+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gable Endies v Doonhamers: Irn Bru Challenge Cup 3rd Round

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Aye , great stuff Albertz. I enjoyed that wee clip.
    No problem

Quote Originally Posted by ALBERTZ_11 View Post
    https://youtu.be/D595MjQht-0

Quick early video from Lewis Donald. Dobbie's Double is captured.
    Thanks for posting this link Albertz.

Happy to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresswell View Post
    Much of what you say is correct, Admin. Queens dominated possession and Fleming was, indeed, man of the match with several excellent saves but let us put this in perspective. This was a poor, full-time Championship team against a plucky, part-time Second Division team and it was only when they ran out of steam that we clawed our way back into the game. Do not be fooled by the score. We came within three minutes of going out and within the width of the bar from going 1-2 down in extra time. The two best players on the park were Fleming, Montroses's goalkeeper, and Sean Dillon who was head and shoulders better than anybody we have in defence. We should get down on our knees every night and thank God for Stephen Dobbie. Despite a relatively quiet game he still managed two goals and kept us in it during the ninety minutes. Despite all our possession, this was a game of huff and puff, kick and rush. Our mid-field was as creative as an extinct dodo. I agree that we should not expect Champions' League standards from a Championship team but we should expect, nay demand, better than the rubbish we saw today.
    Finally, I acknowledge that it was not a big attendance but I wonder how it compares on a pro rata basis with attendances at Palmerston.
    A bit harsh Doomeister - I think we are an average side in a Championship thst has dipped a bit in quality this saeson - We have been a bit unlucky in recent league games - Morton(We lost to a wonder strike which on most days would have landed in Terregles Street) - St Mirren(We lost with a blunder by our goalie being a contributing factor) - Inverness (Salvaged a point against a team who had no intention of winning the game)

I am of the opinion we will be back in the mix if we beat the Pars on Saturday who will be rattled after their defeat at the Falkirk Stadium.

We will be in with a shout for the playoffs but I have a gut feeling we don't have the quality in our fragile midfield to progress any further. Naysmith is hoping the ageing Dobbie and McFadden can come up with the goods but I have my doubts.

I have done some research on the comparison of Palmy and Links Park crowds so far this season - Palmy average 1361 - Links Park 451
    Last edited by QOS_MAD_ADMIN; 08-10-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Admin, I just thought that your comments about the home support were extremely harsh. It is indisputable that attendances at IrnBru ties generally do not match league attendances - just look at the other attendances yesterday. The official attendance at Montrose was 534 (in this case, a bit above the average that you quote) but there is no knowing what proportion was home support and what proportion was away support. There was no segregation: neither at the turnstiles nor in the ground itself. Using official figures (i.e. the 2011 census which is the most recent) the population of Dumfries was 49221 whereas the population of Montrose was 11955. Using these figures and your averages (rather than yesterday's actual attendance) only 1 in 36 of the population of Dumfries attends at Palmerston whereas 1 in 26 of the population of Montrose attends at Links Park. On that basis, the charge of a "piss poor home support" would seem to be more appropriately laid at the door of Queen of the South rather than at the door of Montrose. It is not advisable for people in glass houses to throw stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresswell View Post
    Much of what you say is correct, Admin. Queens dominated possession and Fleming was, indeed, man of the match with several excellent saves but let us put this in perspective. This was a poor, full-time Championship team against a plucky, part-time Second Division team and it was only when they ran out of steam that we clawed our way back into the game. Do not be fooled by the score. We came within three minutes of going out and within the width of the bar from going 1-2 down in extra time. The two best players on the park were Fleming, Montroses's goalkeeper, and Sean Dillon who was head and shoulders better than anybody we have in defence. We should get down on our knees every night and thank God for Stephen Dobbie. Despite a relatively quiet game he still managed two goals and kept us in it during the ninety minutes. Despite all our possession, this was a game of huff and puff, kick and rush. Our mid-field was as creative as an extinct dodo. I agree that we should not expect Champions' League standards from a Championship team but we should expect, nay demand, better than the rubbish we saw today.
    Finally, I acknowledge that it was not a big attendance but I wonder how it compares on a pro rata basis with attendances at Palmerston.
    A fair and correct post Cresswell.
    But QOS were very very poor, once Dobbie levelled the tie in the 87th minute I was more concerned about having to endure another 30 minutes of garbage rather than going through to the QFs.
    In extra time there was only going to be one winner but Montrose can feel a tad unlucky to be out.
    Keeper and Dillon were best players on the park.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSKY View Post
    A fair and correct post Cresswell.
    But QOS were very very poor, once Dobbie levelled the tie in the 87th minute I was more concerned about having to endure another 30 minutes of garbage rather than going through to the QFs.
    In extra time there was only going to be one winner but Montrose can feel a tad unlucky to be out.
    Keeper and Dillon were best players on the park.
    Agree with your analysis re the first half but personally thought we improved as the game went on and I thought we were playing some decent stuff by mid way into the second half.

Agree with both cresswell and muskys' thoughts in what was mainly a turgid performance from Queens.First half dismal,but picked up with the introduction of Dykes(surprisingly!)Queens still struggled to get a real hold on the game despite gaining the bulk of possession.Extra time though Queens had a much better time of it without ever being great.Dobbies' final minute goal almost apologetically trundling over the line must have been a sickener for Montrose after their plucky and gutsy performance.Note to manager.....check their keeper out,he was outstanding even though he looked like a throwback from the 70's��
    Last edited by Bagapapa; 08-10-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Any population stats I have seen are Dumfries town 32,000 and Locharbriggs / Heathhall 7,000.I can put up links if needed

On another note...Rooney....to Loony!Last week the big fella played a blinder up on the Moray Firth.A performance well deserving of the Travel Club Man of the match award.Yesterday......ooft!Hopeless big bumbling donkey.This guy is already becoming a bit of a cult (correct spelling��)figure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)