+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hull refuse to pay for MacDonald

Hull refuse to pay for MacDonald

Hull City refuse to pay Barnsley £200k transfer fee instalment for cancer-stricken Angus MacDonald

Angus MacDonald was diagnosed with early-stage bowel cancer in September
    MacDonald joined Hull from Barnsley in 2018 but has only made 13 appearances
    He was out for a year with deep vein thrombosis and has an iron deficiency
    Hull are thought to owe Barnsley £200,000, which was due to be paid in August
    Hull City are refusing to pay Barnsley the final instalment of a transfer fee for a player who has been diagnosed with cancer.

Hull owe Barnsley around £200,000 for defender Angus MacDonald, with the matter now heading for court.

Another of MacDonald's former clubs, Torquay United, are due what sources have said is a '*****' sum — believed to be around £20,000 — because of a sell-on clause.

Hull City defender Angus MacDonald has been diagnosed with early-stage bowel cancer
    It is thought Hull have claimed Barnsley failed to disclose the 27-year-old had an iron deficiency when he moved between the clubs.

Hull agreed a fee believed to be around £750,000 in January of last year and the final payment was due on August 31.

It was not forthcoming. On September 4, Hull released a statement disclosing that MacDonald had been diagnosed with the early stages of bowel cancer. He had been sidelined for almost a year because of deep vein thrombosis and has made 13 appearances for the club, with his last coming in April 2018.

Barnsley and Torquay declined to comment.

The former Torquay and Barnsley man vowed to fight the illness 'head on' in an Instagram post
    Hull said they could not comment due to it being a 'legal matter'.

Prior to his move to Hull, then-Barnsley head coach Paul Heckingbottom publicly cited an iron deficiency as the reason for MacDonald not making the squad at Oakwell in the latter stages of his time there.

The player himself begged to differ in an interview in a subsequent Hull match programme, stating tests during his medical had shown 'sky-high' levels.

After the cancer diagnosis, MacDonald checked into hospital and posted a defiant message on Instagram, stating that he was 'ready to fight this head on'.

He added: 'I am going to do whatever I can to get back to full health and back on the pitch.'

MacDonald's girlfriend, the 2008 X Factor winner Alexandra Burke, also took to social media to voice her support.

Best of luck Alex in your fight against this awful disease get well soon,
    Another club refusing to pay money in an agreed transfer fee it just shows how the football game has gone money money money before anything else serious illness and even death

Sorry I meant Angus not Alex I was just in a bad mood after reading ESR post

Best of luck Alex in your fight against this awful illness .

I think that's the important thing , Alex's health , the morality of football today needs no comment from me .

Yes, get well soon.
    Keep the money, it's irrelevant.
    It'd only end up Chien's back pocket anyway.

You’ve caught Dooali’s bug as well animal...his name is Angus

Let’s see what the facts are. It’s only the tabloids bringing the fact he has cancer into it to glorify the headline as usual.

The actual dispute is about Barnsley supposedly holding back information about him ( iron deficiency) that they knew when he was sold.

See what happens in court or between the lawyers

Quote Originally Posted by perkytyke View Post
    You’ve caught Dooali’s bug as well animal...his name is Angus
    I have indeed perky , losing the plot mate .

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    Let’s see what the facts are. It’s only the tabloids bringing the fact he has cancer into it to glorify the headline as usual.

The actual dispute is about Barnsley supposedly holding back information about him ( iron deficiency) that they knew when he was sold.

See what happens in court or between the lawyers
    You'd have thought that any kind of decent medical conducted by Hull City would have revealed that in any case .

Quote Originally Posted by Hodger1957 View Post
    Yes, get well soon.
    Keep the money, it's irrelevant.
    It'd only end up Chien's back pocket anyway.
    Sounds like their owners are as greedy as ours , so maybe a good idea to give the money to a cancer charity ? Instead of involving Lawyers/solicitors who in turn will make money out of a sad situation , the world's gone barmy everything revolves around money/greed