+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barnsley vs Derby

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    I see Acido is back with his silliness.
    Damn them Tykes.
    Lolz
    Acido is always to be found here when times are high in 'Kes' land. In this case, a slightly fortuitous victory over our second XI.

Thrashed at Wemberlee for him next.
    (Although we might suffer the same fate in London as well)

I see Acido is back with his silliness. Damn them Tykes. Lolz
    What do you mean Im 'back', I never went away lol. And seriously kid, even if we'd lost I would still have carried on posting on here regardless.

Thrashed at Wemberlee for him next. (Although we might suffer the same fate in London as well)
    Is that 'we' as in Notts Florist kid, or 'we' as in whoever your latest 2nd favourite team are. I hear Alfreton are doing well, and the fatty at at Mansfield is always asking for local support.

A competition is a competition, either we enter them with the aim of winning or at least progressing as far as we can or its just a waste of time for all concerned - I'm sure Swindon Town remember their league Cup win with pride and if bigger sides field second string teams then surely that evens it up and gives the lesser teams a sporting chance?

If not then whats the point? Yes rotation but changing the whole team is just bonkers, if it happens in the FA Cup then I will be very miffed - if a team can get fined for not fielding their strongest team in the league then the same rules should apply to cup competitions IMO.

As for we are not likely to win it so it does not matter, well are we likely to win the championship? If not does that matter as long as we avoid relegation?

The domestic cup competitions have suffered massively since the introduction of the PL and Sky TV. Season by season the magic of the cups has slowly ebbed away.

Add to that the prize of promotion from the Championship and it becomes apparent why teams don't take them so seriously anymore.

Purists will argue and rightly so, however in my opinion we are more likely of losing the League Cup before it gets taken seriously again.

The times they are a changing...

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteram View Post
    A competition is a competition, either we enter them with the aim of winning or at least progressing as far as we can or its just a waste of time for all concerned - I'm sure Swindon Town remember their league Cup win with pride and if bigger sides field second string teams then surely that evens it up and gives the lesser teams a sporting chance?

If not then whats the point? Yes rotation but changing the whole team is just bonkers, if it happens in the FA Cup then I will be very miffed - if a team can get fined for not fielding their strongest team in the league then the same rules should apply to cup competitions IMO.

As for we are not likely to win it so it does not matter, well are we likely to win the championship? If not does that matter as long as we avoid relegation?
    Take your point but can't agree Whiteram. Swindon's victory was surely too long ago to be relevant and while not fielding your strongest side in the league actually has a bearing on other clubs, you're only letting your own chances down if you opt for a weakened side in a Cup competition.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Take your point but can't agree Whiteram. Swindon's victory was surely too long ago to be relevant and while not fielding your strongest side in the league actually has a bearing on other clubs, you're only letting your own chances down if you opt for a weakened side in a Cup competition.

I think you miss the point, what happened to the integrity of the sport, the competition? I don't think time has a bearing on winning a trophy after all winning the prem will live long in the memories of Fester fans, even if they never do it again its there in history forever and surely history is the foundation upon what a clubs built on?

A club is short changing its fans if it does not take seriously any competition it is playing in, I get the need to "rest" players, i mean poor darlings fancy having to play football more than once a week.

Oh well fans dont care so clubs dont care, what is the bleeding point, lets just focus on being mid table championship material which is what we are.

Well I was gutted we lost, why play in a competition and play a second string of players because you don't want the poor buggers to get injured or knackered. If I'm paying good money to support and watch my team I think the best the club can do is put out it's best team and go all out to try and win the match. Why have cup competitions if no one is interested in it! It wouldn't be so bad if football clubs made all cup tickets free if you're a season ticket holder but no they want you to hand over money while they're not one bit bothered about competing in the competition. Once again the supporters are being shafted!!!

It seems you and I are in the minority MOP, I remember when cup competitions were a welcome distraction from the "humdrum" of the league a chance to play a different team and a real chance of winning a trophy, but now they are just that a distraction it seems from the endless toil to reached the promised land and then tediously strive to be a mid table Prem team If they get there.

I guess its a sign of the times, football as a sport becomes less and less interesting and the fans are left wondering why they bother.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)