+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 123 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1345

Thread: Replacement for DM

Quote Originally Posted by 87kilos View Post
    Yer mate is talking Derek Whyte.

I know the gentleman who is in charge of golf and leisure at Mar Hall. Spike bar is under his remit, didn't happen in the "Spike bar".

Could be your mate talking pish. I know the guy who up until very recently, ran the bar & restaurant at Mar Hall. I tried to find out from him (can you picture my joy if I got it confirmed?) but he’d already left, which is a shame.

Could be glezgas mate talking pish, could be you saying you know the new guy running the pub, could be him saying he runs the pub, might be me saying I know the last guy, or it could be the last guy.

It could be that nobody’s talking pish though & McInnes popped in on his day off

Quote Originally Posted by donsviking View Post
    My problem with McInnes is his record in big matches which is appalling. Cup finals, semis, games against the OF and crucial matches in Europe to qualify for the Europa League, very few of which have been won. He does not see able to convince the players that they can win big games and instead of rising to the occasion they do the opposite and fall flat on their faces. Team selection in such games is also questionable with changes in personnel and system which seldom works instead of sticking to a team and system the players are comfortable with. Compare that with Lennon at Hibs who show no fear of Celtic and get results which appear completely beyond us.
    I have to say a lot of people are making out that Neil Lennon is a manager who wins big games but is that not the reason why he ended up leaving Celtic?

In his 4 years there he won 4 Semi finals, 2 of which were against us in the season Craig Brown took over from McGhee. He lost Semi finals to St Mirren,Hearts and Ross County as well as the 2 Semi finals he has lost with Hibs, he also lost to Kilmarnock in the League cup final with Celtic.

McInnes gets a lot of stick for not winning more trophies in a time where the Huns have been out of the picture but I would say Lennon has been just as bad. Two Scottish cup wins in 4 years for Celtic was the main reason he parted company with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    I firmly believe he was tapped up, agreed to it & then sh@t it due to a dislike of the Hun set up, rather than out of his burning love for Aberdeen

The club & support can polish that turd all they like.
    Why does he have to love Aberdeen though? Its a job and he doesnt need to have any affiliation to do the job right. Of course whether he is doing the job right in some peoples eyes is argument for another day.

When i'm trying to understand this situation, I think of myself and put myself in Dereks shoes. I personally dont have any affiliation to the company i work for and i do it because its secure, i get paid a good wage and it provides for my family. If i was approached about another job with better facilities, better tools and more money, of course i'm going to consider that. If like Sevco, the company is a shambles, i will likely stay put because security is more important than money to me. Its maybe the same for Derek. The club are obviously going to make it look more "romantic" and try to sell it that way to the fans.

The trouble with football is that the customer base i.e the fans are loyal to the club and expect the manager to be loyal too, but the truth is its just a job. It doesn't determine whether they are suitable for the job or are going to be good enough.

I think some folk need to cut Derek some slack to be honest. By all means question his tactics, dodgy subs and big game mentality, but this Sevco/Aberdeen thing needs to be put to bed, because at the end of the day he chose Aberdeen. the reasons behind that are irrelevant provided he does his best.

Time to move on !

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    I have to say a lot of people are making out that Neil Lennon is a manager who wins big games but is that not the reason why he ended up leaving Celtic?

In his 4 years there he won 4 Semi finals, 2 of which were against us in the season Craig Brown took over from McGhee. He lost Semi finals to St Mirren,Hearts and Ross County as well as the 2 Semi finals he has lost with Hibs, he also lost to Kilmarnock in the League cup final with Celtic.

McInnes gets a lot of stick for not winning more trophies in a time where the Huns have been out of the picture but I would say Lennon has been just as bad. Two Scottish cup wins in 4 years for Celtic was the main reason he parted company with them.

Agreed. DM gets stick for not winning big games, but fact is we are usually second favourites and often distant second favourites against richer clubs once we get to that stage (unlike Lennon with Celtic).

We've won a final; been to several (which involved having to win semi-finals, ie big games, including one against Lennon's Hibs); beaten Celtic twice in the league in the season we were closest to them and were under most pressure; and beaten a few European sides that on paper were stronger than us.

Yes there's been plenty of disappointments as well but "McInnes craps it in big games" is a ridiculous oversimplification.

For my taste he's been too experimental in games against Celtic in particular, but that's not lack of guts. Put out the expected side playing the expected system, get beat as expected by a much stronger group of players practically in their own patch, you won't get too much flack. Try something different, still get beat, and all the armchair curmudgeons in your support will blame the something different you tried, and you get plenty flack. Knowing that and doing it anyway because you're convinced it gives you a bit more of a chance of the trophy takes courage, even if the risk doesn't pay off.

I'm utterly unconvinced by Lennon. I think he's too Jekyll and Hyde, too quick to lose his temper and too quick to turn on his own players to be a consistently good man manager. Being a bully worked in the old days for guys like McLean and Clough, but nowadays players won't tolerate it. It can work for a wee while while results are good, but as soon as things go wrong the players will start to rebel.

He was average at Celtic when Hunco were starting to hit the skids and he was outspending the rest of the league, a disaster at Bolton (12 losses on the trot and his players disrespecting him on national tv). He's done a decent job at Hibs thus far, but for me he's a fair weather manager and when things start to go wrong I expect the wheels to come off completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Could be your mate talking pish. I know the guy who up until very recently, ran the bar & restaurant at Mar Hall. I tried to find out from him (can you picture my joy if I got it confirmed?) but he’d already left, which is a shame.

Could be glezgas mate talking pish, could be you saying you know the new guy running the pub, could be him saying he runs the pub, might be me saying I know the last guy, or it could be the last guy.

It could be that nobody’s talking pish though & McInnes popped in on his day off
    Nope. I'm not spouting pish. Name names, you and Glezga and I'll happily confirm if they work at Mar Hall.

Nope. I'm not spouting pish. Name names, you and Glezga and I'll happily confirm if they work at Mar Hall.
    I just said the chap I knew had recently left, which is a pity.

By the way, I met Alex Ferguson in Mar Hall this year. Can you ask your mate the time & date that I met him, just so I can confirm that I did? Cheers

Don't know if I'm being lumped in with the happy clappers.

My take on situationis this :- McInnes directly or through a third party engages in dialogue at time of Pedros's sacking (or perhaps even before) that he would be interested in the job. Six weeks later McInnes is spitting feathers that no official approach has been made.
    An approach is made and Milne refuses permission for talks. McInnes as a combination of not wanting to rip up his contract and also not entirely convinced that the Orcs are fully sold on him decides to stay put.

Milne's first statement ok apart from the bit where he inserted his tongue up the Huns Boards erse re needing a strong Huns and relationship with the 2 boards good. Why did he need to say this! Also the bizarre bit about him facilitating the move if McInness had made his mind up when he was refusing talks to take place.

I for one was resigned to McInnes going and given how the team has been performing this year in particular the 2 games against the Huns was fairly sanguine about the whole thing. Didn't like McInnes' statement that it was not time to leave just yet. WTF ?

However, time to move on get behind the team and hope Deek can sort out some of the problems which by and large have been of his own making

Quote Originally Posted by DollyLongstaffe View Post
    I'm utterly unconvinced by Lennon. I think he's too Jekyll and Hyde, too quick to lose his temper and too quick to turn on his own players to be a consistently good man manager. Being a bully worked in the old days for guys like McLean and Clough, but nowadays players won't tolerate it. It can work for a wee while while results are good, but as soon as things go wrong the players will start to rebel.

He was average at Celtic when Hunco were starting to hit the skids and he was outspending the rest of the league, a disaster at Bolton (12 losses on the trot and his players disrespecting him on national tv). He's done a decent job at Hibs thus far, but for me he's a fair weather manager and when things start to go wrong I expect the wheels to come off completely.
    Yeah I agree with you there.

Didn't he call his players a bunch of losers after we beat them in the Semi final last season.

That sort of comment might keep some fans happy but if he slates them in public like that too often I would imagine his players will get tired of him pretty quick.

Yer mate is talking Derek Whyte.

I know the gentleman who is in charge of golf and leisure at Mar Hall. Spike bar is under his remit, didn't happen in the "Spike bar".
    It was the bar that is more or less above the golf shop, looks out onto the car park/10th tee.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post

I am not saying Lennon is perfect but I still stand by my statement that he is a better manager than Derek McInnes. Lennon in all the matches you named never set out a team to try and stifle the opposition. In fairness he didn’t win every big match he ever managed but he certainly had a go.
    He would be a more than adequate replacement once Del gets sacked.

Page 123 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133 ... LastLast