+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving up on something you love

Its a difficult one. Going down the Lane every other week is my opportunity to have a few hours away from current life stresses, my bit of escapism. To walk away from that will be difficult because trying to find a replacement to fill that void will be pretty much impossible. However, there are of course the moral implications of wanting to help fund a man like May and his ilk. I don't think I could do that either. Fingers crossed it won't come to that!

This is a similar thread to the one we had when we signed Lee Hughes.

I don’t really give a monkeys who’s in the boardroom as long as there’s a decent side on the pitch.(not that I think the Alex Whateverhisnameis group will bring any success).

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    This is a similar thread to the one we had when we signed Lee Hughes.

I don’t really give a monkeys who’s in the boardroom as long as there’s a decent side on the pitch.(not that I think the Alex Whateverhisnameis group will bring any success).
    It's not the same thing as Hughes at all. Hughesy had done his time, and his crime was unrelated to football. If the Mirror report is correct, May was convicted for 10 years in 2014 - that means he must be out on licence, and as it was a business related fraud, surely he must be banned from being a director of any business. The equivalent of him being allowed to buy the club, is a convicted child abuser being put in charge of a school. It clearly can't be allowed to happen, and I'm certain the National League won't allow it. Even if Hardy is completely off his marbles, he would be completely crackers to sell to this group. A convicted fraudster offers you £6m or whatever, and the chances of actually getting the money are...?

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieMike View Post
    It's not the same thing as Hughes at all. Hughesy had done his time, and his crime was unrelated to football. If the Mirror report is correct, May was convicted for 10 years in 2014 - that means he must be out on licence, and as it was a business related fraud, surely he must be banned from being a director of any business
    Agreed !

Lee Hughes crime was borne of absolute stupidity with terribly tragic consequences. The difference between him and May is that LH obviously didn't go out with the intention of ending or ruining lives. I'm not condoning his actions for one minute but it is clear it was a dreadful mistake and he has done everything possible since to try and atone for his crime.

Alex May (or whatever his name is) purposely set out to destroy peoples lives for his own gain. He crime was premeditated, calculating and abhorrent.

Ultimately, regardless of the fact LH is the best striker we have seen at this club in the last couple of decades I do wish we hadn't signed him as I felt it sent out the wrong message and I hope we don't end up with an owner(s) like this May bloke and his mates.

It's about time our club put a stake in the ground and showed the rest of the world that we are prepared to change, to be run in a sustainable manner by owners with a clear intention to ensure the longevity and stability the clubs stakeholders are crying out for and not least deserve. I realise this may actually be too much to ask.

It's not the same thing as Hughes at all. Hughesy had done his time, and his crime was unrelated to football. If the Mirror report is correct, May was convicted for 10 years in 2014 - that means he must be out on licence, and as it was a business related fraud, surely he must be banned from being a director of any business. The equivalent of him being allowed to buy the club, is a convicted child abuser being put in charge of a school. It clearly can't be allowed to happen, and I'm certain the National League won't allow it. Even if Hardy is completely off his marbles, he would be completely crackers to sell to this group. A convicted fraudster offers you £6m or whatever, and the chances of actually getting the money are...?
    I didn’t say ‘same’, I said ‘similar’.

‘Hughesy’ was sentenced to 6 years in 2004 and we signed him in 2009. Had he ‘done his time’? Don’t know whether the family of the chap he killed would have agreed.

The point I was trying to make is that football fans, including me, are notorious for forgetting past misdemeanours if there is success on the pitch. Again, I don’t think this group will takeover, and it probably be disastrous if they did.

I could not give a rats arse who takes over, as long as SOMEBODY does

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post
    Agreed !
    Who cares what May has or has not done. As long as he puts money into Notts, and we have good players. I am sick of all this childish behaviour of when somebody has done a crime that they should be punished forever

Notts County are not in a position to be choosy

I do not give a rats arse who takes over the club, as long as somebody does

Otherwise if nobody does, we are pretty much finished anyway

Exactly. Hughes committed a crime, but it was one he did not want or plan to happen. May (or whatever his name is) meticulously planned and implemented a scheme designed to rob old people of their homes and money.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 13-06-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I didn’t say ‘same’, I said ‘similar’.

‘Hughesy’ was sentenced to 6 years in 2004 and we signed him in 2009. Had he ‘done his time’? Don’t know whether the family of the chap he killed would have agreed.

The point I was trying to make is that football fans, including me, are notorious for forgetting past misdemeanours if there is success on the pitch. Again, I don’t think this group will takeover, and it probably be disastrous if they did.
    It isn't similar at all, the conviction for a carefully planned fraud suggests these people are likely to commit fraud again. How would that contribute in any way to their ability to successfully run Notts as a football club?

Hughes, on the other hand, committed an unplanned offence. Maybe he's more likely to do something like that again than most, but it didn't impact on his ability to play football.

OK, the moral point I grant you, but there is something despicable about robbing from pensioners.
    Last edited by Bohinen; 13-06-2019 at 09:06 AM.

I don't believe it is possible to give up on something you love, the love dies first and then you give up...I think.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast