+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting rule in the La Liga play-offs

Interesting rule in the La Liga play-offs

As you may already know, the Spanish football league has a similar play-off system as the English one, but I didn't realise until I watched one of the play-off matches the other day that they have a different rule if the match ends in a draw over two legs.

The English play-offs see drawn matches decided on penalties, which never seems a satisfactory way to decide a team's entire season. In Spain though, if it's a draw on aggregate, the team that finished highest in the regular season is declared the winner. To me, that seems a much fairer and better system.

Anybody else agree?

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    As you may already know, the Spanish football league has a similar play-off system as the English one, but I didn't realise until I watched one of the play-off matches the other day that they have a different rule if the match ends in a draw over two legs.

The English play-offs see drawn matches decided on penalties, which never seems a satisfactory way to decide a team's entire season. In Spain though, if it's a draw on aggregate, the team that finished highest in the regular season is declared the winner. To me, that seems a much fairer and better system.

Anybody else agree?
    Yep, if you finished higher than your opponent just park the bus!

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Yep, if you finished higher than your opponent just park the bus!
    That would be the potential downside, although I've not seen any evidence of it happening in the games I've seen. The semi-finals between Albacete and Mallorca, and Deportivo La Coruna and Malaga were all good ties with both teams playing to win.

They do it in Serie B in Italy too and yep it is a good rule.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

Anybody else agree?
    Yes a whole season should never come down to one penalty !

Won’t affect Notts though, they don’t have two leg playoffs in National League

Quote Originally Posted by 2piesonmyshirt View Post
    Won’t affect Notts though, they don’t have two leg playoffs in National League
    Looks like we don't have a leg to stand on then

Yeah I like it.

My mate has currently been saying that English football should introduce 0 points for each team for a 0-0 draw.....another good rule I reck. Will stop all these horribly defensive teams and make stuff more exciting.

A point for every goal scored

I agree that penalties is a cruel way to settle a game, let alone a season. Then again, penalty shootouts bring a level of tension and despair/joy that makes football what it is. The heartbreaking shootouts that I've watched remained etched in my memory, as do the ones we've won. All of them seem pretty epic, looking back.

Speaking of different rules, in the Czech Republic, the division is split into a mini leagues for the last part of the season. So all championship contenders play each other once, as do all relegation contenders. Points continue on from the main portion of the season though. Also, the team finishing just above the 'automatic' relegation spot plays a playoff against a team finishing just below the automatic promotion spot in the division below - a sort of cross-divisional playoff.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 21-06-2019 at 03:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast