+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ten most iconic post war English footballers.

I'm more than sure you would.

I'm not too keen on Lineker as a person these days but he was an amazing striker for England. I used to think his name was "Lineker goal" because I got used to hearing that on TV.

For me to be iconic you need to be massively famous and representative of your time, which doesn’t necessarily mean they have to be the best footballers of their time.

Because of that I would have to include Beckham and possibly even Paul Gascogne! The one I would take out would be Jimmy Greaves, even though in my opinion he was a great footballer. As others have said I would see Kevin Keegan and Gazza ahead of him as an icon of their time.

I guess its all about the definition of the word

I which case Gazza has to be there for all the right and wrong reasons !

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Surely the great Duncan Edwards would have to get into the Top Ten, that is in in my humble opinion.
    I considered Edwards. Put him on the honourable mentions list. The fact he played so few games was the reason I left him out. Keegan, Gascoine & Lineker all great players but not iconic, well not to make the 10. It's al about opinions though isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    I considered Edwards. Put him on the honourable mentions list. The fact he played so few games was the reason I left him out. Keegan, Gascoine & Lineker all great players but not iconic, well not to make the 10. It's al about opinions though isn't it?
    True, but if yours is the only opinion which counts it kind of defeats the object of the thread in the first instance. I'd counter that Keegan was very much an icon of his time, as were the candidates which you provided. Did they all transcend the post war period? Clearly not as Cyrille was only born in '58 and Beckham didn't make it out of his mom until the mid 70's.

Although very fine players in their own right, and achieving legendary status for a variety of reasons (I absolutely worshiped Cyrille as a lad, a genuine iconic figure), I don't think many challenged themselves by playing abroad for instance, thus enhancing their iconic status with a wider audience while also winning two Ballon d'Ors as did Keegan.

Then again playing abroad may not have been an option which was open to many of those listed. The obviously exempt Welsh man John Charles managed it, as did Greaves, although despite having a good goal return he just couldn't settle in Milan and came home after less than fif**** games.

There are many ways of defining iconic status and I'm not saying I'd exclude any from your original list. But perhaps limiting it to ten was a bit restrictive.

Still as you say Chris, it's all about opinions isn't it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    True, but if yours is the only opinion which counts it kind of defeats the object of the thread in the first instance. I'd counter that Keegan was very much an icon of his time, as were the candidates which you provided. Did they all transcend the post war period? Clearly not as Cyrille was only born in '58 and Beckham didn't make it out of his mom until the mid 70's.

Although very fine players in their own right, and achieving legendary status for a variety of reasons (I absolutely worshiped Cyrille as a lad, a genuine iconic figure), I don't think many challenged themselves by playing abroad for instance, thus enhancing their iconic status with a wider audience while also winning two Ballon d'Ors as did Keegan.

Then again playing abroad may not have been an option which was open to many of those listed. The obviously exempt Welsh man John Charles managed it, as did Greaves, although despite having a good goal return he just couldn't settle in Milan and came home after less than fif**** games.

There are many ways of defining iconic status and I'm not saying I'd exclude any from your original list. But perhaps limiting it to ten was a bit restrictive.

Still as you say Chris, it's all about opinions isn't it ?
    I wasn't saying only my opinion counts, merely stating why I chose those 10.
    Does playing abroad strengthen or diminish their standings?

Difficult one Chris.

Billy Wright? Yes.
    Bobby Charlton? Yes.
    Stanley Mathews? Yes.
    Bobby Moore, the only England captain to lift the world cup? Yes.
    Geoff Hurst, the only man to score an hat trick in a WC final? Yes.

The others are open to debate.

Cyrille is synonymous with the Three Degrees.

Laurie Cunningham became the first Englishman to play for Real Madrid, and the second black man to wear an England shirt.

David Beckham won over 100 caps, but Billy Wright did it first in the days of less internationals and having to play a full game.
    David Beckham married into show business. Billy Wright did it first.
    David Beckham played for Real Madrid. Laurie Cunningham did it first.

Would i say Beckham is an icon though? Yes definitely.

The three degrees changed football, it's unfair to have one without the other, thats why the statue is of all three. All of them are icons.
    Brendon Batson is one of the best full backs we have had, very gifted, but he is a bit like George Harrison, forever linked with two geniuses.

Great topic for down the pub Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    I wasn't saying only my opinion counts, merely stating why I chose those 10.
    Does playing abroad strengthen or diminish their standings?
    Hang on Chris, I think we may be at cross purposes.

Holmleigh: a. “Keegan, Gascoine & Lineker all great players but not iconic (in your opinion Chris), b. well not to make the 10”.

Albionic68: a. “There are many ways of defining iconic status and I'm not saying I'd exclude any from your original list. b. But perhaps limiting it to ten was a bit restrictive”.

Holmleigh: “Does playing abroad strengthen or diminish their standings?”

Albionic68: As stated above there are many ways of defining iconic status. Steve Bull for instance is an icon for some and I can appreciate why, but just not for me. I would suggest Keegan and Laurie broadened their appeal to a wider audience by plying their trade abroad. Cyrille did not, but he is clearly a footballing icon (in our shared opinion). Greaves may be an icon to you, but given his short career perhaps not to the average AC Milan supporter; swings and roundabouts.

I highlighted in my OP that Keegan was one of the main men around when I were a lad. You discounted Keegan from your reckoning regarding your own top ten. We agree it’s all about opinion and as Des’ suggests it’s a great topic for the pub, just as it is for a football forum.

How about Joe Mayo?
    He was an icon in Princes End.

Joey Mayo, helloooo

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)