+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oldham Athletic Post Match Thoughts

Newell substitution seemed to change the dynamics of the game. His mazy dribbling run that led to the goal was a joy to watch. Some wayward forward movement of the ball let us down in the first half but we were playing competently if not with much inspiration. Oldham had some individual competence but had no real finish as a team. Second half we seemed gradually to gain a little in confidence but it was the Newell change that sparked us into life. I love the fact that we don't sit back when we're ahead and I admire the way the players seem to work for each other all the time. Again Potter, and to a lesser extent Williams were creatively playmaking for us in the middle.

Well pleased with that.

Purrington did ok as did everybody else,only thing missing was the goals first half,loads of chances throughout the game could have had double figures,some people are never happy,we sit nicely in the league ,now for Blackburn.

Writing this in two parts because I keep getting cut off...
    Millers match stats from the BBC:
    57% possesion
    15 shots
    9 on target
    Are you watching, Alan Stubbs?

How come we can never score more than 5? Is it a fitness issue?
    (On behalf of Kempo)

Wsaid last year judge Warney this year, if we can take this form away and tighten from set pieces we will finish top four.

Great to watch this kind of football, wide players involved all the time. It's great to see the name Moore on the scoresheet again, if we could add a Townes and a seasman....well

Expect playoffs folks at least

Negatives first...
    Missed lots of sitters first half - Frecks should have had another hat trick
    Final ball from Taylor was awful almost every time
    Sloppy goal conceded from a corner again
    Purrington looked vunerable at times
    Keeper punching too much.

Positives...
    Millers dominated the game (see stats)
    Oldham's defence couldn't cope with Moore, Williams and Taylor (luckily for them, final cross/shot from Taylor was usually woeful)
    Millers always looked capable of scoring
    Warne sustittuted Taylor before it was too late in the game (Well done!)
    Towards the end of the game Williams and Newell were running the Oldham defence ragged AND cleverly setting up goalscoring chances for others.
    A Pig's fan has just been on Radio DeeDah. He was at our match because t'Pigs don't play until tomorrow. He said that a fair score would have been about 9-3, which actually is about right.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 23-09-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Great last 20 minutes, we keep banging em in at home at the moment, despite Keiffer 70% fit and no Ball or Proctor at moment, up front.
    Even at 3-1 I was a still a bit worried with our defence.
    If we are to be top 6, we will have to start taking points off top 8 teams though

I go on what I see. Williams best game he's had for us. Newell got to play tues' after that. Vaulks did ok but if Cummings is fit would switch Vaulks to midfield in place of Frecks or Towell. Potter does the dirty work impressively. If we are going to progress need O'Donnell back in goal. New keeper don't like his style of keeping at all. Ajayi back for Wood who got away with it in the 1st half today. Ajayi see if he's learnt from his mistakes from the earlier games this season. Still prefer Mattock at left back. Purrington weren't that bad depends if Warney thinks he can get better with games. Can't fault the home games for entertainment. Anybody not going, get down to the New York. See for yourself.

What I've said in the past. Taylor can't play on the left. Williams Casper64Frank you are right can. But Williams & Newell have got the shirts after today. It's up to them to keep them.
    Last edited by gwru; 23-09-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Why was vaulks marking Davies (no9) at the corners, he was found out a few times including their goal. Woods looked very poor today for someone with experience, he was well and truly outplayed by Davies. Until the 2nd goal, it was tight and Moore needed support.

gwru if it ain't broke don't fix it,start at Rovers with same eleven,some of your points are valid and worth considering,but don't change it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast