+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the Older Supporters

For the Older Supporters

What was your favourite end before the stadium was turned into a concrete mausoleum

I started off in the Gallowgate End in the late 50’s, then the Leazes End and ended up in the Popular End

Loved the old Leazes End though

Started off in Centre Paddock in old West Stand, moved to Leazes then Gallowgate. In 1978 got my first season ticket in West Stand (for the extortionate price of £12) Did not really like the seats so used to sell my season ticket and pay to get in the scoreboard or corner for a few years. Swapped seats for ST in East Stand. Stayed there until I packed it all in a few years ago.
    Out of all that I pick the corner (may be cos thats where I saw Beardsley Waddle Keegan et al ) Happy days most of them. Even when we were pure shyte we always had hope and passion

Allways was the Gallowgate for me from my first game in short pants in 1946 until I moved away from the area in 1964.

When I've returned, usually with one or both of my sons we have treated ourselves to a seat in the Milburn Stand.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Allways was the Gallowgate for me from my first game in short pants in 1946 until I moved away from the area in 1964.

When I've returned, usually with one or both of my sons we have treated ourselves to a seat in the Milburn Stand.
    My Mam used to work in the old Bovril Shop underneath the old scoreboard in the Gallowgate End.

She then moved to the shop in the Popular End top corner next to Leazes End free pie and Bovril for me and a couple of mates

For me as a youngster it was always the Leazes End with my mates, although my first-ever match when my uncle took me it was in the Paddock - passed over the heads to sit on the "running track".

I just loved the pre-match atmosphere in the Leazes. No need for somebody screaming over the tannoy to whip up the singing and chanting.
    Tanner-a-bag for peanuts, massive queue at the Boys' Gate, no roof on the netty, Football Pink for the results.
    Sorry - just went into full Ron Manager mode!

Nowadays whenever I can get home, given my advancing years, I treat myself to the Milburn.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherTerryMac View Post
    My Mam used to work in the old Bovril Shop underneath the old scoreboard in the Gallowgate End.

She then moved to the shop in the Popular End top corner next to Leazes End free pie and Bovril for me and a couple of mates
    I must have had a cup or two from your Ma over the years Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by KemptownMag View Post
    For me as a youngster it was always the Leazes End with my mates, although my first-ever match when my uncle took me it was in the Paddock - passed over the heads to sit on the "running track".

I just loved the pre-match atmosphere in the Leazes. No need for somebody screaming over the tannoy to whip up the singing and chanting.
    Tanner-a-bag for peanuts, massive queue at the Boys' Gate, no roof on the netty, Football Pink for the results.
    Sorry - just went into full Ron Manager mode!

Nowadays whenever I can get home, given my advancing years, I treat myself to the Milburn.
    That took me back too being passed down to the front by the blokes. You had to stay stiff rigid until you got down to the front. Aye and the lad with the peanuts. He must have been a fantastic cricket fielder. He could hurl a bag of peanuts so accurately, hardly ever missed.

That took me back too being passed down to the front by the blokes. You had to stay stiff rigid until you got down to the front. Aye and the lad with the peanuts. He must have been a fantastic cricket fielder. He could hurl a bag of peanuts so accurately, hardly ever missed.
    I remember when it was snowing I got passed over everyones heads to sit in the straw behind the goal in the Gallowgate End

There was no health and safety then

I must have had a cup or two from your Ma over the years Terry.
    You would have Bill

First ever game was in the wooden West Stand. Thereafter always in the Gallowgate - few years in the scoreboard and then the corner till I moved away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)