+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Were You One Of The Lucky Ones?

My sister got married on the day of the final. I was at the Green Dragon, Kimberworth where the reception was held (upstairs) so I had to keep nipping downstairs to the bar where the only t.v. was, but even then it was difficult to get a view with all the fellas crowded round. I was 13 at the time and the landlord kept telling me that I shouldn't be in the bar area so I spent more time upstairs with the women sipping sherry ha-ha. Great memories of that day but not of the match, but thankfully I saw all the highlights on the news etc in the days following the final. While we're on the subject, can anyone tell me where the great Gordon Banks was born? Sheffield seem to have laid claim to him being born there but I always thought that he was from Catcliffe, and surely that's in Rotherham.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Nez View Post
    My sister got married on the day of the final. I was at the Green Dragon, Kimberworth where the reception was held (upstairs) so I had to keep nipping downstairs to the bar where the only t.v. was, but even then it was difficult to get a view with all the fellas crowded round. I was 13 at the time and the landlord kept telling me that I shouldn't be in the bar area so I spent more time upstairs with the women sipping sherry ha-ha. Great memories of that day but not of the match, but thankfully I saw all the highlights on the news etc in the days following the final. While we're on the subject, can anyone tell me where the great Gordon Banks was born? Sheffield seem to have laid claim to him being born there but I always thought that he was from Catcliffe, and surely that's in Rotherham.
    Apparently Nez it was Tinsley

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Tinsley? bloody hell that should be classed as Rotherham ... owt at this side of the viaduct is Rotherham as far as I'm concerned ha-ha.

Thanks for that info Lincs. So he was only just born in Sheffield then, right on the border with Rotherham, typical.

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post

Not exactly

Banks was born in Abbeydale Sheffield, family moved to Tinsley where Banks grew up. Later he moved to Catcliffe.

I think that's right. Banks' Pottery shop was in Catcliffe (run by his sister-in law) and his mate who drove our local mobile butcher's van was his "chauffeur" for Stoke matches, and lived in Catcliffe too. For younger readers - mobile shops were big in the sixties!

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Nez View Post
    Tinsley? bloody hell that should be classed as Rotherham ... owt at this side of the viaduct is Rotherham as far as I'm concerned ha-ha.

Thanks for that info Lincs. So he was only just born in Sheffield then, right on the border with Rotherham, typical.
    I think Sheffield can keep Tinsley!

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Not exactly

Banks was born in Abbeydale Sheffield, family moved to Tinsley where Banks grew up. Later he moved to Catcliffe.
    Grist, you smart a.rse but bang on fella.

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    ey up Arch. I know that White City was used (as well as Wemberlee of course) no recollection of the Uruguay player
    Eyup wrinkly, Uruguay had 3 players sent off in same game v Germany in QF, J.Cortes was sent off and has he was leaving field he ran over and kicked the ref (just like i felt like doing satdy) resulting in a 6 match ban, Uruguay 0 Germany 4.

Gate receipts for the final was £204,805 which at the time was a record for a football match anywhere in the world. The one game at White city was Uruguay 2 v France 1. att. 45,662 gate rec..£31,667 16s an a tanner.

Quote Originally Posted by Archiemiller View Post
    Eyup wrinkly, Uruguay had 3 players sent off in same game v Germany in QF, J.Cortes was sent off and has he was leaving field he ran over and kicked the ref (just like i felt like doing satdy) resulting in a 6 match ban, Uruguay 0 Germany 4.
    The qf game West Germany 4 Uruguay 0 was at Hillsborough not White City

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast