+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Millers v Leicester 1968.

Millers v Leicester 1968.

Just found a video on You tube, of our 5th round cup-tie at home to Leicester City,only the second time we've ever reached that far in the FA cup. 1967/68 was a very strange season,(my first as a spectator).
    A terrible relegation, but a marvellous cup run, beating Wolves, Villa and scaring The Foxes to death. For old-timers, there is the magic of all the old names, Quinn, Hill, Bentley etc. Not to mention Tommy Doc!, plus a very young Opposition striker called Rodney Fern!
    For the young'uns, a full Millmoor!

I was there. Remember too the Wolves game. I remember against leicester they murdered us in the first half but we got back into it in the second. At 1:1 with 3 or 4 minutes left we were all guns blazing and my favourite player Steve Downes screwed a shot over the bar from a yard out. Gutted.

Thanks for that jocks, here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRwXaSihpms

Never seen so many men wearing ties in Rotherham before, anyone know how many were there that day as Millmoor looked packed. Funny when we broke in the first minute and David Coleman was lost for words for ages as he obviously didn't know the player's name.

Nice to see the magic sponge in action. One minute it could soothe a sore pair of balls and the next it was all over someones face. Good job germaphobia hadn't been invented then

The attendance was 23500. The attendance against Wolves was only 14881. It has been suggested to me that I have misremembered and that the over the bar incident was a shot diverted by Neil Hague. All these years I thought it was Steve Downes and I was right behind the goal at the Railway End about three yards away. Memory is a strange thing.
    Last edited by monty_rhodes; 06-05-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Great FA Cup run, by our standards anyway. Went to all those games. We were also awarded the "Giant Killers Cup" by the Daily Mirror in recognition of our performances.

This was 10 days before my first ever game versus Plymouth Argyle. Just looked it up and there were apparently 16,000 at that game. I probably thought it was always like that!

Really enjoyed watching that!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasterman View Post
    This was 10 days before my first ever game versus Plymouth Argyle. Just looked it up and there were apparently 16,000 at that game. I probably thought it was always like that!
    Plymouth was a night match and for a second successive game (and for reasons I can no longer remember) I stood on the Railway End and spoke to 4 or 5 Plymouth supporters who'd made the journey. Innocent days then before every second supporter was a bogus doctor, ******* speculator or big-time racing punter.

Thanks for the link.

I remember this one well and the replay at Filbert Street.
    Didn't get to see the replay till extra time as the match was a sell out with more than 40,000 there. They opened the gates at full time so we did see us lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper64Frank View Post
    Thanks for the link.

I remember this one well and the replay at Filbert Street.
    Didn't get to see the replay till extra time as the match was a sell out with more than 40,000 there. They opened the gates at full time so we did see us lose.
    Didn't go to the replay as couldn't afford away travel in those days. Had we got through we would have played Everton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast