+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 347 of 349 FirstFirst ... 247297337345346347348349 LastLast
Results 3,461 to 3,470 of 3487

Thread: O/T DDay for Brexit..well sort of...

Farage has never supported a deal, so there's no again about it. That being said, I think the electoral threat to the Tories that The Brexit Party posed has been reduced by recent events.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Farage has never supported a deal, so there's no again about it. That being said, I think the electoral threat to the Tories that The Brexit Party posed has been reduced by recent events.
    Farage said he thought he and Johnson were on the same page until this deal. If we're quibbling about a word then maybe again is the correct term.

While brexiteers are revelling in the Johnson rehash May deal Farage says the only real point if difference (apart from a few tweaks) is that Johnson plans to break up the UK. He said the deal will tie us up to EU regulations indefinitely and make it almost impossible to make competitive trade deals.

Farage likes to be in the public eye, so of course he likes to say things like that. It extends his political shelf life.

That's the problem with Brexit - so many agendas. You've got the Lib Dems and SNP who want to remain and Labour who appear to want to be Leave and Remain simultaneously, but when pushed favour a soft 'we want to accept EU law even though we will have no say in it's contents' exit . You've got Farage for whom only no deal will be acceptable and the Tories who favour a moderately hard exit.

Raging wants them to come up with a solution that makes everyone happy (provided that it is a soft Labour solution).

I think the Tories want a no deal brexit or why has oct 31st oct been such an important date for them ?Don't forget that the tory party is controlled by the hard right ERG in this matter as well. They would still come out with no deal if they had or do get the chance.

Johnson and the ERG are comfortable with no deal, but there is no way that they could carry the rest of the party with them.

The 31st date is entirely political. It allows Johnson to say to the electorate - with some accuracy - 'Look, I really wanted to leave by this date and did my best to do so with a deal, but was prevented by a dithering, divided, game playing Parliament'.

Johnson and the ERG are comfortable with no deal, but there is no way that they could carry the rest of the party with them.

The 31st date is entirely political. It allows Johnson to say to the electorate - with some accuracy - 'Look, I really wanted to leave by this date and did my best to do so with a deal, but was prevented by a dithering, divided, game playing Parliament'.
    That's exactly where we stand.A general election is the the only way to suspend this stagnant parliament.Each party with their own mandates and once for all let's get this brexit done.Another referendum is the loser's solution.We cannot continue kicking the can down the road by these obstructors of democracy.

Brexiteers still dont know what they want.

Farage likes to be in the public eye, so of course he likes to say things like that. It extends his political shelf life.

That's the problem with Brexit - so many agendas. You've got the Lib Dems and SNP who want to remain and Labour who appear to want to be Leave and Remain simultaneously, but when pushed favour a soft 'we want to accept EU law even though we will have no say in it's contents' exit . You've got Farage for whom only no deal will be acceptable and the Tories who favour a moderately hard exit.

Raging wants them to come up with a solution that makes everyone happy (provided that it is a soft Labour solution).
    Usual distortion there Kerr. Thanks for that.

I think the gest of what iwas suggesting is that from the moment that we elected the hung parliament, it should have been clear to the leadership that an extreme break was impossible as the numbers could never be there for it. Likewise an extreme soft brexit out referendum.

So at this point, the leaders should have worked across party so that common ground could be established and compromises made on all sides that reflect a 52/48 vote. If you are a parent of 10 children and you ask them their say on a family decision, do you simply go with the 6 majority and ignore the other 4 kids completely, or do you work to a compromise that favours the majority but keeps the others happy and engaged?

Too many agendas and extremes not willing to compromise, hence the deadlock. Its that simple. Good management of the situation might have pissed both extremes off but at least we'd be able to leave without all this dreary **** and bullying

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Usual distortion there Kerr. Thanks for that.

I think the gest of what iwas suggesting is that from the moment that we elected the hung parliament, it should have been clear to the leadership that an extreme break was impossible as the numbers could never be there for it. Likewise an extreme soft brexit out referendum.

So at this point, the leaders should have worked across party so that common ground could be established and compromises made on all sides that reflect a 52/48 vote. If you are a parent of 10 children and you ask them their say on a family decision, do you simply go with the 6 majority and ignore the other 4 kids completely, or do you work to a compromise that favours the majority but keeps the others happy and engaged?

Too many agendas and extremes not willing to compromise, hence the deadlock. Its that simple. Good management of the situation might have pissed both extremes off but at least we'd be able to leave without all this dreary **** and bullying
    In what way distortion? I merely relayed what you meant rather than what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Brexiteers still dont know what they want.
    Brexiteers know that they want to leave the EU, WanChai. That is how they are defined.

The difficulty is in how they want to leave, if that is what you meant? That is obviously right: There is a spectrum of views from a no deal Farage to a super soft Stephen Kinnock.

I would argue that both the May and Johnson deals fall towards the centre of the spectrum. I do wonder if some Labour MPs are kicking themselves now for rejecting May.

Page 347 of 349 FirstFirst ... 247297337345346347348349 LastLast