+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Straw poll: Maynard in or out?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I can't imagine any manager of any club higher in the pyramid than Wealdstone would have been demanding higher wages and compensation, he was literally part time and for that reason it's doubtful he was able to afford an agent able to intimidate clubs into paying over the odds either.

Any agent worth his fee, if he had one, would have made sure Notts committed long term with no easy swift get out clause over the fact he was taking a massive risk in giving up his day job, you'd think that would have been their best and most risk free bargaining tool, with Notts then offering less in terms of longer term bonuses in return, thinking they were on to a good deal in the expectation he would deliver - just as their stats told them he would.

It could be that Maynard happens to be well connected agent wise, or is highly skilled at doing deals himself, or was able to find somebody new to represent him for this purpose on a no win no fee type of basis, but looking from the outside and from what we know (the rumour that he has months), I'd guess Maynard was about as cheap an appointment as you could possibly get without stooping down to tier 6 or lower.
    I think you were missing the point UTM. I'm not saying he wasn't cheap , he might well have been the cheapest manager around. I think they primarily went for him because they felt he had the best attributes and potential to become the Manager of NCFC. I don't think his wages were pivotal in his appointment at any stage during the talks?.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    I think you were missing the point UTM. I'm not saying he wasn't cheap , he might well have been the cheapest manager around. I think they primarily went for him because they felt he had the best attributes and potential to become the Manager of NCFC. I don't think his wages were pivotal in his appointment at any stage during the talks?.
    I was missing the point.
    If you're right, and we're accepting the assertion that we have the 10th best budget in L2, then we're meant to believe that we could have afforded to poach any manager from the National League, any manager from more than half of clubs in L2, plus any currently out of work of lower L1 down to NL standard, also abroad (roughly lower 1st tier Swedish league standard) plus any assistant managers or coaches up to L1 or even tier 2 who might fancy stepping into the primary rule, and that out of those dozens and dozens and dozens of potential candidates, Stuart Maynard is better than ALL of them, every single one. Money was not the issue, he just stands out as the very very best.
    If we're factoring in playing style narrowing the field, then are we actually saying, out of all of those clubs up and down the country, and abroad, Notts have the most in common with part time Wealdstone?

Bloody hell. This is worse than I thought.