+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Stewart has his say on last January

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Really? Do you think every effort was made to preserve the club's Championship status?
    No I don’t

He didn’t make same mistake the main mistake he did 2 years ago was buying blackstock on cheap on high wages in a panic buy when better options were turned down earlier, it wasn’t lack of funds that year it was him playing Dickinson’s real deal.

The mistake this year was he didn’t even go to the market and decided to send warne to charity shops instead looking for freebies and kept his wallet shut.

Mistake yes but completely different

We have learnt from our mistakes he said. That was the season we went into the championship, and he's saying the same now. We were talking to seven players plus the lad from Millwall later on and we got one over the line. Lot of people on here were saying a couple of loans in the Jan transfer window would probably have kept us up and that we didn't get those players in is down to the chairman.

What a ridiculous statement to make it’s down to the chairman??
    What evidence and not opinion or rumours do you have that it was 100% down to TS?

Quote Originally Posted by Back of the net View Post
    What a ridiculous statement to make it’s down to the chairman??
    What evidence and not opinion or rumours do you have that it was 100% down to TS?
    As far as I know

TS is in charge of money

Trotter scouts players for warne and rob

PW and rob are in charge of getting players in based on TS money and trotters info

Douglas sorts contracts and wages.

Could be wrong but that’s how I think it works

However with no set budget it leaves Paul warne asking Tony Tony can a get some pocket money

Look read this like it is. We’re down, there was NEVER any intention to spend any money to keep us up in January.

Warne knew to keep quiet and crack on with what he had and he did a great job,

Maybe, just maybe, he’s given ‘some’ kind of budget to mount a realistic challenge next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Look read this like it is. We’re down, there was NEVER any intention to spend any money to keep us up in January.

Warne knew to keep quiet and crack on with what he had and he did a great job,

Maybe, just maybe, he’s given ‘some’ kind of budget to mount a realistic challenge next season.

I think most regular fans accept that the club has to stay within sensible financial spending targets, but equally the same fans are fed up with these “smoke and mirrors” statements the club puts out.

You’re right about Warne, I can’t see him storming into the chairman’s office demanding transfer money or he resigns. It’s a hand in glove arrangement

WOW! jUST WOW!

Have you lot heard yourselves?

Why cant you just believe the chairman and that what he says is the truth of the matter? I totally believe that we were let down by the recruitment people and that the chairman was bamboozled by the tech guy with his fancy software etc.

I feel for Warny even with all his faults but he is learning how to be a manager and everything that comes with it. For me Warny is the way forward for the club and has the potential to become a good manager. Yes he made mistakes but who here does not make mistakes! The trick is to learn from them.

The club is in a new era where wages and price tags are out of control and value for money has to be taken into account.

From where I'm sitting the club is in good hands and I am excited about the future.

UTM!

Think i read that Scotty was involved in finding Maupay for Brentford, who is now being touted for £10M+, but they paid £1m for him.

So it doesn't matter who they "find" as long as they're the cheaper option. We won't be risking £1m on anyone.

Clark-Harris, Bowery, Becchio and Blackstock all wasted a good wage, and TS won't get his fingers burnt again, but that could mean

we DO miss the next bargain....

Quote Originally Posted by avondalemiller View Post
    Clark-Harris, Bowery, Becchio and Blackstock all wasted a good wage
    It's easy to see from that assessment. We need to try lower down the alphabet. What's Bobby Zamora up to these days

Overall my worry is that Warne isn't manager enough to improve the "Quality" of player and therefore the squad. Most of Warne's men were pleased to be here - coming from lower leagues to a relatively bigger club. No players from big clubs -
    ( Towell - pleased to get a game ) or players with a confident streak - a big "I AM" player - who could actually score for example. We got triers and that's not good enough.

This would be OK if we had a Clough senior type guru who could create a team that is better than its constituent parts.

But the management team can't even drill the team to defend effectively - and coming top of the long ball league is ****e.

My fear is the Nicely Nicely club will reduce this club to also rans long term.

A manager of self ambition is a good thing for me because I can't see what motivation Warne has now - he's safe BUT he's satisfied whereas an ambitious manager ( like EVO even ) is selfish and makes demands from all concerned that provides the edge we need. He was proud of the boys win - lose or draw. Amateur teams get a *******ing for a reason. "You did your best" is no motivation to a pro player.

Not attracting Premiership youth a problem too.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast