+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T: Annoying Word Emphasis Changes

How are you? Oh I'm good, thanks. NO, NO, NO, NO. I'm good is a moral statement, not an expression of well-being. Either, I feel fine or I feel good.
    But even worse is the all-American 'you guys' regardless of the gender being addressed. American services slang. Yuk. Give me chaps or blokes any day.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    How are you? Oh I'm good, thanks. NO, NO, NO, NO. I'm good is a moral statement, not an expression of well-being. Either, I feel fine or I feel good.
    But even worse is the all-American 'you guys' regardless of the gender being addressed. American services slang. Yuk. Give me chaps or blokes any day.
    Rather an an ambiguous last sentence there, old sport.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Rather an an ambiguous last sentence there, old sport.
    I hate..hello guys etc..thats American, and guys are men, there are women as well. Prostitution of the English language

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    I listen to BBC 5Live quite a lot whilst driving, and just about every guest they have on does it - and annoyingly, the more educated they are (scientists, doctors, teachers, academics - people who should know better) the more likely they are to do it.
    For about two years now I have had a policy whereby as soon as someone does it I say "You start with So, and off you go!" and I turn the radio off for a few minutes until the culprit has gone.
    I find recently that the radio is off far more than it is on - true story.
    Haha...so do i

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkirk-Pie View Post
    This has become an epidemic, and once you start to notice it, it will drive you nuts. I'd like to see Radio 4 introduce a "three strikes and you're out" rule, whereby any contributor who begins three consecutive answers with "So..." has their microphone immediately switched off.
    ^^^^^^^

100% this!

We need an extra definition of 'so' in the dictionary these days:

'So: pointless addition to the start of sentences used by pretentious prats.'

And don't start me on (often otherwise intelligent) ****s and twenty-somethings saying: "So I was like..." and "So she was like..."

There seems to be a new answer to replying to a question which is "yeah, no". Which one is it?

A common spelling error - even at the very highest level and epidemic on here - is spelling the past tense of the verb 'lead' as lead (when, of course, it should be led). It is pronounced 'lead' when it's a noun.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    A common spelling error - even at the very highest level and epidemic on here - is spelling the past tense of the verb 'lead' as lead (when, of course, it should be led). It is pronounced 'lead' when it's a noun.
    I read you lead and clour.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkirk-Pie View Post
    It could be worse. Nihal Arthanayake on Radio 5, who has pretty much ruined Richard Bacon's old afternoon slot, regularly calls his interviewees "dude". Unforgivable.
    Where's he from? Never heard of him.

.. the prat Nihal Arsface is a typical BBC politically correct appointment who so loves himself I'm surprised he can get his head through the BBC front door. He knows everything about everything. He's ruined the afternoon slot ... so only bother to listen if he has an interesting (to you) topic/guest ... otherwise check your blood pressure if you last until 4.00pm.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast