+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Fitbas F@cked

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Not qualifying for the Europa league would be the biggest hurdle
    That's irrelevent in terms of when you could plan a pre-season Europe trip.
    Indeed, not qualifying for the Europa League would make it harder to organise.
    [edit] Actually I have made an error with the legue cup dates. Hearts and Dundee Utd play the first game in the League Cup Group stages a day later than we play in Europe, so there is no difference if we qualify or not in terms of playing our first competitive game [/edit]

You could argue they have this "European Pre-season friendly" when they go to Ireland and play Connah's Quay Nomads on 29th June
    Last edited by afc1903mad; 13-06-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Sound

Bring back 'the trial match' for preseason aka 1st team v 2nd. When and why did they stop? Great crowds and atmosphere.

The horse bolted over 20 years ago. It’s nice to think that if the major clubs just f*cked off to their own competition this will improve things but this is naive. On some level it’s important that we remain within the same pyramid as these teams to remain relevant, irrespective of whether we ever actually play them. Without that we become a real “Diddy” league and the only people watching the Dons will be the kind of misanthropes who inhabit this board.

Quote Originally Posted by deaconred View Post
    Scottish teams had a fair degree of success in European competition in the 60s. Clubs like Celtic and Rangers realised tho that, to maintain the ability to compete, they needed more money. At that time TV money was not an option - the main source of cash was the attendance money. Up until then, the attendance money of any game was split evenly (after expenses) between the home and away team. This provided a great subsidy for smaller clubs - they would get 50% of gate receipts from visits to Celtic Park, Ibrox, Pittodrie, Tynecastle and Easter Road. The 18 team first division was ideal for distributing income throughout the rest of the game. Transfer fees tended to be paid by bigger clubs to smaller clubs - Dunfermline built their main stand using money from a transfer. They also sold two players to Rangers in the mid-60s - Alex Smith and Alex Ferguson - which broke the transfer record. The game in Scotland was in a decent state. In the years from 1950 to 1965, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee, Kilmarnock all won the league. The Cups were also well distributed.

Europe changed that. The bigger clubs (Huns and Hooped Huns in particular) wanted more money as they saw Europe as the place to be competing in. Other clubs (us, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee, United) tagged along thinking only of themselves and the promised land of keeping all your gate money to yourself. Bad move. They also decided to go for a top 10 - more meaningful games (translated - more money for us playing 4 home games each season against the Old Firm and keeping all the money). What happened was that they created a duoply where the Cheeks had access to much more resources than anyone else and so won all the trophies.

Bosman brought about a collapse of the transfer market and another source of finance was lost. (Unless you had a player Ebbe fancied).

This whole scenario was then repeated in Europe - the rich wanted more power and control. I think it was maybe 86 that Juventus were paired with Real in the first rund of the old European Cup. One of them had to go and the other was not happy. There were threats of Packer-style breakaway European leagues which forced UEFA into introducing the Champions League where everything was done for the benefit of the top teams, the top leagues in order to keep them sweet. Everybody else became a backwater. Ajax - one minute away from the final this year - forced into the preliminary round next season.

In both Scotland and Europe the rich have got richer whilst the poor are poorer. Most domestic leagues in Europe are now dominated by one or two teams - Bayern, Juventus, Barca, Benfica, Man City, Dhims, Ajax, PSG. Many of the kids (that used to wander around with Cheek tops on) are now wearing Barcelona, Juventus and Real tops - and yet would never think of going along to watch their local Highland League team. It's like proclaiming unending love for Paloma Faith (?) whilst ignoring all the local talent.

Solution? Let them go. Let UEFA create an actual two-tier European League which takes the top teams away from the domestic game. Tax the participants heavily and put the money back into the domestic leagues.

I'm not really too bothered by the quality of football I watch as it is only part of the reason I go - drinking with mates, going to new grounds, travelling in Europe are all more important. So, I'd much rather watch a Dundee v Aberdeen match where both teams had a chance of winning the Scottish League than watch the Celtic Superstars romping home every year.

Alternative? Football is fecked.
    Really good post. Where the hell is the like button when you need it? Lot of good points there. I have been saying for years i would like to see the gruesome twosome f*ck off and play in the English league. or the Azerbaijani league, well, anywhere but Scotland really.

I have no interest whatsoever in seeing Real play Barcelona or anyone else. I watch Aberdeen and things would be a great deal more exciting if if the orcs and the green f*ckwits were playing in a different league. That said I don't see them making the grade to qualify for any Euro super leagues. Be nice if they did though. I have been saying that for years. I don't mean on here. I rarely post except in the close season. Boredom I 'spose.

Oh also I had to look up Paloma Faith, never heard of her. Rules min!

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRed View Post

Oh also I had to look up Paloma Faith, never heard of her. Rules min!
    Nah min shes a rotter

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Nah min shes a rotter
    Is she? I'll check her out on google.

Quote Originally Posted by deaconred View Post
    Is she? I'll check her out on google.
    Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 769
Size:  7.1 KB

Looks like Billie Piper and Bjork found a way to produce lesbian love child.

I have just picked up a french news paper on Asterix de Gaulle. Just so i could see what the sport pages are saying. With my basic french i have just read PSG are looking to sign Matthijs de Ligt from Ajax on 11 million Euros a year. F@cking hell

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast