+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: National Anthem.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Buc View Post
    My preference would be The Northern Lights of Old Aberdeen
    Devolution and subsidiarity have ground to a halt in Edinburgh though, powers are being increasingly centralised and services and spending controlled there, as if one size fits all.

During the 79 referendum campaign, we in the Yes for Scotland campaign held a meeting in Banchory, and when someone asked about devolution of powers to the then Grampian Region and Kincardine and Deeside District Council, it was pretty much unanimous that that was what devolution was about, and what its proponents would have liked to have seen.

20 years in, and not a sniff, but without Banffshire's whisky excise revenue...

If Banffshire EVER gets any say in its own affairs and needs an anthem, McPherson's Rant would be my choice. With everybody trained to sing it like Portsoy's own Jimmy McBeath
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV-8...l&index=4&t=0s

For Aberdeen, I prefer Scott Skinner's The Bonnie Lass O Bon Accord (what a minor key interlude!) rather than The Northern Lights, where the range makes it difficult to sing, as everybody tries to sing it in too high a key. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_auPYJq6R4 Imagine Mk II Deep Purple taking that on.

Flooers O The Forest is Scotland's blues, but pipers only ever play it at funerals or remembrance occasions. It would set a precedent playing an anthem after we've got gubbed by Haiti, though.

Quote Originally Posted by StandfreeFM View Post
    I presumed this was just Stewarty's sneaky way of getting another thread about independence mk2 when there is already a perfectly good thread for that.

Vintage, get your keys, I reckon we have a thread that needs locked...
    Oh Aye say !!!

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Italians are nae usually known for their lack of words.

Good anthem though, even if it does sound like two different tunes stuck together.
    Aye it starts aff one thing then you hit the da da de-da...... bit near half way.
    Cool as.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Devolution and subsidiarity have ground to a halt in Edinburgh though, powers are being increasingly centralised and services and spending controlled there, as if one size fits all.

During the 79 referendum campaign, we in the Yes for Scotland campaign held a meeting in Banchory, and when someone asked about devolution of powers to the then Grampian Region and Kincardine and Deeside District Council, it was pretty much unanimous that that was what devolution was about, and what its proponents would have liked to have seen.

20 years in, and not a sniff, but without Banffshire's whisky excise revenue...

If Banffshire EVER gets any say in its own affairs and needs an anthem, McPherson's Rant would be my choice. With everybody trained to sing it like Portsoy's own Jimmy McBeath
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV-8...l&index=4&t=0s

For Aberdeen, I prefer Scott Skinner's The Bonnie Lass O Bon Accord (what a minor key interlude!) rather than The Northern Lights, where the range makes it difficult to sing, as everybody tries to sing it in too high a key. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_auPYJq6R4 Imagine Mk II Deep Purple taking that on.

Flooers O The Forest is Scotland's blues, but pipers only ever play it at funerals or remembrance occasions. It would set a precedent playing an anthem after we've got gubbed by Haiti, though.
    Are you a musician Vintage ? Bit of an insight there minor key's inat. Ye ken the beggar's cant ?

Quote Originally Posted by inversneckiedob View Post
    that's what you get for popping round and having a cup of coffee and a chat.
    v50

Quote Originally Posted by stewarty27 View Post
    Are you a musician Vintage ? Bit of an insight there minor key's inat. Ye ken the beggar's cant ?
    No, I'm a chancing busking "give it the old 7th fret A string muffled E" dep nowadays.

Enlighten me on the beggar's cant?

I ken the Devil's Interval though. (not just half time at Ibrox).

No, I'm a chancing busking "give it the old 7th fret A string muffled E" dep nowadays.

Enlighten me on the beggar's cant?

I ken the Devil's Interval though. (not just half time at Ibrox).
    Vintage you let me doon I'd thought you would have got that V50 reply old chap.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Buc View Post
    Vintage you let me doon I'd thought you would have got that V50 reply old chap.
    Name:  v 40 cc.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  8.9 KB

It's a V40 Cross Country that's in my driveway. 65 plate, automatic, 40k miles, never raced or rallied.

Eco as **** - £20/annum VED.

Safe too - one of those Maseratis could have your eye out. Careful now.

Name:  v 40 cc.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  8.9 KB

It's a V40 Cross Country that's in my driveway. 65 plate, automatic, 40k miles, never raced or rallied.

Eco as **** - £20/annum VED.

Safe too - one of those Maseratis could have your eye out. Careful now.
    V50 was Jack Wilson's car reg known throughout the city during the early 70s.
    Last edited by Disco Buc; 14-08-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast