+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Those of you who called for Ardley's sacking

Imagine if Trew had given the job full time to Carl Heggs and we'd got relegated in 2011. People would have begun to question the wisdom of sacking Paul Ince when we were still two places above the drop.

Sacking a manager is only half of the equation. It's who you replace him with that gives you your result.

You only have to listen to Ardley's last desperate post match interview to realise his position had become untenable.
    Burchnall was and is a massive gamble. I'm sure he'll be given time but it will be rightly called out as a bad decision in the short term if we don't make the play offs and it will be a disastrous decision if we don't go up next season.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Imagine if Trew had given the job full time to Carl Heggs and we'd got relegated in 2011. People would have begun to question the wisdom of sacking Paul Ince when we were still two places above the drop.

Sacking a manager is only half of the equation. It's who you replace him with that gives you your result.

You only have to listen to Ardley's last desperate post match interview to realise his position had become untenable.
    Burchnall was and is a massive gamble. I'm sure he'll be given time but it will be rightly called out as a bad decision in the short term if we don't make the play offs and it will be a disastrous decision if we don't go up next season.
    What he says. ^^^^^^

Like others I wanted Ardley gone but would not have been fussed if he was given to the end of the season...This season is gone, but my biggest worry how are we going to prepare for next season, (because we will still be in this poxy league and rightly so me thinks) Seems this recruitment policy is not working... But what do I know, seems gone are the days when you could look at a player for a few weeks and decide if he cut the mustard so to speak... Will IB have the ability to deliver a new squad for next season and in front of inpatient Notts fans, I doubt it...

One good thing looks like I will be visiting me favourite fish and chip shop in the whole of the UK next season, Steels here I come...

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I thought at the time, listening to that interview, 'this guy ain't gonna be here much longer'.

I half expected to hear the following day that he'd thrown in the towel, he sounded so disillusioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    Like others I wanted Ardley gone but would not have been fussed if he was given to the end of the season...This season is gone, but my biggest worry how are we going to prepare for next season, (because we will still be in this poxy league and rightly so me thinks) Seems this recruitment policy is not working... But what do I know, seems gone are the days when you could look at a player for a few weeks and decide if he cut the mustard so to speak... Will IB have the ability to deliver a new squad for next season and in front of inpatient Notts fans, I doubt it...

One good thing looks like I will be visiting me favourite fish and chip shop in the whole of the UK next season, Steels here I come...
    Is that the one on the front in Cleethorpes?

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    My favourite fish and chip shop too. I'd have preferred Grimsby to stay up and we visit them after clinching promotion, though.

Name:  Steels.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  28.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    My favourite fish and chip shop too. I'd have preferred Grimsby to stay up and we visit them after clinching promotion, though.

Name:  Steels.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  28.3 KB
    First ever away game I took my two lads to was Grimsby away (we lost) and we had fish and chips there. I hope we sneak into the playoffs and get promotion but if not that is a bit of a consolation.

A silver lining if ever I've seen one.

Been to Blundell Park more times than I probably should have. One of my favourite memories of this classic old ground is visiting in the early 90s, entertaining high scoring game , busy away end in great voice and snow. Lots and lots of falling snow.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    A silver lining if ever I've seen one.

Been to Blundell Park more times than I probably should have. One of my favourite memories of this classic old ground is visiting in the early 90s, entertaining high scoring game , busy away end in great voice and snow. Lots and lots of falling snow.
    I was at that game. 3-3. Steve Cherry got fouled and was lying flat out on the ground, ball ran loose, they stuck it in the net and the ref gave the goal for their equaliser after we'd been 3-1 up.

I remember the scoreline, I remember the barbwire topped fencing as you make your way to the away terrace and I remember snowballs being thrown but your memory is better than mine to remember the Cherry being fouled incident.

Watched Notts in their big main stand one night night match when Russell Slade was in charge of them in 2005. We got hammered, totally outplayed, if I remember rightly we were correctly reduced to 10 men and Mr Slade rightly had a huge smile on his face after the match having beaten his former employers so handsomely. Certainly got one over Derek that night and since.

Never been so cold at a game before or since, that wind off the North Sea hits you like a hammer when sat in the top tier foolishly in just a suit.

Look forward to going back if they do indeed get relegated.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast