+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Derek Lyle

Surely with the news confirming that Kane, as well as Kerr, is returning to St Johnstone this very much improves the chances of Lyle starting games in the second half of the season and further emphasises precisely why we need his continuing service with a depleted squad. As far as I can see the ball is very much in his court especially with this being his last season as well as his testimonial year. Come on Del see some sense over this!!!

For me , out of those currently not starting , the most deserving is Stirling . More than Del or anyone else , I would be starting Stirling over Dykes . In saying that , I'm not ruling Lyndon out, just as I see it at this moment in time.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 11-01-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthhurts View Post
    Derek Lyle has to stay to have the opportunity to become Queens 2nd all-time goalscorer. In his testimonial season, he should be given red carpet treatment by our club;anything less is an embarrassment. He deserves this at the very least.

GN's comments only reiterate what Del-boy told the sun.
    Maybe I`m misunderstanding your point here. Are you saying that Del should have special treatment? The ball is firmly in his court if he wants to stay. That much is crystal clear.
    Del wants to play 1st team football at this stage of his career. GN isn`t in a position to guarantee him regular starts. What is he meant to do start him regularly just because he is a club legend?
    It`s perfectly reasonable for the club to say to Del if he wants to start every week then he can explore options with other teams but that is absolutely not the same as saying he isn`t part of GN`s plans, it`s just being honest to a senior pro. Del absolutely has the option to stay, fight for his place and get goals for the team whether that be as an impact sub or a starter.
    I love Del and as you suggest he is a QOS legend but I`m actually disappointed that he chose to go to the press with this.
    I think the piece on the OS today clarifies the situation perfectly well. Naysmith has made a number of mistakes in my view. It`s also my view that this episode isn`t one of them.
    Last edited by Dobmeister; 11-01-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobmeister View Post
    I`m sorry but that`s just ridiculous. Del wants to play 1st team football at this stage of his career. GN isn`t in a position to guarantee him regular starts. What is he meant to do start him regularly just because he is a club legend?
    It`s perfectly reasonable for the club to say to Del if he wants to start every week then he can explore options with other teams but that is absolutely not the same as saying he isn`t part of GN`s plans, it`s just being honest to a senior pro. Del absolutely has the option to stay, fight for his place and get goals for the team whether that be as an impact sub or a starter.
    I love Del and as you suggest he is a QOS legend but I`m actually disappointed that he chose to go to the press with this.
    I think the piece on the OS today clarifies the situation perfectly well.
    In a nutshell.

If Lyle could have an impact on the game if started , then he would . He can't now but still has a big part to play from the bench.

I think this statement from Naysmith on the OS clarifies the situation -

This week I explained to Del the role that I saw him playing within the squad for the second half of the season. As I couldn't guarantee him regular starts, I told him that out of respect we would not stand in his way if he wanted to allow himself the chance to play regular football at this stage of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    If Lyle could have an impact on the game if started , then he would . He can't now but still has a big part to play from the bench.
    I understand there not playing in the same position at the moment and that Stirling would fit in well but no1 can say Lyle wouldn't make more of an impact than dykes u could move Robbie to the left and put Lyle through the middle and we'd be in a far better place than with dykes on the park

Quote Originally Posted by QOS_MAD_ADMIN View Post
    I think this statement from Naysmith on the OS clarifies the situation -

This week I explained to Del the role that I saw him playing within the squad for the second half of the season. As I couldn't guarantee him regular starts, I told him that out of respect we would not stand in his way if he wanted to allow himself the chance to play regular football at this stage of his career.
    This conflicts with what appeared in the SUN - who are we to believe ?

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    For me , out of those currently not starting , the most deserving is Stirling . More than Del or anyone else , I would be starting Stirling over Dykes . In saying that , I'm not ruling Lyndon out, just as I see it at this moment in time.
    I recall Lyle, Stirling and Faddy (to a lesser extent) changing the game in Queens favour at Livingston earlier in the season, with Andy and Del scoring sublime goals to get Queens ahead 2-1.

Quote Originally Posted by QOS_MAD_ADMIN View Post
    This conflicts with what appeared in the SUN - who are we to believe ?
    Lol. Indeed.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)