+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T

O/T

I've just got back to the site after a couple of years. I don't see any other topics - have they been moved/banned? If so, great shame as I used to enjoy reading a bit about other fans trips, lifestyles etc. After all, we're all over the world - I'm in South Africa. Can someone throw some light on the subject, please? Thanks and once a Wolf, always in the pack (in my case, 60 years)

Hiya Delboy! Great to see you posting again. Unfortunately a lot of vibrancy has been lost from the board, as with many others in the Footymad system. It gets a bit livelier on game day but there is no doubt we have lost some valuable posters. The O/T posts seem to have gone out of fashion however I am always ready to take the plunge if there is someone else out there ready to contribute. Hint!

I worked on a project many years ago, in the 70s, in Newcastle S.A. Different country then. Where abouts do you live?. I live close to Houston Texas, came here from the West Midlands [Coseley] around 35 years ago, although I grew up in Wolverhampton. Watched my first game in 1955 and been hooked since!

Hi Woody,
    Nice to see your post. I was born in Warley, about half an hour's ride from the ground (fit in those days!). We might have been at the same game in 1955! I can't remember but it might have been San Lorenzo (or not,too much beer and good living to remember it all)
    Live just outside Jo'burg. Left the UK when we got married in Sept 1971, 2 years in Australia (Sydney, great place) and been here since except for a couple of years back in Birmingham (far too cold for all the family - blood gets thinner in the heat)
    Been through Newcastle but as you say things have changed, mostly for the better since 1994 but if we could could get rid of the politicians, it could be a lot better.
    I'll think of something else to talk about but as you said hint!

I was wrong. First game Dec. 54. Honved at under floodlights. We won 3-2. UTW

Quote Originally Posted by XDelboy12 View Post
    I was wrong. First game Dec. 54. Honved at under floodlights. We won 3-2. UTW
    My first game was a league game, can't remember who, far two much water under the bridge. On the night of the Honved game we stayed up late, for kids, playing football on waste ground in front of the house in Bushbury. Could tell when we scored and who won by the roars of the crowd a good three miles away. Great days.

Went to most of the home games (on the bike) but when my father died, I met an uncle at the funeral in'96 who I rarely saw and discovered he was a fan.
    I was a bit put out when he said he went to most of the games I did AND he lived fairly close to me AND he had a car at the time And when we discussed the ground found out that we stood in the same positions for most games - about thirty feet apart. That is why I can't stand family feuds at all.

Quote Originally Posted by XDelboy12 View Post
    Went to most of the home games (on the bike) but when my father died, I met an uncle at the funeral in'96 who I rarely saw and discovered he was a fan.
    I was a bit put out when he said he went to most of the games I did AND he lived fairly close to me AND he had a car at the time And when we discussed the ground found out that we stood in the same positions for most games - about thirty feet apart. That is why I can't stand family feuds at all.
    As we say in the US, "what a bummer"!

Hi Delboy. I miss the old board too and OT posts too, although probably as many didn't as did. For me the loss of Tundra took some of the sparkle out of those discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Robus View Post
    Hi Delboy. I miss the old board too and OT posts too, although probably as many didn't as did. For me the loss of Tundra took some of the sparkle out of those discussions.
    Hey Robus, glad to see you are still around. Agree about Tundra, although to me he did come across as a bit overly self opinionated at times by all accounts he was a decent guy and the board certainly lost something when we lost him.

Woody, I can tell you that Tundra was a modest, unassuming and thoroughly likeable man. I spent enough time with him to know that he certainly was not self-opinionated. He was very much the voice of reason, sadly very much in the minority in those days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)