+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Cricket World Cup

Superb. I’m afraid I was fearing the worst as the last over started. It reminded me of penalty shoot offs ... here we go again I thought !

Still cannot believe what actually happened yesterday. NZ needing 2 off the very last ball of the 'Super Over'. Could somebody please post that short clip off the BBC site? Even the stuffed shirts who patronise Lords got a little bit excited. I cannot imagine the reaction if that had happened at Edgbaston in front of that rather boisterous lot.

Yes, it's great that we won and to be fair, overall, England deserved it. I'm as 'over the moon' as the next fan but genuinely feel sorry for New Zealand who did not deserve to lose the game and were so gracious in defeat. I probably wouldn't feel the same if it was the Autralians who we had beaten in this manner but is there a case for sharing the trophy? I suppose you could make the same case for all sporting competitions that are so close.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Yes, it's great that we won and to be fair, overall, England deserved it. I'm as 'over the moon' as the next fan but genuinely feel sorry for New Zealand who did not deserve to lose the game and were so gracious in defeat. I probably wouldn't feel the same if it was the Autralians who we had beaten in this manner but is there a case for sharing the trophy? I suppose you could make the same case for all sporting competitions that are so close.
    So, England deserved it but New Zealand didn't deserve to lose.
    The bat that scored 4 whilst lying prone on the floor should be awarded a knighthood, or the inanimate object equivalent!

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    So, England deserved it but New Zealand didn't deserve to lose.
    The bat that scored 4 whilst lying prone on the floor should be awarded a knighthood, or the inanimate object equivalent!
    What I meant Chris was that neither side deserved to lose on the day but over the whole tournament England probably deserved to win. If that makes sense.

As I have been trying to explain on various emails to best friends in Christchurch, the Black Caps did NOT lose the match. That was a draw both in full time and in the super over.

Yes they lost the big one, I.e. the World Cup trophy but that was decided in a committee room well before the tournament even started, not by the outcome of this cricket match. I am struggling to celebrate the winning of the trophy and have not done so but have only sent messages of condolences rather than celebration.

That said I hope cricket finally wakes up to the reality that they have a tremendous product in 50 over cricket. This push headlong into T20 is ok but don’t do that at the expense of, in my eyes anyway, a far better product that is the 50 over game.

I think I will try to change my avatar and put a big black cloud over the Wellington skyline!!

Quote Originally Posted by Q165 View Post
    Still cannot believe what actually happened yesterday. NZ needing 2 off the very last ball of the 'Super Over'. Could somebody please post that short clip off the BBC site? Even the stuffed shirts who patronise Lords got a little bit excited. I cannot imagine the reaction if that had happened at Edgbaston in front of that rather boisterous lot.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj9x...&frags=pl%2Cwn

Sorry to bring you down to earth but, the greatest game of cricket, I don't think so. I've seen much better games of cricket in my long association with the game. However, for excitement, this has to be the best there has ever been and I am unlikely to witness it again in my lifetime. From the moment the ball hit Stoke's bat and ran for four overthrows, I felt our name was on the cup. Let's hope that more kids will now take up the game and secure its future for years to come. Oh, and by the way, a 5-0 whitewash of the Aussies would taste very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    I really can't see a way back. 4 down and we haven't reached a hundred yet.
    You wrote off on May30th and today about 10.45 I reckon

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    We haven’t won it yet.

No need for such a smug attitude.
    And now we have won I do feel smug as the only one on here who said we would or even that we had a chance.

I did get very annoyed at the lack of respect shown to English Cricket over the last 4 years for changing us from the worst ODI team to the very best.

Great game, rub of the green went very much England's way. Agree with whay Leics said aboout NZ being the better team on the day but Eng being the best overall.

FWIW I think we will lose the Ashes.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)