+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simon Tracey to be the new keeper coach

When I was at school I was always doodling and drawing Ted Burgin tipping a shot over the bar. I was only about twelve but he was my favourite. Hodge anothervof my favs. Tom McAllister was on his way to being a very good keeper until he broke his leg. We’ve been blessed as Blades to have witnessed a few good keepers. I thought John Hope looked a good un when he made his debut at Oxford but alas it didn’t last.

Quote Originally Posted by charliejoejohn2 View Post
    When I was at school I was always doodling and drawing Ted Burgin tipping a shot over the bar. I was only about twelve but he was my favourite. Hodge anothervof my favs. Tom McAllister was on his way to being a very good keeper until he broke his leg. We’ve been blessed as Blades to have witnessed a few good keepers. I thought John Hope looked a good un when he made his debut at Oxford but alas it didn’t last.
    To be fair Charlie Tom McCallister had a very decent career but he did look top drawer until Rodney(dirty bastird)Marsh did him and broke his leg.Hodgy's always high on my list of keepers i've seen play for us,even tho he always tried to shoot us when he ran towards Kop.UTCB

Yes, Charlie, Ted Burgin and Hodgy my 2 all-time favourites. Interestingly, Ted is still alive and is in his 90's. Locally born in Bradfield he was hated by the piggies (obviously because he was good). Their general consensus was that he was too"spectacular"- obviously he made too many saves for their liking. He did get a couple of England B caps and was in the 1954 World Cup squad, in Switzerland, Gil Merrick being England's number one then and Ted did not get a game. Incidentally, that World Cup was the one in which Germany beat Hungary 3-2, in the final, after Hungary had beaten Germany 7-1 (or maybe 7-2 ) in the first round.
    Hodgy= no praise too good for him, also locally born in Dinno. Again, interestingly both he and Ted were only around 5ft 7 or 8.
    Also, Rod, I rated Tom McCallister , and as you said, he was never the same after that broken leg-I heard the crack from the other end of the ground. Incidentally, Rod, I had the pleasure of missing 5 pens out of 5 against Tom ( well I missed the goal 4 times and he saved the other). This was in a sort of low level "Superstar" competition (A La TV Program with real Superstars in those days). This was at Herringthorpe Leisure Centre, which I'm sure you will know well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12