+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Tour de France

What's the tactics today. Is this one for the climbers or the sprinters? It looks tough, but then looks all down hill at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    What's the tactics today. Is this one for the climbers or the sprinters? It looks tough, but then looks all down hill at the end.
    With The Telegraphe and Galibier to get over OC, I can't see any sprinters being around when they get on that downhill.

Well done Froome coming third and now 27 seconds ahead whilst Uran and romain takes over from Aru in joint second. Seemed tactically sound to me a non expert.

Simon Yates still in lead for white jersey, but with a smaller 2 mins 28 sec lead over Meintjes who beat him by 1.30 today

Team Sky 10 mins ahead of AGR 2 in team race.

Kittel crashes out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/40656045

...a stage with high expectations - but bar Aru losing time. Kittels retirement - and a fine solo from Roglic - was just business as usual, Sky train were allowed to control the pace....and other than a few turns of speed from Bardet - was mostly a damp squib.
    I really thought that when Contador took off we'd see Uran/Bardet or Aru go with him, make a race of it....but nothing, Just let Sky pull them along....even when they burnt, Froome only needed to continue sucking wheels, as not even the Galibier forced a move of any great quality.....GC contenders too worried about losing a podium place seemingly.
    Tomorrow on the Izoard could be much of the same - fizzle....there will be attacks - but they'll need to be super special if they're gonna make up enough time to seriously threaten Froome before the TT.
    Would like to see Landa make a go of it - get his feet on the podium - he deserves it.

Cheers.

You're a hard man to please Norder, I've a lot more sympathy for those taking Sky on, here's my take on it. Sky did dominate, but not because they were 'allowed' to, but because they're the strongest team, and when they decide to set a pace, there's not a lot any of the other teams can do about it, even if they wanted to. First game of the season we're away to Chelsea, I guarantee you that Chelsea will dominate that game, and not because we'll let them dominate, but because they're a far stronger team than us and we won't be able to stop them dominating, same with Sky.

Contador, with nothing to lose, was off up the road on the first climb on a suicide mission, almost certainly doomed to fail, imo it would have been insanity for any of Aru, Bardet or Uran to go with him with the Telegraphe and Galibier looming in the far distance. And it ended as suicide missions tend to do, with the demise of the attacker.

I think you're being a bit unfair criticising riders for protecting their podium place, not many get the priviledge and honour of stepping onto that podium at the end of the TdF and it's surely something worth fighting for and protecting. And to be fair, they're also up against one of the all time Tour greats, the best climber in the peleton, the best TT rider in the peleton, with by some distance the strongest team. They can dream, they can try, but deep down they know by this point in the race that only an accident can realistically beat Froome, and that podium place is the best they can hope for.

I'm not trying to be contentious Norder, you see it differently which is fair enough, even though I may disagree, I enjoy reading how you see the day's racing.

No problem Sinkov....fully respect your take on it also....and whether we agree or disagree - doesn't matter as long as it stays part of the enjoyment.

...it's possible Chelsea will dominate the game - though that alone doesn't necessarily mean that we dont have players on the pitch - that as individuals - wont perform equally or better than their opposites.

Contador attacked on the Croix de fer with about 60km to the finish.....chased and caught the front group who were 6mins ahead - Roglic attacked and el pistolero went again....was dropped - and then caught by the yellow jersey group at the top of the Galibier - he nearly made it over, if he hadn't seen such a strong Roglic disappearing into the distance, then who knows....perhaps he would have made it all the way....but eventually finishing with Martin/Aru and Meintjes - he was still only 31 seconds behind Froome/Bardet/Uran.... .
    That was a true TDF ride of pure guts and experience....and one that shows how to blow away the likes of a Sky Machine....if only the others would've follow suit.....would have been a classic, but like many things these days, all too sterile....and rips the life from it.

Cheers.

Stage 18 - Briancon - Izoard....179.5km.

the last chance saloon...with a Summit Finish !!!

Last edited by Norder; 20-07-2017 at 12:12 AM.

I can agree with you on this Norder, if Aru, Bardet and Uran had gone with Contador, it certainly would have been a spectacular day's racing and a lot more fun. I can't believe any of them ever gave it a moment's thought though, like pro footballers these days, I don't think they see their job as entertaining the public. And maybe they have some justification, the public don't pay to watch them, so it's their sponsors they have to keep onside, not Joe Public.

I don't think Contador attacking 60k out is right Norder, if it had been then I could have agreed that the others should have gone with him. It was quite early on the climb that he went, 123k out according to Cycling News, with two HCs and a Cat1 in front of him. He gave it a good go, I said it was suicidal, if not that it was certainly incredibly ambitious.

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post
    Contador attacked on the Croix de fer with about 60km to the finish.....
    Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I don't think Contador attacking 60k out is right Norder.....It was quite early on the climb that he went, 123k out according to Cycling News
    also just checked Sinkov....re-wound the highlights, which showed - he went at "125km into the race" - race total distance 183km - therefore he had 58km to ride to the finish.

also agree....regarding the Sponsors and management and control freak team orders that are running the show.

Graeme Obree.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graeme_Obree

Cheers.

Cycling News Stage Report,

13.47 Quintana and Contador jumped together from the front of the field, and they are getting away.
    13.49 123km remaining from 183km, Contador and Quintana at 4.58. There is 123km to go.
    13.51 Quintana can't stay with Contador....the Colombian comes back.
    13.54 Quintana can't do it...Contador takes off alone.
    14.18 113km remaining from from 183km.

And at 17.27, almost four hours later, Contador rolled over the finish line. So when he took off he had over 120km, two HCs, a Cat One and 3 hours 40 minutes riding in front of him. I don't think suicide mission is an unfair description.

If you check the stage profile you so kindly put up for us each day Norder you can see it clearly, he was about 60km into the race when he made his move, not 60km from the finish.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)