+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Votes, scores and first past the post predictions 12.12.2019

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    FPTP generally gives you a government that has the power to introduce their policies. PR doesn’t. In countries where PR is the electoral system, you end up with indecision and wishy-washy compromise.
    Fu*cking hell, I realise you live on the other side of the world but I wasn't aware that the internet was that slow! Do you realise exactly how low we have sunk over here? If anyone had asked you to summarise in very few words just how pathetic the situation has become since the vote in June 2016 then "indecision and wishy-washy compromise" would be very hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    Do you live in a country where the Greens have any say in Government? I do. The man thing they will be remembered for here is introducing a referendum to legalise Cannabis use, while increasing the mental health budget exponentially. The biggest user of international travel is the Minister for Climate Change, who did double the international travel in 2018 of the next minister. The Minister for Climate Change is also the leader of the Green Party. Hypocrites! If you think they will have any impact on saving the planet, you’ll probably be getting up Christmas Day morning, excited to see what Santa Claus has left you.
    So what are you saying? That any Green party vote is wasted and we should allow the destruction of the planet to go unchallenged?

If you insist that climate change isn't happening, or you have a better solution I'd love to hear it.

Apologies if this has been posted before but found a Channel4 article online that showed how the 2017 election would have looked with the PR options as well as FPTP.

Name:  B6A3C9FC-8446-4F32-8917-4AE304BD2C41.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  11.0 KB

Taken from the article;

It’s important to remember that these are only estimates. It’s impossible to know exactly how voting behaviour might change if the UK switched to proportional voting – or how parties might alter their campaign tactics.
    However, it gives us an idea of what the political map may look under proportional representation.
    It suggests that the current FPTP system is only beneficial for the SNP and Conservatives, who would both lose out if the voting system was changed. Plaid Cymru would not stand to gain from a change either.
    But the other parties would all benefit from switching to a version of proportional representation because second preferences now become relevant.
    However, the different types of proportional representation are better for different parties, which perhaps makes it more unlikely that they would ever agree on a new system.
    The Lib Dems, the Green Party and Ukip would all fare best under AMS. But this would actually be worse for Labour than the current method.
    However, under STV – the version generally regarded as the most representative proportional voting system – Labour would have won more seats than any other party.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    So what are you saying? That any Green party vote is wasted and we should allow the destruction of the planet to go unchallenged?

If you insist that climate change isn't happening, or you have a better solution I'd love to hear it.
    I don't think the poster is saying climate change isn't happening but the people preaching it in NZ are a bunch of hypocrites. A bit like our luvvies over here who fly in on their private jets and then get into a diesel 4 by 4 to join a protest.

Using The Electoral Calculus online we can now get a seat prediction based on the national level of support derived from opinion polls.

So to give this a whirl the latest poll info published by the BBC from 6th November looks like this;

Name:  E7CFCF09-063B-42AC-8CA1-BD3B11B478C9.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  17.5 KB

Based on those figures this would translate to a large majority win for the Conservatives as detailed below;

Name:  B35C5F35-BDA7-4A66-A891-F0730D51DA9B.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  34.0 KB

This appears to be a decent prediction tool and it also shows you where you might see seats gained and lost based on national votes. For those interested in having a go themselves here is the link https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/userpoll.html

OK so probably getting on everyone's t1ts now but two charts I will now stick with as the polls come in.

First one is average national voting intention by percentage of vote share and the other is predicted seats based on the vote share.

Hopefully this will provide us with an ongoing visual of how campaigning and other 'events' impact on the electorate and potential results.

It will also be interesting to compare the very last polls to seats actually won when it comes to it.

Name:  averagevotes_Nov9.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  31.8 KB

Name:  predictedseats_Nov9.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  40.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    OK so probably getting on everyone's t1ts now but two charts I will now stick with as the polls come in.

First one is average national voting intention by percentage of vote share and the other is predicted seats based on the vote share.

Hopefully this will provide us with an ongoing visual of how campaigning and other 'events' impact on the electorate and potential results.

It will also be interesting to compare the very last polls to seats actually won when it comes to it.

Name:  averagevotes_Nov9.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  31.8 KB

Name:  predictedseats_Nov9.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  40.5 KB

Blimey - I wish Notts played in blue and that was your league chart!!

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I don't think the poster is saying climate change isn't happening but the people preaching it in NZ are a bunch of hypocrites. A bit like our luvvies over here who fly in on their private jets and then get into a diesel 4 by 4 to join a protest.
    Replaying to Elite_Pie below.........

There is a saying in NZ invented by a Labour MP about how certain people with too much time on their hands were looking for causes to feel bad about. The MP was referring to a branch of the NZ population who felt bad for what had been done to Maori nearly 200 years ago and they felt that, like Paul Bettany's character in The Da Vinci Code Silas, they should keep punishing themselves (and others) for historical transgressions. The term given by the Labour MP was 'White middle-class guilt'.

I feel that the Greens play on the same feelings worldwide, by telling everybody the world is going to come to an end and the only solution is to follow them and their doctrines. Their only solution is to invent punitive taxes, which they impose on the general public, mainly those who can't afford to pay them and then squander the money raised on their crazy ideas.

Honestly, hands up, do you recycle Elite and if you do, can you swear, hand on heart that you know what you do is making a difference and exactly what happens to your recycling?

Did you know that in NZ the price of glass and recyclable plastic dropped so low that it was not financially viable to recycle, so the recycling companies stored the glass and plastic 'in the ground' until the price rose again!
    Last edited by Lullapie; 12-11-2019 at 02:00 AM.

Fu*cking hell, I realise you live on the other side of the world but I wasn't aware that the internet was that slow! Do you realise exactly how low we have sunk over here? If anyone had asked you to summarise in very few words just how pathetic the situation has become since the vote in June 2016 then "indecision and wishy-washy compromise" would be very hard to beat.
    That is because the Tories don't have a working majority. Did you miss the rest of my comments on PR or does your dial up only download part of the message?

Yes, I AM saying that any Green Party vote is wasted in a country without PR. Just like voting for the Monster Raving Loony Party - hang on, you never see the both parties in the same room at the same time, am I onto something?

Did I say climate change wasn't happening? I must have missed that bit too. It's like saying just because you are Labourite, you love Corbyn. I didn't say it wasn't happening, but I don't know enough to know the exact cause - probably a bit yourself, but I'm not afraid to admit I don't know.

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast