+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Adama Traore

Adama Traore

Adama has been named PFA player of the month for January. All the coaching and listening has paid off.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    Adama has been named PFA player of the month for January. All the coaching and listening has paid off.
    Am pleased for him, but I still find him a very frustrating player. If you line up his goals/Assists along side the really poor decisions he makes in the last third they probably cancel each other out. Another thing that frustrates me is the number of times he takes the ball at a stand instead of positioning himself to take it in his stride and so take full advantage of his speed. However having said that he is still a valuable asset to the side. As we have seen just him being on the field causes the opposition into a limiting, for them, tactical change.

I just hope he doesn't get caught up in all the media hype that he is starting to attract, he seems like a fairly level headed young man though, but still there are some subtle operators out there. When managers like Pep and Klopp describe him as "unstoppable" when he gets on the ball they wouldn't be trying to encourage him to dribble into dead ends would they!?

Nuno has done a great job to make him as effective as he is and like I said he is a valuable asset but possibly this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post
    Am pleased for him, but I still find him a very frustrating player. If you line up his goals/Assists along side the really poor decisions he makes in the last third they probably cancel each other out. Another thing that frustrates me is the number of times he takes the ball at a stand instead of positioning himself to take it in his stride and so take full advantage of his speed. However having said that he is still a valuable asset to the side. As we have seen just him being on the field causes the opposition into a limiting, for them, tactical change.

I just hope he doesn't get caught up in all the media hype that he is starting to attract, he seems like a fairly level headed young man though, but still there are some subtle operators out there. When managers like Pep and Klopp describe him as "unstoppable" when he gets on the ball they wouldn't be trying to encourage him to dribble into dead ends would they!?

Nuno has done a great job to make him as effective as he is and like I said he is a valuable asset but possibly this is as good as it gets?
    I think he makes his fair share of mistakes. No more or less than a normal player. The difference is he's in the position to make these mistakes more than anyone. He creates opportunities for himself and others more than most players. So while it's frustrating at times, I think it's mostly due to the volume of opportunities he creates.

I'd rather have a player that is only 50% successful on crosses if he's crossing the ball 10 times a game (50%=5 good crosses) than have a player with a 75% success rate that creates 4 opportunities to do so in a game (75% = 3 good crosses). Unless you have a way to create more opportunities to cross the ball for the latter player, the former is the better choice.

This is just an elementary analysis as I don't know the actual figures. I know he has more successful take ons than any player in Europe's top 5 leagues. So he's creating a ton of chances to succeed or mess up and the sheer volume theoretically outweighs the times he messes up.

One of his greatest strengths Woody is his speed away from a standing start. If players are moving with him they have more of a chance of stopping him, however, from a standing start they have no chance, Jarvis had that ability to stop the ball and suddenly move away. As Linford Christie would say "You go on the B of the Bang".

Club/Teams, now know what to expect from him, but the only way to stop him is to take turns at committing a foul against him. Even Kane fetched him down and Mings at the villa assaulted him. It often takes two or three to mark him, thus leaving some of our players free. I do wish that we would leave him up on the centre circle when we are defending corners, it would need several opponents to stay back with him.

Can't really argue with the points made above. I'm just concerned that he will get hyped up way beyond his talent level and it will affect the clubs view of him and his own performances. He has his own thread on the Man Utd board where some one, a Utd, supporter, compared him to Aaron Robben! OK the guy got shot down, by most, but you can see where it can go.

With regard to his speed from a standing start. That's good when the play is compressed and tight deep in the opponents half but at times he takes the ball at a stand, wide, close to the half way line with one defender in front of him and a big open space behind waiting to be exploited, positioning himself to take the ball on the run would give him a much better opportunity to make something happen instead of knocking it inside or back which often happens. Hopefully someone is taking time to coach him regarding his off ball movement because it could take him to another level.

A very useful player and a great asset to the club, but still a way to go before being rated with te very best.

Adama's dislocated his shoulder twice this season now, most recently in the game against Spurs. Sounds like both incidents were partial dislocations, can't imagine he would have continued with a full dislocation!!! He's in contention for tomorrow but long term a bit of a worry, sounds like he may need surgery at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwolf View Post
    Adama's dislocated his shoulder twice this season now, most recently in the game against Spurs. Sounds like both incidents were partial dislocations, can't imagine he would have continued with a full dislocation!!! He's in contention for tomorrow but long term a bit of a worry, sounds like he may need surgery at some point?
    Maybe it is related to his "bulking up"? Either way I hope it works out OK.

My biggest concern with Traore is that all the publicity he's attracting puts him more prominently in the shop window. Mind you I'm sure that the football scouts don't need to read the Daily Mail or the BBC !!!!!

Some interesting, valid, comments, lads. and there is certainly much to consider when we speak of the phenomenon that is Traore. I keep remembering how often he was able to get in behind Van Dyk when we played against Liverpool recently.....(like no other player has been able to do, so far this season). IMO, handled correctly, this lad is capable of going far. I dread the day when we lose him to Barcelona or some other club with a lot of money and sadly I don't think that day will be long in coming.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)