench with 20 minutes to go and having a bit of energy about him that could turn a losing position in to a draw or better .

Absolutely no way is he going to dislodge Woodrow or even Moore for that matter and get a start .

He's further forward than Miller and Victor I will say that .

There isn’t one Coventry fan who thinks this isn’t a fantastic deal for them which is worrying! Apparently he will be announced tomorrow and we will have paid 1 million for him, double what they paid and with a sell on clause.
    They are hoping to replace him with Bright Enokabahre or Tyler Walker at Mansfield? Am I the only one thinking that either of those two would be a better signing for us than Chaplin and cheaper?

.. He's further forward than Miller and Victor I will say that .
    So do you reckon hes better than, say Victor Ado then ?. And are we going to offload Victor this season maybe, as he will want to be better than a bench warmer wont he ?.

You know my thoughts about him perky I've been saying it since they showed interest in him last summer and he proofed it last season 8 goals in 33 games in pub lg I'd rather take a risk with a £200,000 unknown than him

Quote Originally Posted by perkytyke View Post
    There isn’t one Coventry fan who thinks this isn’t a fantastic deal for them which is worrying! Apparently he will be announced tomorrow and we will have paid 1 million for him, double what they paid and with a sell on clause.
    They are hoping to replace him with Bright Enokabahre or Tyler Walker at Mansfield? Am I the only one thinking that either of those two would be a better signing for us than Chaplin and cheaper?
    Football isn't an exact science and neither Pompey or Coventry these days considering the size of the two clubs can lay claim to have the title of we have all the answers and have a fantastic model .

As the season came down to the final few weeks Pompey ran out of energy , hardly laid a glove on Sunderland in the play offs , even Jamal Lowe was on his @ss .

Coventry's problems are well documented and many of the comments I've read from Coventry fans is that Robins style of play didn't suit the lad .

I personally think as fans we have to look at this signing as a kid who could nick us a few points rather than the standout signing who is going to start and knock in fif**** championship goals .

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    So do you reckon hes better than, say Victor Ado then ?. And are we going to offload Victor this season maybe, as he will want to be better than a bench warmer wont he ?.
    Victor was off the pace at league one level it's not rocket science to say he's a million miles away from the championship .

Victor won't make the bench this season unless we are really struggling with injuries and suspensions .

Quote Originally Posted by DOOALI View Post
    You know my thoughts about him perky I've been saying it since they showed interest in him last summer and he proofed it last season 8 goals in 33 games in pub lg I'd rather take a risk with a £200,000 unknown than him
    I'm trying to take the pragmatic approach with the club's recruitment policy .

What's fairly clear to me is that the two targets for around or over £2m that we were linked with are going to be difficult to get over the line because at this moment in time we lack a real positive championship brand .

Bigger clubs than us are in the same market to acquire Turnbull and Kone .

Twenty years ago we competed at this level because we had a brand , Hignett , Dyer , Sheron and Shipperley etc came here because we were a club who had a very good Championship brand , we had gates of 17k plus , paid the wages and had a PL season behind us .

We aren't at this moment in time anywhere near the level we were 20 years ago .

The truth is in the modern world of championship football we are nobody's .

Give it a couple of seasons at this level and some progression and it maybe a different story .

Victor was off the pace at league one level it's not rocket science to say he's a million miles away from the championship . Victor won't make the bench this season unless we are really struggling with injuries and suspensions .
    It just shows doesnt it how brilliantly young Jacob Brown did last season. When he definitely stepped up from the U23s and Victor, for whatever rerasons, didnt!.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast