+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 20/21 expectations

With Sir Lawrence away in the summer we are going to be hard pressed to avoid relegation spots for most of the season. Even recycling the proceeds back into the rest of the team is not a sure fire route to survival.

Having said that my prediction is staying up without the need for an end of season cliff hanger! Get some early momentum and who knows...

Comfortably safe more than acceptable, anything else a bonus for first year back, we haven't come back upto the top flight after a few seasons out of it as a big club before, the only other time was 95/96 and we were back in a year

We could do better than we think but we shouldn't be expecting to swan back in when most of the clubs are battle hardened at surviving and picking up pts and two of those have a plastic pitch to help them

We will need to accept that we will lose more games than we have been and it'll take time to get to where we want

However we should not be going up and lingering round the bottom for multiple seasons like the funsters (the diddiest embarrassing city club going)

Quote Originally Posted by dreamoftangerine View Post
    With Sir Lawrence away in the summer we are going to be hard pressed to avoid relegation spots for most of the season. Even recycling the proceeds back into the rest of the team is not a sure fire route to survival.

Having said that my prediction is staying up without the need for an end of season cliff hanger! Get some early momentum and who knows...
    One thing I keep hearing people say when talking about Arbroath: because of having such a good season in League 1, they got used to winning. And its served them well in the Championship. Hopefully we can do the same. We have a tight-nit group. Its clear to see that. 4 or 5 really good signings and I think we could have a decent season.

Quote Originally Posted by BudMill90 View Post
    One thing I keep hearing people say when talking about Arbroath: because of having such a good season in League 1, they got used to winning. And its served them well in the Championship. Hopefully we can do the same. We have a tight-nit group. Its clear to see that. 4 or 5 really good signings and I think we could have a decent season.
    Looking at staying in the league anything towards top 6 a bonus but then looking improve into top 6 next season

I am absolutely ready to be patient and will accept that we might just be wanting to stay up first season.

Part of me though believes that we have chance of 5th or 6th. As said above 7th or 8th might be realistic in first season.

Would be nice to be competitive in all matches and not too easily turned over by OF though we will inevitably take one or two heavy defeats in first season back

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Depends on how well we invest in the first team. We're a big club, back in the big league and will be paying bigger than most. I'm quietly hoping for a top 6 finish tbh.
    It's good to see that folk aren't getting carried away with the expectations but I think you're spot on because where we finish will depend a bit on what Mr Ogren does.

His aim is top 6. He didn't say which year but I'm thinking it's the first available year.
    A lot will depend on who wears the number 9 jersey but we need more than a striker.

If Mark Ogren releases the funds and Robbie wakes up a wee bit I think we'll get 6th no bother. Scottish Cup, no, win it the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    It's good to see that folk aren't getting carried away with the expectations but I think you're spot on because where we finish will depend a bit on what Mr Ogren does.

His aim is top 6. He didn't say which year but I'm thinking it's the first available year.
    A lot will depend on who wears the number 9 jersey but we need more than a striker.

If Mark Ogren releases the funds and Robbie wakes up a wee bit I think we'll get 6th no bother. Scottish Cup, no, win it the following year.
    Important to remember that Neilson has been here before with Hearts. Promoted, 3rd place finish (i think?) Then left the club whilst in 2nd place. They've never really recovered from his departure. His experience will be as important next season as it has been in this one, maybe even more.

Quote Originally Posted by BudMill90 View Post
    Important to remember that Neilson has been here before with Hearts. Promoted, 3rd place finish (i think?) Then left the club whilst in 2nd place. They've never really recovered from his departure. His experience will be as important next season as it has been in this one, maybe even more.
    I agree with this.

The hearts 3rd was when prem weaker. Hibs and sevco in second tier. We were poor under tombola mixu and relegated despite poor teams around us.

The current prem has OF who will be competitive with each other. Then Aberdeen, Hibs, Well in decent shape.

I think equivalent to that hearts achievement would be to get us in top 6 as harder league now

Get back doon Derby

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    Play off final v the Dees.
    Stop it!
    Last edited by Jim_Jam; 26-02-2020 at 11:07 AM.

What will Dee expectations be for 20/21?
    Will they no come back again?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)