+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread

Very much the latter

I.e. the scruffy away win against a poor side who should have been one up at half time
    Not complaining but not convinced we deserve to be 5th - just yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Proudpie View Post
    I.e. the scruffy away win against a poor side who should have been one up at half time
    Not complaining but not convinced we deserve to be 5th - just yet...
    Strange that the highlights package doesn't show the Vale attack that hit the base of the Notts post......I might need to watch the full game again on iFollow........but I haven't had enough beers yet!!

Free-flowing football in league 2? This division is renowned for being one you have to scrap and battle your way out of. Warnock, provider of our best recent memories, was a battler until he could afford the kind of players who indulged their silky skills. Even now at Cardiff, he's assembled a team of battlers and had the close season to do it so it may not be a temporary phenomenon.
    The league table is meaningless at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    The league table is meaningless at this stage.
    It is - talk of 'in the playoffs' is pretty meaningless as they're 7 months away...

The table only really starts to take shape after about 10 games.

Quote Originally Posted by CmonU***yStylishPies View Post
    It is - talk of 'in the playoffs' is pretty meaningless as they're 7 months away...

The table only really starts to take shape after about 10 games.
    Absolutely right. And if anyone wants the evidence, here's the top six after 5 games last season:-

1 Morecambe, 2 Luton, 3 Doncaster, 4 Colchester, 5 Mansfield, 6 Carlisle

Of these, only Doncaster won promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    Absolutely right. And if anyone wants the evidence, here's the top six after 5 games last season:-

1 Morecambe, 2 Luton, 3 Doncaster, 4 Colchester, 5 Mansfield, 6 Carlisle

Of these, only Doncaster won promotion.
    Evidence - Why stop at 6th ?
    7th Plymouth - Promoted
    8th Portsmouth - Promoted
    Also Carlisle and Luton were in the playoffs, so five out of the top eight finished in the final important places.
    I agree it is too early to talk about promotion/playoffs but don't dismiss early season form, these games count for as much as the ones at the end of the season, 3pts for a win etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ReadWarbler View Post
    Evidence - Why stop at 6th ?
    7th Plymouth - Promoted
    8th Portsmouth - Promoted
    Also Carlisle and Luton were in the playoffs, so five out of the top eight finished in the final important places.
    I agree it is too early to talk about promotion/playoffs but don't dismiss early season form, these games count for as much as the ones at the end of the season, 3pts for a win etc.
    This is the positive attitude that i like... granted nothing is sorted after 5 games but we are going great guns at the moment.. Saturdays game is not a given but Morecambe are not great shakes so lets hope for a decent performance and 3 points to strengthen our position...

04/05 we were top going into September..look how that season panned out.

The table means nothing as others have said.

We'll finish comfortably in mid table..which isn't the end of the world considering past seasons efforts. We have a solid side that lacks the finer ingredients needed to be pushing.
    Last edited by KeepTheMagpieFlyingH; 04-09-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheMagpieFlyingH View Post
    04/05 we were top going into September..look how that season panned out.

The table means nothing as others have said.

We'll finish comfortably in mid table..which isn't the end of the world considering past seasons efforts. We have a solid side that lacks the finer ingredients needed to be pushing.
    It was 2005/06 but you make a good point KTMFH.

The last game in August we won at Mansfield to go 3 points clear at the top of the table. (That was the last time we won at Mansfield).

We then went 9 games without a win and ended the season winning 1 of our last 16 games and finishing 21st and 3 points off going out of the league.

Looking at Stats:

In each of the last 4 seasons, 4 teams who were in the top 7 after 5 games finished in the top 7 at the end of the season.

Of those 16 teams over the 4 seasons, 8 won automatic promotion and 8 reached the play-offs but only 1 won the play-off final. In the other 3 seasons the winner of the play-off final was not in the top 7 after 5 games.

What does all that prove? Absolutely nothing! What’s happened in the past doesn’t have a bearing on what’s going to happen this season.

I’d rather be in 5th with 10 points though, after 5 games than 5th from bottom with 4 points.

Over the last 10 seasons 52 points would have seen you retain your place in the Football League. So that’s only 42 more points to go to safety!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast