+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 47 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Who needs Parliament?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Sorry jackal, but I find that naive in the extreme. Did you really think that the EU would be helpful in any exit deal? Of course they wouldn't, and there's no reason they should be. We have stuck two fingers up at them, so it's up to us to find a beneficial way to leave. After 3 years we are still nowhere near that, because there is no good deal to be had.
    It is in their interests to make it as painful as possible to leave to deter others that are wavering from following us and preventing the whole thing from collapsing like a house of cards.

Sorry jackal, but I find that naive in the extreme. Did you really think that the EU would be helpful in any exit deal? Of course they wouldn't, and there's no reason they should be. We have stuck two fingers up at them, so it's up to us to find a beneficial way to leave. After 3 years we are still nowhere near that, because there is no good deal to be had.
    Trust me, any naivety in my expectation of the EU is purely rhetorical!

I certainly did not expect the EU to be helpful, for the reasons I've stated: it's a self-serving, malevolent, undemocratic bureaucracy bent on controlling its member states.

However, just to indulge naivety for a moment, if this organisation still is what it originally purported to be - and maybe genuinely once intended to be - then why exactly would it NOT be open to members to exercise their sovereign right to join or leave without undue penalty? Isn't that the European ideal of free, independent countries joining together in a healthy and voluntary relationship of mutual benefit?

Nice theory!
    Last edited by jackal2; 11-09-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bridpie78 View Post
    It is in their interests to make it as painful as possible to leave to deter others that are wavering from following us and preventing the whole thing from collapsing like a house of cards.
    Of course it is. But surely we knew that at the start?

Of course it is. But surely we knew that at the start?
    So we agree that the EU will make it very difficult for us to leave, because it knows that if we do so without consequence, others will follow. This is hardly a selling point for staying in the EU!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    So we agree that the EU will make it very difficult for us to leave, because it knows that if we do so without consequence, others will follow. This is hardly a selling point for staying in the EU!
    Maybe, but what happens to us after we exit will hardly be a selling point for leaving the EU.

Maybe, but what happens to us after we exit will hardly be a selling point for leaving the EU.
    Objection your honour,speculation!! you have as much idea about what will happen post Brexit as anybody else, it will be interesting to see which thrives and which fails after it is all over the EU or the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by bridpie78 View Post
    Objection your honour,speculation!! you have as much idea about what will happen post Brexit as anybody else, it will be interesting to see which thrives and which fails after it is all over the EU or the UK.
    The truth is, neither states nor politicians (including unelected EU politicians) are ultimately as important as they like to think they are. Business and money make the world go round and those businesses will find ways to trade the way they need to, even if they have to go over, under or around any petulant, temporary measures and obstacles put in place by officialdom from the UK or the EU. Disruption by definition is temporary, be it caused by political disagreement, terrorism, wars or natural disasters. Life then carries on.
    Last edited by jackal2; 11-09-2019 at 11:44 PM.

Missing your bum chum Tricky by any chance? He shot himself in the foot, you'll just have to try and live with it.
    I know where Tricky is, he is spending his time on a site that isn't a Circle Jerk of Remoaners.
    Actually it's uncovered some (covert) footage of Verhoftw@t bragging that he would be able to buy votes - with help from either Gavin Barwell (now, of course, Lord Barwell) or Olly Robbins (now, of course, Sir Olly Robbins).

Have a dig and try and work out if it's the brand-new new Lord or Knight who is in Verhoftw@ts back pocket.

Or just stick your fingers in your ears and go 'blah blah blah Fake News, that's obviously a gap-toothed, just as ugly look-alike. PSML.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    The truth is, neither states nor politicians (including unelected EU politicians) are ultimately as important as they like to think they are. Business and money make the world go round and those businesses will find ways to trade the way they need to, even if they have to go over, under or around any petulant, temporary measures and obstacles put in place by officialdom from the UK or the EU. Disruption by definition is temporary, be it caused by political disagreement, terrorism, wars or natural disasters. Life then carries on.
    I wrote almost the same thing but then removed my final paragraph because i was speculating

I expect a short period of readjustment and then business as usual for the UK as you say people and businesses will find a way around any obstacles and things will level off.

Quote Originally Posted by dam617 View Post
    I know where Tricky is, he is spending his time on a site that isn't a Circle Jerk of Remoaners.
    Actually it's uncovered some (covert) footage of Verhoftw@t bragging that he would be able to buy votes - with help from either Gavin Barwell (now, of course, Lord Barwell) or Olly Robbins (now, of course, Sir Olly Robbins).

Have a dig and try and work out if it's the brand-new new Lord or Knight who is in Verhoftw@ts back pocket.

Or just stick your fingers in your ears and go 'blah blah blah Fake News, that's obviously a gap-toothed, just as ugly look-alike. PSML.
    I know, I've been laughing at him spouting his Sunreader politics with his new woolly friends!

I'm not in denial that there are corrupt EU politicians. I just think they are preferable to the corrupt Tory politicians we have now.

What does PSML mean?

Page 47 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast