+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin Fashanu to be inducted into Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    My apologies Swale, I've missed the point of the discussion - why was Justin Fashanu made a member of the Football Hall of Fame please?
    It's all in the originating post of this thread, complete with a link to an article from The Grauniad about it. You'll have to do better than that
    Last edited by SwalePie; 19-02-2020 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    It's all in the originating post of this thread, complete with a link to an article from The Grauniad about it. You'll have to do better than that
    The article in The Grauniad seems to make it clear he is being honoured in this way because of his openness about his seksuality and has nothing to do with his football career. If someone can get this award, not for footballing reasons but for "coming out", then it becomes meaningless for those recipients who got theirs for their outstanding football career.

I think it's great the first openly gay player is being honoured, hopefully it'll help in the long run with modern players being able to be comfortable with who they are and if they want to, come out so to speak. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this unless they just wanted to get outraged over something that doesn't really matter to them but could mean a lot to some people. Sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    I disagree. I don't agree with Gay Marriage being forced on churches that don't want to marry same *** couples, but I do believe in Gay Marriage in establishments that embrace it. From what you are saying, in your opinion, that would make me 'homophobic' (boy I hate that word), but if you knew my circumstances, you couldn't be further from the truth.
    Lulla. Same *** marriage has been a legal requirement in the UK for six years. Churches should not be allowed to pick and choose which bits of the law they adhere. Ultimately, when we're talking about churches we are talking about the opinion of people, not bricks and mortar. If those people don't want to tolerate UK law then they should have the marriage licence for their building revoked.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    I think it's great the first openly gay player is being honoured, hopefully it'll help in the long run with modern players being able to be comfortable with who they are and if they want to, come out so to speak. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this unless they just wanted to get outraged over something that doesn't really matter to them but could mean a lot to some people. Sad really.
    I'm very pleased you think it's great. Perhaps the fact that when he committed suicide he was on the run from the US Police who wanted to arrest him for ***ual assault on a minor, is not just cause to exclude him from the Hall of Fame. As I asked earlier, why has he been inducted?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    This! It's clear from the fact that Fashanu is still the only openly gay male pro footballer (who came out during his pro career) that football still has a huge problem accepting homo***uality. So applause to the National Football Museum for the gesture.

The hall of fame isn't just there to recognise outstanding natural ability. Just scanning the list I note Gary Speed and Ian Callaghan are in there too. Geoff Hurst wasn't a particularly brilliant player and I dare say few people today would have heard of him had the great Jimmy Greaves not been injured, but he took his chance and made an incredible mark on the English game in those brief few weeks.

I was there the day our entire football club were inducted into the National Football Museum. It wasn't because we were the best. It's because we were the first.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    Lulla. Same *** marriage has been a legal requirement in the UK for six years. Churches should not be allowed to pick and choose which bits of the law they adhere. Ultimately, when we're talking about churches we are talking about the opinion of people, not bricks and mortar. If those people don't want to tolerate UK law then they should have the marriage licence for their building revoked.
    The law is that same *** couples can marry. The law also says that churches do not have to marry them. So why are they not tolerating the law if they don't?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Political correctness is when us poor downtrodden Brits aren't allowed to fly England flags any more or put up lights at Christmas.

It was in The Sun, so it must be true.
    Yep, ‘politician correctness’ appears to based on ‘newspapers’ wanting to aggravate their readers by making up things in order to sell more newspapers, and even vote a certain way. You’ve got to admit it works, as we can see from this and other threads.

Let’s hope this honour for Justin Fashanu encourages footballers to be more open about their ***uality.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast