+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump's Ideas on Stopping School Shootings

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Totally different subject Sinkov.

USA 11,000 gun deaths per annum.

UK 26 gun deaths per annum.

We do gun control much better over here.
    The subject I was commenting 59/60 on was the arrogant assumption that we do things better than the Yanks in this country. The situation regarding gun control is totally different over here, there is no history of gun ownership in the UK, no one believes he has a right to own one, or the need to own one. Any comparison between the two countries is fatuous.

And on the subject of Jihadist traitors, do you seriously think Trump, fool that he may be, would have them back in the good old US of A ? Of course not, he's not that stupid, how they must laugh at us in America.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    The subject I was commenting 59/60 on was the arrogant assumption that we do things better than the Yanks in this country. The situation regarding gun control is totally different over here, there is no history of gun ownership in the UK, no one believes he has a right to own one, or the need to own one. Any comparison between the two countries is fatuous.

And on the subject of Jihadist traitors, do you seriously think Trump, fool that he may be, would have them back in the good old US of A ? Of course not, he's not that stupid, how they must laugh at us in America.
    Sinkov, until around 100 years ago the gun laws in the US and UK were very similar.

We chose to introduce legislation to limit ownership - America chose to allow the masses to continue to own them.

The link is a long but interesting read.

https://misesuk.org/2014/12/22/the-b...s-for-defence/

It doesn't negate my basic point though 59/60, that in this country the vast majority of citizens do not feel the need to be armed, nor do they insist on the right to be armed, thus legislating to control gun ownership is not problematical. I've no idea on the actual numbers, but in the USA there are millions who insist upon retaining their legal right to be armed, so the problem any US government faces bears no comparison to the situation in this country. And as the problem in the USA stretches back to at least the previous century, anyone trying to pin the blame on Trump for the situation is manifestly as many sandwiches short of a picnic as the Donald himself.

This is also interesting from your link,

"In 2008, the United States Supreme Court heard District of Columbia v Heller. This case came about because Washington DC had banned handguns to virtually all its residents, except of course cops and robbers, and the few people who did have permission [sic] to keep a gun at home had to keep it dismantled and unserviceable, in which case it could not be used in the event of a home invasion or police raid. This turned DC into the murder capital of the United States: statistically the most dangerous place on Earth outside of some war zones. Mr Heller sought to overturn DC’s handgun ban and succeeded because the Supreme Court held that the city’s law infringed Heller’s Second-Amendment rights. The court recognized the right to keep and bear arms as an individual one. DC’s problem was that while the Constitution did not prevent them setting qualifications or taxes on the right, their law prevented the exercise of it altogether, and that was unconstitutional. The outcome was that DC had to revise its laws and create a carry permit law—thus following many other states in the past twenty years—so that its citizens could be armed for their defence as necessary. The increase in armed citizens, real or imagined, is certainly reflected in the downward trend of crime statistics in America."

No, I'm not blaming Trump for the many thousands of murders committed by shooters every year. ALTHOUGH he did accept $31 million from the NRA to help fight his election campaign.
    Which means that there is zero chance that he will do anything to annoy the gun lobby.
    Do YOU think that arming teachers will sort the problem out? Be honest please.

And I agree that, given where America are with guns, this will take decades to sort out properly. But if they don't start the process then things will never improve.

Like I said, around 100 years ago the gun laws in the US and UK were pretty similar - but we acted before it became a big problem. America didn't.

If we hadn't have legislated then Britain could well have the same problems that America has now. But we did.

I am not clear what you are advocating here. Status Quo? Arm the teachers? Or what?

I have always thought that we should respect the cultures in other countries, no matter how alien they seem to be to us. American, Muslim, Communist or whatever.

So perhaps I should just shut up and accept that America is a country where thousands of people die at the end of the gun.

But I will say that this, at least, is one issue that we have dealt with better than America.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    No, I'm not blaming Trump for the many thousands of murders committed by shooters every year. ALTHOUGH he did accept $31 million from the NRA to help fight his election campaign.
    Which means that there is zero chance that he will do anything to annoy the gun lobby.
    "I don't need anybody's money. It's nice. I don't need anybody's money. I’m using my own money. I’m not using the lobbyists. I’m not using donors. I don’t care. I’m really rich.”

Donald J Trump, June 16, 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by footy_le_bordel View Post
    "I don't need anybody's money. It's nice. I don't need anybody's money. I’m using my own money. I’m not using the lobbyists. I’m not using donors. I don’t care. I’m really rich.”

Donald J Trump, June 16, 2015.
    So his $31m from NRA isn’t true or his memory failed him ?

Well,fruity tooty ,it's Phookin Fluty.. How's it hanging ?

....and thats how they lead - by example.

We could well have had the same problems 59/60 ? I doubt it very much, despite what the laws said the culture of the two countries regarding carrying and owning guns was totally different. Or are you trying to tell me that the poor buggers working down t'pit in Victorian times, or the navvies digging out canals and railway cuttings were carrying Smith & Wessons ? My grandad worked as a tackler in a cotton mill, rest assured he never owned a gun, he couldn't have afforded one for a start, and why would he have felt the need for one, whatever the law said on the matter would have been irrelevant to people like him, of whom there were millions.

So you're not clear what I'm advocating ? That may be because I'm not being so presumptuous as to advocate anything, the problem appears intractable to far cleverer people than me. I'm just pointing out that sneering from this side of the Atlantic, and claiming we are far too clever and sophisticated to have allowed this problem to have developed here is ludicrous. Those poor kids in Manchester haven't been long enough in their graves yet for us to be thinking we know better than the Yanks how to deal with maniacs intent on mass murder.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    We could well have had the same problems 59/60 ? I doubt it very much, despite what the laws said the culture of the two countries regarding carrying and owning guns was totally different. Or are you trying to tell me that the poor buggers working down t'pit in Victorian times, or the navvies digging out canals and railway cuttings were carrying Smith & Wessons ? My grandad worked as a tackler in a cotton mill, rest assured he never owned a gun, he couldn't have afforded one for a start, and why would he have felt the need for one, whatever the law said on the matter would have been irrelevant to people like him, of whom there were millions.

So you're not clear what I'm advocating ? That may be because I'm not being so presumptuous as to advocate anything, the problem appears intractable to far cleverer people than me. I'm just pointing out that sneering from this side of the Atlantic, and claiming we are far too clever and sophisticated to have allowed this problem to have developed here is ludicrous. Those poor kids in Manchester haven't been long enough in their graves yet for us to be thinking we know better than the Yanks how to deal with maniacs intent on mass murder.
    Lots of words to say nothing. Two totally different scenarios.. I think you are missing the point to this thread.

Here's a question. What happens if a teacher is a against guns war or violence.. Will they not be allowed to teach.?
    How would an interview for a teaching role go?

Lunacy to the highest degree.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)