+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: All-time Football League Positions 1888-2018

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Just a thought, Wimbledon have spent more seasons in the premier than Wolves and won the FA cup, but can't list their honours.
    Wolves went bump and are now Wolves 86 ( honours Shepa van,4th div tiltle,3rd div title 2 and 3 top flight seasons )
    Ooer soul man that's akin to poking a vipers nest with a stick, put on your body armour immediately

Quote Originally Posted by WBA53 View Post
    Ooer soul man that's akin to poking a vipers nest with a stick, put on your body armour immediately
    Hi mate, I was working in the W'ton tax office for BT when they called wolves to pay a £25k bill. tHe taxman told me they had 3 days to pay.

Football today is like formula1, titles are bought and paid for. Only half a dozen clubs are likely to win things over and over again.
    Chelsea had only ever won the cup once until 1997 and the league once until 2005, they won the cup for the first time in 1970.
    Wolves had one good side, in an 11 year period they won the league three times and the cup twice. Before and after they have been in the third and fourth divisions.
    Some Wolves fans i know genuinley believe they were the best team in the world in the 50's, yet Manchester United also won the league 3 times in the 50's, were in two cup finals and a European cup semi. Two of Wolves titles came after the Munich air disaster. Real Madrid won the EC five times running.
    Trophies don't always reflect the best teams. Hungary in 54 WC won nothing. Holland in 74 and 78 also won nothing.
    What this table shows is a clubs consistency in it's lifetime, and Albion have consistently been a top flight club.
    The 1990's being the only decade we haven't graced it.

Didn't you get the memo soulman, you cannot refer to those collection buckets, and tenancy agreements it's strictly 50's history only please.

Maybe these all time tables should find a dignity rating where brgging and not being to muster up enough kit to play are taken into account.

Hi talkSAFT
    When it comes to having a good memory of glory years Albions fans need long memories of their most successful era it was the 10 or 11 years from 1920 when they won the league once( for the only time) and won the cup and came 2nd twice. Since then they have never won the league - they won League Cup in '66 won the Fa cup twice.- the last time 50 years ago(not exactly yesterday!). Since then Wolves have won the League cup twice last time 1980.
    Wolves had previously also been Finalists in UEFA Cup Final 1972,semi finalist in European Cup Winners' cup'60s,Quarter finalists in European Cup,60s . Notice I haven't even mentioned the 50s but perhaps I should have 'cause Albion had a half decent team in those days.
    So please inform me about Albion's golden era and any major title they have won in the last 50 years............I wait with baited breath!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomalice View Post
    Hi talkSAFT
    When it comes to having a good memory of glory years Albions fans need long memories of their most successful era it was the 10 or 11 years from 1920 when they won the league once( for the only time) and won the cup and came 2nd twice. Since then they have never won the league - they won League Cup in '66 won the Fa cup twice.- the last time 50 years ago(not exactly yesterday!). Since then Wolves have won the League cup twice last time 1980.
    Wolves had previously also been Finalists in UEFA Cup Final 1972,semi finalist in European Cup Winners' cup'60s,Quarter finalists in European Cup,60s . Notice I haven't even mentioned the 50s but perhaps I should have 'cause Albion had a half decent team in those days.
    So please inform me about Albion's golden era and any major title they have won in the last 50 years............I wait with baited breath!
    If it helps we have never won promotion from the fourth division

Hi WBA1955
    Interesting comments about 50s. It wasn't the Wolves fans who declared that Wolves were the greatest club in the world,nor the local papers.
    It was the National papers and football magazines of the era who filled sports pages proclaiming Wolves as the greatest team in the world And from that came the European cup to prove that they weren't !
    But they were a great side-they must have been to keep the excellent Albion side of '53/54 in second place !
    Just to take you up on one point concerning the Munich Air disaster which occured in the !st week of feb.
    So the League one week before this happened showed Wolves top with a good lead United were not even in the top 3 in the league ( a certain WBA were 3rd)!In a 6 years Wolves period won the league 3 times (2 before Munich ) and the FA cup -throw in the Charity shield and you have to accept they had been some team......
    It is disingenuous to suggest that wolves only won the league because of the Munich air crash -
    Point 2 it is indisputable to say that Albion have been the more consistent than Wolves,but I have to be honest I'll put up with some bad times(there has been plenty!) For the odd jewel and these great times stay with real supporters for ever.such as winning the league FA Cup LeagueCup, - getting to the later stages of European competions , Wolves performances last season.
    I'm sure that if Albion get promoted next season(I hope you do) you will enjoy it more being an also ran struggler in the Premier.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomalice View Post
    Hi talkSAFT
    another dogyed obbssed wither the baggies you know a awful lot about the baggies, now twaddle off ,oh and take tweedle dumb a and tweddle dumber with you .p.s.that all time league positions have been around for years off school are we.

Wicka Mon
    Absolutely true and hopefully you will never fall that far ,it's painful.
    But if you do the few fans who continue to follow might have the same great time as Wolves fans have had.We had a great time in the lower divisions .For all the sneers it is sad to see your team full apart but the joy in seeing your side start winning and fighting their way back is fabulous so yes Wolves are the only team to ever win all 4 Divisions and now we're back in the top division and hopefully do well but if not I do believe it is better to do well in lower leagues than to be a poor side in the premier who play badly week after week and struggle for seasons,if that is genuinely what you prefer then may you remain proud of being consistently in the top division but achieving nothing but boredom.
    All the best

albion68
    Wow what a great reply must have taken a long time to think up write badly.
    It didn't too long to translate and yes I am off from school ,thanks for asking but I was just wondering did you ever go to school because if you did I hope that it has been closed down as it was obviously failing !!
    Have a nice day

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)