+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT knee replacement surgery

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    If i could afford to go private I would, but these operations cost in the region of £15k apparently, that might not be much to some but its beyond my means. Tbh up to now I've been under rheumatology and orthopaedics at Rotherham hospital for the last 10 years and I don't have a bad word to say about anything. The level of care and treatment I've received has been fantastic.
    It’s a minimum of £12k for a knee op hazza. That’s out of my price range as well so I’m waiting to go on the waiting list.
    I was told I wouldn’t be able to drive for two months.
    Timbertop has it about right, it’s the amount of effort you put into the physio after the op.
    Never had a problem with NHS Physio treatment or the hydrotherapy pool on Badsley Moor Lane.
    Treatment at Rotherham District Hospital has also been excellent as well.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by CASPER-64-FRANK; 30-09-2019 at 02:07 AM.

Cheers Casper and everyone else for the good will. If I have one criticism of my experience with the NHS it is that this operation should have been done and dusted last year. Around 18 months ago I was having horrendous problems with my left knee, awful pain and swelling which was happening more frequently. So the decision was made by the consultant surgeon to replace the knee.

Once you're on the waiting list it shouldn't be more than 14 weeks before they operate. I had my pre op assessment which flagged up sleep apnoea, which I had no idea I had, but that delayed everything as I had to partake sleep studies. The process of waiting for appointments with this department, getting issued with treatment (CPAP machine in my case) then waiting for results and further consultation was long and drawn out. So much so that I disappeared off the waiting list for the knee op without knowing, without anyone knowing.
    I brought it up with my rheumatology consultant earlier this year (Dr Fawthrop. she is brilliant BTW) and she instantly got the ball rolling again.

So Casper, if you have to undergo sleep studies when you get on the waiting list, my tip to you is don't let orthopaedics lose track of you. And make sure the sleep studies department pass on your results to the appropriate departments as soon as they can.
    Also I've been told 3 to 6 weeks before you can drive, depending on your movement and recovery. Good luck pal.

When I was rehabilitating from my ankle fussion there were many who had had the knee replacement op and they were all recovering with different levels of discomfort.

I would recommend that you get a Tens machine on hire from Boots if they do other than for maternity if not buy one on line to help with the pain releif , a hot water bottle and a gel sack that you can freeze. The physios will tell you where to place what where to help with the comfort but the main thing is to get it bent fully as quickly as possible. It'll probably take 8 weeks or so before you can but it'll be worth it. The ones at the clinic I went to who put the effort in got the best results.

When the bone is cut and replaced with the metal parts then that's there's nowt you can do to for that part of the op and it'll heal by itself and take your weight pretty much straight away after the op. The tendons will contract and the muscles will waste and that's what you have to work on.

Good luck with it Gazza you'll be grand in 3 months.

I know knees are more complicated than hips but my Mrs had her hip done in Rotherham in May and is brilliant now, can't praise the hospital and surgeon enough. We did look at private option but again 15K is a lot of money, and the private surgeon told us the op would be just the same you just get it done sooner. Also as others have said the key is exercise after and listen to physios.

I don't know anything about knee replacements, but good luck with it all

Hazza you must carry on with exercise after your op,do what they tell you & you will be fine.Im sorry to say it’s painful but the recovery rates good.I It’s painful watching the Millers at times but you keep going.Good luck mate.
    Last edited by Lolmorgan; 30-09-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    The disgustingly boring game against Shrewsbury last week will be my last for a while as next Friday I am having knee replacement surgery. It's not really something I expected at 40 years old, although I've suffered with rheumatoid arthritis since I was 30 after a bone fracture triggered the disease which runs in my family.

Has anybody on here (cos everyone is reyt old) had this surgery? I know a couple of blokes who have had new knees and one of them has had no problems at all, the other had to have three further replacements in the same knee in the space of 8 years and eventually had his lower leg amputated. So mixed results!

Im just wondering what to expect and how long realistically it will be before I can get back into things and most importantly how many matches I'm going to miss.
    I had a full knee replacement 5 years ago and it's been brilliant ever since. I had it done on a Friday and came out of hospital on the Monday. The first 2 or 3 weeks are the worst, especially trying to sleep but eventually it starts to settle down and I was back driving my car after 6 weeks and back at work after 11 weeks. As for watching football, you might find it uncomfortable trying to sit for a while as my knee did ache so if you can stretch the leg out it would be better.

Thanks Ronners, that's encouraging to hear. I already struggle with bending my left knee so despite the decent leg room at NYS it's still just not quite enough unless the seat next to me is empty then I can stretch it.
    How long were you on crutches mate?

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    Hazza you must carry on with exercise after your op,do what they tell you & you will be fine.Im sorry to say it’s painful but the recovery rates good.I It’s painful watching the Millers at times but you keep going.Good luck mate.
    Cheers Lolmorgan, the surgeon has said it'll be tough, there'll be times I wish I hadn't bothered etc but after the first couple of months things should improve. I'll do as I'm told, I'm used to doing that at home anyway 😏

Good luck with this Hazza. Ive got many mates that have had the op with great success. The key is the rehab (as people have said). Almost a case of not worth going through the pain of the op if you dont do the rehab work.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast